Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any capacity issues?

AndyH
Grafter

Re: Any capacity issues?

I don't disagree with that:

The strange thing is I can reconnect to the same gateway and have a graph without the dips.
deathtrap
Grafter

just as some can get full speed,on single threaded downloads by hopping gateways, probably because each gateway will have multiple endpoints (that are not visible to customers) some of which may become saturated or a close to that,   endpoints and gateway are two different  things
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: deathtrap
some of which may become saturated or a close to that

I think this is unlikely to be the issue as I've been able to replicate the 'problem' at 3am.
chrcoluk
Grafter

on the tbb thread I posted this.
this is why I am not convinced its normal congestion, I think upload congestion wont exist due to the balance of download vs upload on consumer users.
I still have a feeling it could be something related to scanning of traffic, so possibly bottleneck hit on the shapers, or a software bug.
When I had to hop a few days ago because of iplayer basically seizing up, the download was very spiky (effectively stopping and starting) and like yourself upload was very variable, very bizarre. In addition before hopping I was seeing packetloss on tcp ssh packets but nothing showing on pings.
Memphis1985
Grafter

Would like to join the peak time capacity issues club if I may?
Number of weeks now, I've found come peak time I am lucky to get 2-3MBps throughput where I would normally hit 6MBps. Gateway hopping makes no difference it seems.
deathtrap
Grafter

Again tonight another gateway hopping session required as throughput was getting low from 9pm on normal http downloads  and was significantly less  from earlier if trying to use utorrent  50% of what i should get and what i do get outside peak times and that was a well seeded torrent  So is this as others have suggested peak time throttling ?
oh and for laughs  check out  the base latency on this
|
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|               home.gateway.home.gateway -    0 |   51 |   51 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    0 |
|     lo0.10.central10.pcl-bng01.plus.net -    0 |   51 |   51 |   68 |   77 |   85 |   78 |
|                irb.10.PCL-CR02.plus.net -    0 |   51 |   51 |   68 |   78 |  107 |   78 |
|                   ae2.pcl-cr01.plus.net -    0 |   51 |   51 |   69 |   79 |  103 |   78 |
|                   ae1.ptw-cr01.plus.net -    0 |   51 |   51 |   69 |   80 |  117 |   78 |
|                   linx-gw1.thn.ncuk.net -    0 |   51 |   51 |   69 |   79 |  146 |   79 |
|   te2-1-9.star10g.bdr-rt3.thdo.ncuk.net -    3 |   47 |   46 |   69 |   79 |  132 |   78 |
|       te1-1-1-31.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net -    3 |   47 |   46 |   70 |   81 |  138 |   78 |
|             pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com -    0 |   51 |   51 |   69 |   77 |   85 |   78 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
  WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

That must of taken a route via the usa or the moon perhaps, my normal base latency is 11-13ms , needless to say i didn't stay connected to that endpoint/gateway
Melancholie
Grafter

Plusnet Bods,
The Hunslet exchange's workaround appears to have run out of time. There is congestion to the exchange affecting both my connection and, to a much lesser extent, the management VLAN to the MSE.
Broadband:

Hunslet MSE / acc-aln1.lbv-pk
chrcoluk
Grafter

Melanchoille you able to mark your traffic as LCP? Smiley
Memphis1985
Grafter

Again tonight, between 9pm and 10pm my connection throughput and latency went to hell. Almost exactly at 10pm it returned to normal.
deathtrap
Grafter

Had throughput issues again tonight myself from around 9pm till around 10:30pm  and jitter too, i didn't swap gateways as i couldn't be bothered
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Saw on the other technical stuff that saying "Speeds can be affected by traffic management in broadband networks, whereby speeds are throttled back at busy times to avoid congestion. Some ISPs (e.g. Plusnet) clearly state that traffic can be “managed” during busy periods with some services de-prioritised. Other ISPs, including BT Broadband, Zen Internet and Xilo, clearly state that they do not implement any type of traffic management."
thesawdust
Grafter

so if other ISP's don't traffic management. That too can cause congestion?
I've suffered smallest congestion on PlusNET since this thread was created, was quickly resolved by gateway hopping. Now getting a steady 10ms ping and normal speeds  Cheesy
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I appreciate that some of you are still seeing slower than ideal speeds during peak, if you are affected can you try and give us the following information:
Quote from: Chris

TBB Speedtest result: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
Speedtest.net speedtest result: http://www.speedtest.net/wave/ef680776cf64ec88
TBB Ping graph: http://www.thinkbroadband...ping/monitors/create.html (may need a login created)
BT Speedtest (TAP3 would be useful): http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/
@Gateway check result: http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway
Thanks
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

^^ to be honest, I think they cannot be bothered to run through all this tests! As I done mine last month.
AndyH
Grafter

@ Chris - Hopefully this isn't too OT, but can you (Plusnet) see the data from our Samknows boxes (for those of us that have them)? There were a few large UK ISPs listed here https://www.samknows.com/isp, but Plusnet don't seem to be listed.