Did you mean: 

Any capacity issues?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Any capacity issues?

Quote from: AndyH
Quote from: Anotherone
I really don't understand what you are getting at, or what the relevance of that remark is!  There is either congestion somewhere (or in several places perhaps) or there is not

Well seeing how jelv is on a totally different network to other users on this thread, it's pretty relevant. If he sees the same issue as other people (and the symptoms are identical), then it limits the source of where the problem might be.

Making a remark like that out of any context is IMHO misleading. 20CN traffic may be routed differently over part of the BT Backhaul, but at the end of the day the traffic can end up going through Colindale or Faraday and on the same "ag" gateways as WBC (21CN & Fibre). It also makes the assumption that there is only one source of the problem.
So perhaps you'd care to state where you think the source of the problem is - I don't recall having seen you say that (apologies if I've missed it).
Even those on Fibre Essentials expect their Gaming Traffic to be Line Speed as advertised.

Plusnet do not advertise something they cannot offer.
Gaming traffic is prioritised, but not guaranteed. There are too many points where the service could be contended outside of Plusnet's direct control.

Andy, I think you need to look at the following Plusnet pages -
Broadband download and upload speeds under Residential Products it clearly shows "Applies to: Unlimited, Unlimited Fibre and Unlimited Fibre Extra" - All Day - Download Speed - Line Speed, Upload Speed - Line Speed.
Traffic Management under Traffic prioritisation it shows for all Current residential products - Gaming - Titanium.
I see jelv has provided a link to Plusnet Essentials archive as well.
Whilst there are points outside Plusnet's direct control where traffic contention might exist on occasion, it implies that they need to have purchased sufficient bandwidth from BTw to provide what they promise - which they have claimed they have - in this thread, and for other contention issues it is up to Plusnet to pursue their suppliers BTw/Openreach to get congestion dealt with quickly which is not exactly what appears to have happened here.
Edit: typo/spelling  Embarrassed
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Whilst there are points outside Plusnet's direct control where traffic contention might exist on occasion, it implies that they need to have purchased sufficient bandwidth from BTw to provide what they promise - which they have claimed they have - in this thread, and for other contentions issues it is up to Plusnet to pursue their suppliers BTw/Openreach to get congestion dealth with quickly which is not exactly what appears to have happen here.

Absolutely spot on (apart from the typo: dealth).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

Typo/Spelling corrected - there was more than one Wink
AndyH
Grafter

That page is out dated for quite a few reasons (which you both should know) and I do not think it should exist (can it be found via a link from a main page?!):
It refers to rate limits, which according to the traffic prioritisation page do not exist - We do not apply rate limits to any of our current residential or business products. It also does not make sense if they apply rate limits yet offer full line speed.

Plusnet can aim for line speed, but that's as far as it goes. The only way they can guarantee any throughput their end would be to buy exactly the amount of capacity that matches the total sync speed of every customer. No residential ISP does this though.
Anotherone
Champion

The pages that I have referred to are not out of date. Further more, whatever traffic management was applicable to any particular legacy product is still applicable.
AndyH
Grafter

Fine - so show me:
1) The link to that page from the main site;
2) The rate limits for Fibre Unlimited;
3) Where it says those speeds are guaranteed (other than 'we aim for'...)
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: http
If your current product is not shown on this page, please see our Broadband product archive

jelv's link refers to particular legacy products, I totally disagree with what you have been saying, there are plenty of customers still on legacy products so the pages should exist. Neither of us have said anything about rate limits on Unlimited Fibre (a current product) not to be confused with "Fibre Unlimited" - a legacy product..
Shame you didn't quote the whole remark from the Traffic management page -
We used rate limits with some of our older broadband products to make sure everyone gets a good online experience.

I'm not sure where you get your 'we aim for' remark from, but whatever,  it's not stated on either of the pages Broadband download and upload speeds or Traffic Management
The only way they can guarantee any throughput their end would be to buy exactly the amount of capacity that matches the total sync speed of every customer.

That statement seems to work on the assumption that a significant number of users are on-line maxing their line at the same time, which of course rarely, if ever happens, so really, it is another out of context remark that just doesn't apply and Plusnet do have something that deals with that situation - they call it "abnormal load" - and they have an Abnormal load guide page. Have Plusnet declared the network under abnormal load? No, they haven't..
And further more Plusnet also make the following statement about Traffic Management -
What this means: at busy times, higher priority queues will take bandwidth from the lowest queue(s) currently in use (but never enough to take the lower queue below its minimum bandwidth allowance).

