cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking the age old question: Will my router work?

CL01
Grafter

Asking the age old question: Will my router work?

Hi there, I am thinking of changing over to fibre and I am wondering if I can use my current ADSL router. BEFORE YOU REACH FOR YOUR KEYBOARD... I am not using the standard PlusNet router. I am using a TP-Link N600 router. It does have a WAN Ethernet port and it does have PPPoE. The FAQ specifies cable routers with WAN and PPPoE but will my ADSL router with WAN and PPPoE?
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Asking the age old question: Will my router work?

It does have a WAN Ethernet port and it does have PPPoE.
If that's the case then it will work. If you give us the exact model number then we can double check.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CL01
Grafter

Thanks for the lightning fast reply. The router is a TP-Link W8980.
taras
Grafter

from the manual on page 22.
Choose  Network > WAN Settings and then select pppoe.. add in your username and pw. you may need to to tweek the other settings to your needs
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TD-W8980#down
CL01
Grafter

Ok, thank you.
MoneyMan
Dabbler

Sorry to ask a similar question, but...
I have a Netgear DGND3700 router, which I've found works very well on my ADSL2+, and would like to keep using it once the Plusnet fibre is installed next week.
From reading round, I thought I had a v2 router, which appears to be compatible, and works well, with fibre.  However, I've now worked out that I actually have a v1, and have read that after a firmware update, the v1 doesn't work with fibre.  I have fw version 1.0.0.17_1.0.17, whichI think is the latest version.
My plan had been to use the BTOR modem, plug in the 3700, and leave the rest of my internal network etc. as before.
Does anybody have experience of using this router with fibre?
Thanks
taras
Grafter

check the wan seetings on the netgear gui, if it supports pppoe (which it should) then it should be a simple case of plugging a cable into the wan gigabit port of the netgear and then into the or modem and just supplying the username /pw in the negear gui
MoneyMan
Dabbler

Thanks for your help - the router does indeed offer PPPoE under encapsulation, so when fibre is up and running next week, I'll just try it and see!  I'll post the outcome.
Thanks again