cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any capacity issues?

stoswald
Grafter

Re: Any capacity issues?

I find it odd that the number of users on the network 24/7 varies so little, but causes such big problems.  Sad
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It's the volume of traffic that is relevant, not how many are connected.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Gateways are being run way too hot!  Undecided
Yesterday daytime was interesting too... very little usage from my end but BQM below shows the issue..
Seems that escaping the issues isn't possible anymore... Telehouse servers have stability issues and City Lifeline have both stability and bandwidth issues.
Yet according to Plusnet my agreement is still not void as I can transfer some amounts of data through their network.... it don't matter that I can't stream RADIO. they also don't seem to be concerned that their might be a fault... almost like they know what the issue is  Roll_eyes
Customer service is starting to suck at Plusnet....  Amazing how things change once your out of the cooling off period... missold service... had no reply to my complaints ticket for nearly a week.... and last message from Plusnet seemed
like they where washing there hands of the issue and saying that I'm talking rubbish.... at least that's how it seems.
AndyH
Grafter

If you can't stream radio, then I very much doubt it's a Plusnet wide issue otherwise these forums would be littered with people reporting the same thing.
g1000
Grafter

Quote from: jafreer
I really hope Plusnet are taking a good hard look at the data g1000 is providing as here is someone taking a lot of time and effort to help them resolve this issue.
Meantime, we are dealing with appalling peak time speeds.

Thank you very much jafreer. I am indeed doing everything I can to assist, and am giving Plusnet every chance and more than enough time to fix it.
However, if things are not resolved come 1st June, then I have to reluctantly request to be released from my contract without penalty. Hopefully my efforts will be recognised should this situation materialise...
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: mlmclaren
Seems that escaping the issues isn't possible anymore... Telehouse servers have stability issues and City Lifeline have both stability and bandwidth issues.

Online Time: 46 day(s) 06:04:59

I appear to be on the one LNS that is stable and on the one endpoint that isn't congested.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I am pretty convinced at this point that only a few possible scenarios now exist...
1) Plusnet know what is causing the issue but are not investing the resources to resolve it.
2) Plusnet don't know what is causing the issue but are not investing the resources to find out the cause.
Scenarios I don't think likely...
1) Plusnet cannot figure out what is causing the problem despite trying.

I think provided the volume of complaints is low enough, it is probably seen as an acceptable way to operate the network. Of course we will never really know the true volume of complaints, as this forum is likely not representative.
I think there will also be plenty of users that won't complain, but just change provider.
I have a feeling that operating the network this way is possibly not uncommon with the low cost providers. What is unfortunate is that Plusnet were seen as one of the better providers and I think they will slowly lose that reputation.
The updates from Plusnet are welcome, albeit rather generic.
It would be nice to get a straight answer to the question - Do Plusnet accept that their network has capacity issues during times of peak usage that causes severe throughput problems amongst a significant number of users?
I don't believe for one minute that the only users experiencing peak time slowdowns are the ones commenting on this forum. I suppose the real question is how many people notice the slowdowns. If not enough, then maybe it is an acceptable way to operate the network. It does make a mockery of speed estimates however, as sync speeds and throughput speeds are drifting further and further apart.

chrcoluk
Grafter

Some isp's will deliberately ignore problems unless enough customers complain, in other words they wait until they forced to, it keeps their costs as low as possible.  Virgin media are known for this.
Are plusnet doing this? dont know, their stance is now they have carried out some upgrades and they have/had problematic endpoints.  But they are also saying they have found poor performing BTw backhaul routes and these are currently been investigated.  This latter one I will wait for the result, but obviously if it keeps going on for months without updates I will start pressing again.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Now twice in a row I get good performance first time, not strictly first time as I didnt test on the bng's but after changing my router firmware again and reconnecting, the first ag I connected to is fine, this time I am on ag03.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@ignition - you could try disconnecting and reconnecting to determine if any peak time issues materialise. This may provide valuable information for Plusnet.
I have a feeling you won't want to do that test (and I don't blame you) as I have a feeling what the outcome will be Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

... Telehouse servers have stability issues and City Lifeline have both stability and bandwidth issues.

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what evidence you have for making such a claim. For example, until recent BTw maintenance, I had been connected to ptn-ag01 (IIRC) for around 3 months.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
If you can't stream radio, then I very much doubt it's a Plusnet wide issue otherwise these forums would be littered with people reporting the same thing.

Errm  Crazy many people are reporting issues with streaming... I used radio as an example and when Radio is affected generally everything else is too!
Browsing is also becoming a royal pain in the arse too, pages hanging, timing out, random errors... then loading like nothings wrong a second later
I would also like to know what with all the kitter on my connection now too...
This is the last 24 hours

This is normal just last week but now thing have changed
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: Ignition

Online Time: 46 day(s) 06:04:59

I appear to be on the one LNS that is stable and on the one endpoint that isn't congested.

Glad to here, I was too but then I had to go offline for a bit!
Suppose some people are just lucky!
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
... Telehouse servers have stability issues and City Lifeline have both stability and bandwidth issues.

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what evidence you have for making such a claim. For example, until recent BTw maintenance, I had been connected to ptn-ag01 (IIRC) for around 3 months.

Just simple testing really...
If I'm connected to either PTW or PTN then my BQM's show lots of jitter and ping spikes like they are now but bandwidth on tests is still good (not perfect) but then I go to PCL and ping jitter and spikes disappears but then speed goes to cock.
AndyH
Grafter

If I'm connected to either PTW or PTN then my BQM's show lots of jitter and ping spikes like they are now but bandwidth on tests is still good (not perfect) but then I go to PCL and ping jitter and spikes disappears but then speed goes to cock.

Are you running some kind of service 24/7

The pings look pretty consistent on your BQM.