Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAO: CRT -- ECI Modem Latency Problem with G.INP

InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

FAO: CRT -- ECI Modem Latency Problem with G.INP

FAO: Customer Relations Team

I seem to have a problem with an ECI VDSL2 modem. Is there anything you can do to help?

It looks as if G.INP has been enabled on the connection from shortly after 2pm on 22nd March.
There was no loss of PPP session (just a few lost packets,) but an immediate 8 or 9 ms increase in baseline latency which has persisted ever since.
(The rumblings of peak time packet loss also visible on the ping graph have been going on for some months now on the busiest nights of the week and are not related: presumably a separate BT capacity problem.)

The street cabinet is within sight and the latency on the connection has been a steady 5 or 6 ms since it was installed.
Upstream throughput seems to be lowered, but downstream is OK (it's a 40/20 connection).

Can I expect a firmware update to be automatically pushed to the modem by BT in due course in order to fix the problem, or are you able to arrange to swap out a Huawei?

Thanks.

EDIT: It may be useful to confer with Andrews & Arnold (and other ISPs,) who are seeing the same thing.
---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
216 REPLIES 216
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: FAO: CRT -- ECI Modem Latency Problem with G.INP

I reported the same problem with my ECI modem here
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136287.176.html
For your line, have you noticed a drop in the upstream speed returned from speed tests ?
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
InterZoom
Rising Star

Yes:
Quote from: InterZoom
Upstream throughput seems to be lowered, but downstream is OK (it's a 40/20 connection).
---
Troubleshooting:
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Plusnet do not provide the modems they come from BT openreach during the fibre install and are only replaced if faulty, if you want to change one your going to have buy one off ebay or the like, or you can simply wait for when open reach start  ECI G.INP roll outs which begin in April but there is no way of knowing when you will get the firmware update the roll out can take months to complete. 
InterZoom
Rising Star

An acknowledgement from the CRT that there is a problem and an assurance that it will be fixed will do me fine.
---
Troubleshooting:
deathtrap
Grafter

@ Terranova667 the ECI rollout plan is for the ECI FTTC cabs ,as only the Huawei FTTC cabs have been updated to use G.inp The ECI modem will not update by remote firmware  upgrade on a G.imp enabled line  this according to a BT openreach source  will require a DLM reset  by a engineer  which will put the line back on the wide open profile as it was at time of installation , only then will the eci modem update it's firmware via remote upgrade ,
My line was already interleaved at the time G.inp was enabled this added extra latency totalling 27ms  and sync speed was down to around 70mbps, put the unlocked huawei modem into use and a day or some later  back to full sync rate and latency  1ms higher than when on fast path
If you want to use the ECI modem it will need a bt engineer to reset  dlm
InterZoom
Rising Star

The ECI modem has been fine.
I'm happy with whatever the Customer Relations Team want to do to fix the problem.
---
Troubleshooting:
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If an ECI modem has been in use recently, it most likely will have automatically updated its firmware before G.INP is rolled out. The DLM reset would only be needed if the ECI modem had not been in use and so wouldn't have had the chance to update its firmware in advance of the G.INP rollout.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Are you sure there has been recent firmware update for the ECI modems?
I've not read anything recent on kitz forum or here.  
I've only read comments to suggest updates may 'perhaps' to be pushed out to ECI kit from early next month.
(I've been using my ECI modem uninterrupted for past 5 months until yesterday.  I can see G.INP stats clocking up on my unlocked HG612)
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
pwatson
Rising Star

It does seem that there's the massive assumption that this is down to the implementation of G.INP...?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

G.INP is not particularly new technology - it's just BT are only now starting to use it. So I doubt the ECI modem would necessarily need firmware released last month. There would be no problem with having the support in the firmware and configured so that it could be used done well in advance of it being enabled at the cabinets.
Melancholie
Grafter

That's an odd time for DLM to intervene. It should only really intervene over night unless it thinks there's a bigger issue.
On the subject of needing a DLM reset before the modem gets firmware pushed, I wrote the below in a different thread:
DLM and the TR-069 firmware push are different things managed by different systems. A DLM reset will accomplish nothing, a reboot of the modem might.
As soon as modems are on the correct firmware they will go onto the proper G.inp profile - as far as the central DLM system is confirmed they are on that profile anyway.
If there's a problem with the modems and they aren't responding to firmware updates, even after a reboot, Openreach may have a few truck rolls ahead of them to swap modems that are failing to update out
InterZoom
Rising Star

For those who may be interested but frustrated by a lack of stats etc., it may be useful to know that the length of the cable from the modem to the cabinet is 110 metres, passing no possible sources of new electrical noise.
There is no internal wiring in play: it's a brand new line which passes straight through the wall to the modem on the other side.
The cabinet is Huawei. Picture attached.
---
Troubleshooting:
Melancholie
Grafter

Just looking at this, if your baseline latency went up by 8ms this is less than the issues with G.inp seem to be inducing. Those AAISP and the punters on here have noticed interleave of 16ms, 8ms each way, being applied.
Wonder if this is actually a G.inp issue or just DLM has kicked in?
Raise a ticket or perhaps wait for the forum bods to have a look at your line profile and see if it is showing as having G.inp or an interleaved profile present?
The issue AAISP mentioned shows G.inp as the profile even though there's clearly interleave there.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

My latency haven't been affect G.INP this morning. Before ping was 12ms and afterward ping still the same 12ms.