That's is how it's supposed to work and AFAIK it still does, I'm sure Chris or even Dave would come along and state that to be correct.
Now, I note you are taking this further away from your "ideal" topic content mentioned in your reply #742 yet you have ignored and still not answered my question which I will emphasise -
So perhaps you'd care to state where you think the source of the problem is - I don't recall having seen you say that (apologies if I've missed it).
AndyH
Grafter

jelv's link refers to particular legacy products, I totally disagree with what you have been saying, there are plenty of customers still on legacy products so the pages should exist. Neither of us have said anything about rate limits on Unlimited Fibre (a current product) not to be confused with "Fibre Unlimited" - a legacy product..

So why on earth are you bringing it up?! Most, if not everyone, on this thread will be on a current and not a legacy product.
No where does it state that an end user will get line speed 24x7, it's just not possible to offer this. The only thing they can offer is the best available downstream throughput for the time of day, which is what they state in their small print.
I'm not sure where you get your 'we aim for' remark from, but whatever,  it's not stated on either of the pages Broadband download and upload speeds or Traffic Management

It's stated on the first line of the first link - Below are the download and upload speeds we aim for on our Residential and Business broadband products.
Do also note, these speeds are not guaranteed, and you may see lower if the network is busy.
That statement seems to work on the assumption that a significant number of users are on-line maxing their line at the same time, which of course rarely, if ever happens, so really, it is another out of context remark that just doesn't apply and Plusnet do have something that deals with that situation - they call it "abnormal load" - and they have an Abnormal load guide page. Have Plusnet declared the network under abnormal load? No, they haven't..

I suspect that page is also out of date.
My statement does not assume anything. There are so many points of contention before your traffic even reaches Plusnet, that they have little or no control over. Openreach and BT Wholesale give very basic throughput acceptable levels on their ADSL and FTTx products. This is the nature of a low cost shared broadband service.

There are multiple 'problems' on this thread of different sources.
Quite a few people in this thread will be affected by core network issues within the BTw network that have been notified but not yet fixed. Until these problems are resolved, we will not know whether there was also an issue with Plusnet.
You also have to remember that there have been SVLAN issues across the country, and some have taken months to resolve. It's not uncommon for someone to be told one day their SVLAN is green and then a week or even days later for it to be amber.
In terms of something specific to Plusnet, I suspect that there has been an issue with one of the host links at Colombo. This is a theory and I cannot give any evidence to substantiate this, other than some testing I did.
Anotherone
Champion

Whoops, I missed the "we aim for"   Embarrassed
However, the ongoing reference to "these speeds are not guaranteed, and you may see lower if the network is busy." is meant to reflect temporary situations, not a longer term on-going situations.
So why on earth are you bringing it up?! Most, if not everyone, on this thread will be on a current and not a legacy product.

I didn't, you did, after jelv posted info about the legacy products, which with the current products information, shows that users can rightly expect line speed for their gaming (and streaming) with the appropriate prioritisation. It doesn't matter what product the majority are on, anyone who doesn't get the expected performance has a right to expect it to be fixed.
There are multiple 'problems' on this thread of different sources.

.............. There is either congestion somewhere (or in several places perhaps) or there is not

Well seeing how jelv is on a totally different network to other users on this thread, it's pretty relevant. If he sees the same issue as other people (and the symptoms are identical), then it limits the source of where the problem might be.

There seems to be something contradictory in those two posts, however you seem to have proffered what is the likely explanation in your response to my question in your last post. Thank you.
But whilst there may be multiple problems and a number of users may not be expressing their problems in the best manner, a number of your responses come across as an endless defence of Plusnet which is clearly not justified. You either seem to think information pages shouldn't exist or are out-of-date. I don't agree. For a start I don't think Plusnet have changed their approach to Traffic Management, or if they had done so then they would be more than a bit stupid to leave such pages unchanged.
It's no good any of us continuing to hypothesise about this, it needs someone from Plusnet to make a definitive statement that the pages mentioned in recent posts are correct, or if not, what needs correcting.
Whatever the source of the problems, Plusnet need to get them fixed.
Edit: Spelling correction
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It is my firm belief that AndyH is a shill - for Plusnet, BT Wholesale or OpenReach. He has demonstrated on numerous occasions that he has inside information on FTTC upgrade plans without ever posting a link to a public resource where we can look it up for ourselves.
The fact that Plusnet have not posted to this topic to confirm that what Anotherone, myself and several others are saying is correct makes me think that they are very happy to see this topic being derailed with all the FUD.
Lets make something very clear: all products should be delivered as specified by Plusnet even when they are no longer for sale. If they change the specification the customers MUST be notified. That is why details of all the old products are available in the Broadband Product Archive. A route is:
Help & Support
Support Pages
Under broadband: Broadband speed guide
In 6. Be aware of traffic management - there's a link Traffic management guide
Under rate limits -  older broadband products
There's probably other routes to get to the same page - it lists all products sold since 4th April 2005
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

But whilst there may be multiple problems and a number of users may not be expressing their problems in the best manner, a number of your responses come across as an endless defence of Plusnet which is clearly not justified.

