Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any capacity issues?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Any capacity issues?

Edit: Below observations are not related to the Plusnet network, see here.
Pretty shocking here at the moment on pcl-bng02 Undecided (no idea what was going on with the upload on that second test):

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mlmclaren
Grafter

OK so this issues has been ongoing for some time now, and while it did look like it was being resolved I've now noticed it hasn't changed much at all and living scared of making any changes at home that will lead to PPP session dropping (if Plusnet doesn't boot us from a gateway that is) is stupid.
Now I don't care if the issues lie within BT Wholesale's links or Plusnet's Gateways, What I do care about is the issue it has been having on my service and knowing that I can change provider and fix it...
Now I obviously made a mistake coming to Plusnet, I'm told I shouldn't expect much as it's cheap... however my reason for joining Plusnet was the advanced feature that other providers didn't offer... (Static IP) and also the installation of a modem and not some useless AiO Modem/Router, nothing to do with the price though the offer I received upon signing up was a bonus of course.
I can't say I'm totally disappointed with Plusnet though as the service they have provided at my other address has been fine and every time I've asked for something to be changed because i've fancied having a meddle with things like SNR and Error Correction however keeping a 3 megabit ADSL line in order isn't really a tough job, If this line in question was to ever be eligible for a Faster service such as FTTC then I wouldn't be able to trust Plusnet to be the providers of this, however the good news is that it is at the bottom of any list for consideration for upgrades currently so it's staying put.
Anyway ill get to the point, I'm not happy at the service I've received for the past 3 months and with little to no sign of improvement I've done much homework on other providers and how they would provide a potential service to myself and what advantages or disadvantage I would have if I switched.
I've found that I'm one of the lucky few that has access to a certain providers LLU network at my exchange as well as a few other major ISP's LLU equipment too, so avoiding the BT Wholesale links from my exchange is on the Pro's list for sure.... I've also found that they provide an advanced feature that would be a very useful addition to my connection and network...
I feel that after the 3 months of waiting and the bus still not turning up, I'm due some sort of goodwill gesture and here is my proposal, The OPTION to have my early termination fee's halved and my MAC to be on my way!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

pcl-ag05 no better :'(:

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

ptw-bng01 (ouch!):

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@mlmclaren - you are correct, it really is a joke that this has been going on for so long. Exasperating really.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Somethings gotta change.... And currently the best change would be the provider of my IP...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

After midnight and approaching normal (still on pcl-ag04):
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chrcoluk
Grafter

wow looks like was a bad night.
I noticed my peak time tbb graph showed more latency variance than the past couple weeks, but after I hopped my speedtests were fine, I wonder what the problem is/was.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Seems like my observations may have been a false alarm.
I've awoken today to find that speeds were still abysmal:

Hopped around and every gateway I hit seemed pretty nasty so I reset my network adapters/Powerlines and tried again:

So looks like it was my network, and not Plusnet's causing my issues Embarrassed

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero

This morning, still on the same gateway, nothing changed at my end:
jelv
Seasoned Hero

After such a dire night with many reports of significant issues I would have thought there would have been some official comment posted by Plusnet!
InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Expectations are the source of so many disappointments.
---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It looks like pcl-bng02 was emptied of users sometime before 6am this morning, and that's one of the gateways with the most users (85k), so presumably the network could be even more out of balance now than it was yesterday.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

17/06/2015 @ 11:03
Earlier this morning at around 5.35am a number of customers may have become disconnected from the internet.

http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=messages&ispservice_id=adsldial
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Or even http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1434535380.htm
It seems quite badly out of balance atm, with pcl-bng02 only very slowly starting to recover.
It will be "interesting" to see what effects that has at peak time tonight.