Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any capacity issues?

deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Any capacity issues?

Quote from: chrcoluk
the akamai throtting isnt tbb and also its down to 30kbs
Well if i download something from BBC iplayer i get the usual 12mbps from the akamai CDN , which akamai content is throttled ?
chrcoluk
Grafter

deathtrap
Grafter

Lol, looks like it's out of resources ,1.7kbps  the host a23-192-162-98.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com does have a lot of packet loss 16%
chrcoluk
Grafter

yet its fine via a proxy Smiley
deathtrap
Grafter

Well they can't blame a peering partner as they peer direct according to the tracert, and now it's downloading @ 8.9MB/s
chrcoluk
Grafter

still broken here.
g1000
Grafter

Hopping-style tests, Mon 11th May summary. Potentially some useful information for Plusnet.
- Straight after a good session on pcl-bng03, I reconnected directly to a bad session also on pcl-bng03, please see below for timestamps.
- I believe this is the sort of information Plusnet are looking for, as it may pin down the difference in routes, so hopefully it can be analysed.
- Our old friends pcl-bng01, pcl-bng03, plc-bng04 yet again seem to be significantly associated with the bad sessions
- This time I stayed on a bad session after finishing, so it can be analysed by Plusnet over the next 24h or so if they so wish
- Speeds are now perfect off-peak, so it is a throughput issue only at peak-time, not a 24/7 fault
- I have a BQM setup now and will do speed tests this evening staying on this session, it will be interesting to see if there is associated latency and/or packet loss, as Plusnet said there was none in their replication, as I understand it
- It is still very easy for me to land on a bad session, and I am still in-between Sheffield and Leeds. The data as a whole may help Plusnet to compare why they find it difficult (but not impossible) to replicate at Sheffield and Leeds, and help pin down the problem.
ptn-bng01:

ptn-bng02:

ptn-bng01:

pcl-bng03:

pcl-bng03:

ptw-bng02:

pcl-bng04:

pcl-bng01:
stoswald
Grafter

It's slowtime!!!
mlmclaren
Grafter

Been "rubbish" all day... something happened around 2am and my line been very jittery since, might be just gateway though, I'm on Telehouse North at the moment (ptn-ag01) which has been a bit "rubbish" for a while now.

So unstable!
Censorship is a female dog!
mlmclaren
Grafter

Also... would I be correct in saying that most are aiming to use Telehouse gateways currently as City Lifeline's are the primary ones for traffic to be routed through hence them being the worst affected for the slow downs during congestion periods?Huh
I ask this as I was holding onto my Telehouse Gateways for the issues highlight above but now see they are struggling more than City Lifeline.... mainly latency/jitter wise, every time I'm connected to a Telehouse gateway (West or North) I see jitter in all my BQM's and see more variable ping times, I can only assume this to be down to everyone swapping around the gateways.
g1000
Grafter

So looking at tonight I can confirm:
- staying on a bad session continues bad come peak hours the next day(s)
- 1x speed tests, 'real' downloads and streaming run at a fraction of expected speed
- the BQM shows normal latency but packet loss at peak hours (absent when on good session), I therefore find different to Plusnet that there is no associated packet loss with this problem
- the most shocking thing is web browsing. It is sometimes exceptionally slow in a way that the speed tests cannot predict, download speed of even 5 Mbps is more than enough for good browsing. This is the 1st time I have really stayed on a bad session and I now understand ppl complaining about web browsing (I used to think they must have some different issue because throughput is not that bad). DNS did not make any difference. For example, 2 pages I visit frequently and know should be fast at peak-times sometimes took over 1 minute to load - eBay.co.uk & cnn.com, they loaded blazing fast using 4G tethering.
- I didn't hear anything from Plusnet to request otherwise, so I will leave this session tomorrow morning as indicated since performance is intolerable

InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: g1000
- the most shocking thing is web browsing. It is sometimes exceptionally slow in a way that the speed tests cannot predict,

That is correct, yes.
---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
bustermissy1961
Grafter

BT is implementing a one-touch project to upgrade MSE, MSC, IEA, EES and EEA devices

I was looking at Zen and their maintenance details page and it say this above is happening at my Cabinet/exchange. im not sure which, could this be to correct the congestion at my exchange that i was told was going to be upgraded, it is also happening on the 14th may from midnight to 6am.my connection hasnt disconnected so far as im still on the same IP Address.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I really hope Plusnet are taking a good hard look at the data g1000 is providing as here is someone taking a lot of time and effort to help them resolve this issue.
Meantime, we are dealing with appalling peak time speeds.
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: mlmclaren
Also... would I be correct in saying that most are aiming to use Telehouse gateways currently as City Lifeline's are the primary ones for traffic to be routed through hence them being the worst affected for the slow downs during congestion periods?Huh

No and no respectively. Most aren't aiming to use any gateway and aren't bouncing their lines to go to a specific POP, and there are no primary ones, Plusnet change weighting depending on subscribers on each gateway. They aim to balance load across the endpoints. If an endpoint with plenty of room happens to be in a particular DC and that's what Plusnet's RADIUS tells BT it wants you to use that's where you go. City Lifeline gets more subscribers because that's where the majority of the endpoints are.
http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml#customerNumb...
Is good for this purpose. Ignore the abrupt drops and recoveries, these are reporting problems, not actual sessions dropping. The endpoints seem pretty well balanced for right now, so no evidence of a mass bunch of attempts to try and use Telehouse.