I give criticism where I think it's due and deserved.
I think people have been unfairly critical of Plusnet and Chris on this thread. Just because there's been no reported wide-scale issues, does not mean that they've not been looking at all the information provided and seeing if something their end is not working as it should.
Keeping users aware of known network/capacity issues in the BTw network has been done poorly for some time (and I have pointed this out quite a bit). It's required manual input, but obviously no one member of staff has been given this job to do on a daily/weekly basis.
There have been a large number of reported issues with the BTw network since Jan, by quite a few ISPs. It's unfortunate that it's not hit the broadband media headlines as I think this would have given them a kick up the backside.
You either seem to thinks information pages shouldn't exist or are out-of-date. I don't agree.

I could spend an entire day pointing out mistakes in the information pages. The problem is a lot are created and never updated (or even deleted). Even the ordering process contains incorrect information.
Quote from: jelv
It is my firm belief that AndyH is a shill - for Plusnet, BT Wholesale or OpenReach. He has demonstrated on numerous occasions that he has inside information on FTTC upgrade plans without ever posting a link to a public resource where we can look it up for ourselves.

You only need to do business with BTw/Openreach to get access to the said information. Thousands of people have access to it, very few people actually use it.
I don't even live in the UK anymore (I'm happy for any mod to confirm this based on my IP), but I still own a company that does business with BTw/OR.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Now that is a novel place to retire to - at least the weather isn't too bad at present
chrcoluk
Grafter

I can confirm BT wholesale do not display this information to all their customers.  As BT wholesale also have customers that have nothing to do with DSL services.
Anotherone
Champion

I think people have been unfairly critical of Plusnet and Chris on this thread. Just because there's been no reported wide-scale issues, does not mean that they've not been looking at all the information provided and seeing if something their end is not working as it should.

Shooting the messenger is never a good thing, Chris generally does excellent job on this forum in trying to get problems resolved.
There have been a large number of reported issues with the BTw network since Jan, by quite a few ISPs. It's unfortunate that it's not hit the broadband media headlines as I think this would have given them a kick up the backside.

I think this is why people can get the wrong end of the stick. The last quote somewhat conflicts with "there's been no reported wide-scale issues"
As you are a BTw/Openreach customer, why don't you do something about trying to get it to the "broadband media headlines".
Even by using The Register, or TBB to name but two possibilities or in the extreme even OFCOM.
Keeping users aware of known network/capacity issues in the BTw network has been done poorly for some time (and I have pointed this out quite a bit). It's required manual input, but obviously no one member of staff has been given this job to do on a daily/weekly basis.

Indeed you have, and it's frequently been down to Dave to do the updates. However this should be an automated task that's obviously low down on Plusnet's priority list. This is where PUG (as I understand it) have played an active role in the past with the Exchange status checker and it's a great shame that there's not someone with the required abilities to do the required code updates/rewrites and Plusnet bothered to provide assistance for that to be done.
You either seem to think information pages shouldn't exist or are out-of-date. I don't agree.

Again part quotes can leave the wrong impression
You either seem to think information pages shouldn't exist or are out-of-date. I don't agree. For a start I don't think Plusnet have changed their approach to Traffic Management, or if they had done so then they would be more than a bit stupid to leave such pages unchanged.
It's no good any of us continuing to hypothesise about this, it needs someone from Plusnet to make a definitive statement that the pages mentioned in recent posts are correct, or if not, what needs correcting.

I could spend an entire day pointing out mistakes in the information pages. The problem is a lot are created and never updated (or even deleted). Even the ordering process contains incorrect information.

I'm sure we could both do that, quite a few a trivial, but those that give the customer a misleading picture of what they are going to get/are getting need to be fixed quickly. I've been critical of some of those in the ordering process and the time some have persisted has been unacceptable.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: chrcoluk
I can confirm BT wholesale do not display this information to all their customers.  As BT wholesale also have customers that have nothing to do with DSL services.

Nice that you can confirm that - but sadly you're wrong. I'm not going to go into detail, but any CP can get access to Broadband Content through My Applications.
As you are a BTw/Openreach customer, why don't you do something about trying to get it to the "broadband media headlines".
Even by using The Register, or TBB to name but two possibilities or in the extreme even OFCOM.

I've reported numerous times, it rarely makes the headlines though. I made Andrew @ TBB aware earlier in the week, hence his thread about Plusnet speeds. I doubt it's been a widespread enough issue for it to make the headlines.
It's the ISPs that need to be vocal. Plusnet cannot be due to obvious reasons, the other ISPs have been quiet on the issue.