cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sagem 2704N connection problems with my Sky+ connector and Three's HomeSignal bo

thedyes0
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Sagem 2704N connection problems with my Sky+ connector and Three's HomeSignal bo

It's wifi mostly, but has occasionally happend to ethernet although it doesn't say that it's to do with an authentication problem. It's random, it happens all sorts of times during the day
adie:quote
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Sagem 2704N connection problems with my Sky+ connector and Three's HomeSignal bo

I think it's worth asking the question just in case, are any of your machines running the latest version of Avast? Two users reporting disconnects, one daily and one more random, see here. If you aren't running Avast, then that's eliminated that potential issue.
thedyes0
Rising Star

Nope, it has nothing to do with Avast (We aren't running it) remember this isn't just computers, it effects ALL devices (Phone, Sky+ Box, Tablet, Laptop, Computer, Three's HomeSignal box, Chromecast and more than likely more) the issue is a lot less on wired connections and computers but it's very common on phones/tablets/sky+ box/threes home signal box/chromecast
adie:quote
Anotherone
Champion

Just for the record, you only need to have Avast on one device, it's causing the 2704n to reboot. Also as mentioned in another thread, the v2 Firmware does not contain any wireless changes.
To recap, if you login using expert_user.html, when you look at device listings in ARP or DHCP, are any of the devices listed as unknown? We know that all devices don't always appear on the Home page, but for those that have done, same question.
To be clear when a disconnect happens, does it happen to all devices at once, or just the individual devices?
Which devices are setup with static IP addresses? Whether or not they are setup with a static IP address, does the "Expires in" (ie the lease time) on the DHCP page ever change? If it does change, as it gets to zero, is that when a problem occurs?
PS. please don't keep quoting immediately preceding posts (as per Forum Rule) just use the reply button just below the last post or use the Quick Reply box.
Groober

thedyes0, do you have Wi-Fi Mode set to "up to 144 Mb/s" or "up to 300 Mb/s" in the advance settings section?
I had lots of problems with N up to 300 Mb/s mode, but being on ADSL it's not like I needed extra bandwidth so dropped down to next setting.
thedyes0
Rising Star

Quote from: Anotherone
Just for the record, you only need to have Avast on one device, it's causing the 2704n to reboot. Also as mentioned in another thread, the v2 Firmware does not contain any wireless changes.
To recap, if you login using expert_user.html, when you look at device listings in ARP or DHCP, are any of the devices listed as unknown? We know that all devices don't always appear on the Home page, but for those that have done, same question.
To be clear when a disconnect happens, does it happen to all devices at once, or just the individual devices?
Which devices are setup with static IP addresses? Whether or not they are setup with a static IP address, does the "Expires in" (ie the lease time) on the DHCP page ever change? If it does change, as it gets to zero, is that when a problem occurs?
PS. please don't keep quoting immediately preceding posts (as per Forum Rule) just use the reply button just below the last post or use the Quick Reply box.

No devices have Avast, none. It's nothing to do with any antiviruses.
None are listed as Unknown
Sometimes it's one device, sometimes all devices.
I've tried all static and all dynamic.
Quote from: Groober
thedyes0, do you have Wi-Fi Mode set to "up to 144 Mb/s" or "up to 300 Mb/s" in the advance settings section?
I had lots of problems with N up to 300 Mb/s mode, but being on ADSL it's not like I needed extra bandwidth so dropped down to next setting.

I've tried both, happens on both of them.
Anotherone
Champion

Well, I don't know if further digging into the config will find anything that could be changed that may improve this situation, I'm more inclined to think it'll be something in the firmware itself. But the v2 firmware won't help with this issue as previously mentioned, also don't upgrade to v2 firmware as is appears to stop the command http://192.168.1.254/dumpcfgdynamic.cmd from being run to get the text version of the config.
How many devices in total are you connecting by the way?
thedyes0
Rising Star

Regardless of how many devices are connected it does it, I had 3 connected (phone, sky+ connector and Three's Homesignal box) and it did it...
dick:quote
Turfedout
Dabbler

Quote from: alhenderson
I'm having the same problem with this awful router.  We got fibre about 3 weeks ago and ever since my Sky Box has reported frequent problems trying to connect to on demand.  I thought I had sorted it the other night when I reset everything and all was fine.  However, I went to download something tonight and again the Sky box is reporting problems connection to On Demand.  A Sky help page suggests changing the Multi-plexing method on the router to be 'LLC Based', but of course I can't do anything useful like that on this router!
Has anyone got any thoughts on this?
Cheers,
Al.

