cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jitter and packet loss

wattzhammer
Dabbler

jitter and packet loss

Hello for the past week or so my connection has been playing me up and have been getting bad lags playing any of my online games my connection is geting 20-30 jitter on the line and packet loss on and off and it is making gaming unbearable  Cry can somebody help me get this resolved please
i have a technicolor tg582n plusnet router (which is pretty hot to touch at all times) which is connected via my pc with a wired connection

*EDIT i have taken the faceplate off and plugged my router into the test socket and is no different
7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: jitter and packet loss

I've just had a look at this and from first glance it seems like you're maxing out the upload on your account. Can you try stopping any uploads you're doing and try testing your ping again?
Your upload speed is also lower than I'd expect so I'm going to uncap it for you, this should complete on Monday.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
wattzhammer
Dabbler

Hi Chris , Just went up to kids room and it looks like my son had left his laptop on all week with a torrent that had finished downloading and was on upload constantly lol ,i've turned it off and all has resumed to normal Smiley needless to say he isnt allowed the wifi password no more lol ,thank you for lifting the upload cap
wattzhammer
Dabbler

think i may have spoke to soon , with nothing connected to the net aside from my PC it's all gone to crap again 😕
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's possible it could be the after effects of the torrent with others still trying to download from your son's PC, but I would have thought that would have ended by now.
Have you looked at the error counts being logged by your router?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

The upload uncap has completed so that should help.
Are you still seeing issues?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
wattzhammer
Dabbler

seems to have cleared up and back to normal

and the upload speed is much better ty Smiley
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Excellent, I was hoping it'd be something like a torrent when I saw the upload initially.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.