Hi
Does anyone know if this issue has been sorted(other than buying a new router)?
I spoke with PN today and they say not aware of a problem.
My router stays connected for 2/3 hours then disconnects and i have to reset to get up and running again.
thedyes0
Rising Star

Turfedout, Not fixed for me Sad its still plaguing me with problems.
Anotherone
Champion

I assume you still have the Sky Box On-Demand problem Turfedout?
I don't have one so can't offer direct experience.
The "help" re "LLC-based" should not be applicable to Fibre really it's always been associated with ADSL and PPPoE. Fibre is PPPoE.
Are you using a Wireless connection or Ethernet for this? If Wireless, try an Ethernet cable instead and see what happens.
Whether or not this also has some relationship to having a fixed internal IP address from the Router for the box, I don't know, you could try setting that up.
Another suggestion I've seen for Wireless in relation to this issue is try a different wireless channel.
Have you actually spoken to Sky about the problem?
My gut feeling is it's an odd compatibility problem to do with them, they want to make it difficult for people not using their own Broadband!
thedyes0
Rising Star

This router is still screwing up, it can't even keep a stable connection to my chromecast
spudbynight
Dabbler

I'm having the same issues as others on this thread.
1) Disconnections every day around 12:30ish
2) Regular issues with WiFi. Devices on the network will stop connecting to it and give an "authentication error". This can be resolved by rebooting the route.

I did have a Thomson router initially but recently took out the TV service so needed something that was multicast enabled. I've had two sagemcom routers with exactly the same issues.
What has frustrated me with dealing with plusnet's technical support is their refusal to concede that their might be an issue with the router. I've been told the following :
A) We have had no complaints from customers about this router
B) As you are on your second router the problem can't be the router, it must be something else.
I've gone back to using the Thomson router. I've been on it again for a week and a half without either of the problems coming up again.
Clearly from reading this thread, other people are having exactly the same problems. I've seen Avast mentioned as a possible issue. Is there a fix for it that works? Also, is the a likely cause for both problems?
One poster managed to get a contribution from plusnet towards buying a new router themselves. How did they go about that? I don't really have the money at the moment to spend on a router. What is the cheapest box I can get that will work? I need to have multicast capability and it also needs to be something that allows me to change the DNS settings.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi spudbynight,
Quote from: spudbynight
What has frustrated me with dealing with plusnet's technical support is their refusal to concede that their might be an issue with the router. I've been told the following :
A) We have had no complaints from customers about this router
B) As you are on your second router the problem can't be the router, it must be something else.

How absolutely exasperating, who the hell do they thing they are kidding. If you still have the fault ticket still open where that remark was made, then I'd suggest a blunt response be given, something along the lines of -
I suggest you get your blinkers off and go and read the many threads that there are on your own Forum.There are issues with Port Forwarding, Wireless, Unknown devices...to name but 3 issues. And your Products team seem to be taking no interest whatsoever in these problems.

Are you on Fibre or ADSL?
What firmware version do you currently have on your Thomson? (I assume it's a TG582n - does it have a USB port?).
As far as the Avast issue is concerned, I only know what was in the thread and IIRC the solution was to stop it doing the automated scan. I would have thought Avast would have brought out an update to resolve that anyway?
spudbynight
Dabbler

The remarks were made over the phone. I've given a link to this thread in my ticket.
I'm on Fibre. Currently using the Thomson TG582n Software Release 10.2.5.2.FO
It does have a USB port on the side. I can't use the TV service at the moment as it won't do multicast. A stable internet service is more important than the TV service.