Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something wrong

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Something wrong

My access to the Internet seems subjectively slower today and my broadband speed is now down a couple of Mbps after a loss of connection earlier.
But looking at the router logs I keep seeing "SNTP Unable to contact server: 212.159.13.50" and ".... 212.159.13.49"
The first is the Plusnet timeserver, ntp.plus.net and as my router is stuck permanently on "Date: 01-01-2000" with no current time update, something is wrong somewhere. Are the PlusNet timeservers down?
90 REPLIES 90
zapto
Grafter

Re: Something wrong

I can reach the PlusNet NTP servers ok. Can you Trace route to them? You could manually set the time and then use something like uk.pool.ntp.org for NTP.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Has your router ever shown the correct time?
This is usually caused by having the PlusNET firewall (see connection settings in the user portal) set to high.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Well, I changed the router's timeserver to the NPL one and rebooted. Same result, so it must be something in the router - but what?
My router has always got the correct time shortly after booting, the firewall is set to the default 'Medium Security'. Now the SNTP request fails every time, even when carried out manually from the 'Device Access Scheduler' menu.
My Noise Margin is all over the place following reboots, it is normally a steady 6dB but it now can be in the range from 12 - 1 dB. It is currently about 10dB, which accounts for somewhat slower than normal speed.
Any ideas?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

On the PlusNET firewall, there is no "medium" option, it can be off, low or high - see here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall&firewallPage=advanced and here http://portal.plus.net/support/security/firewalls/broadbandfirewall.shtml - note particularly the warning on the high setting.
As for the rest of your question, please gather and post the information requested under the speed issues thread.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

My access to the Internet seems subjectively slower today and my broadband speed is now down a couple of Mbps after a loss of connection earlier.

What speeds do you normally see and what are you getting at the moment?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Something very weird is going on. I know the PlusNet firewall options - it was set to DEFAULT security. But I just checked anyway. I got this:

'Standard 
Firewall Settings
This level is protected and not editable.'
I have NEVER seen this before. I need to know what is going on. I will be closing down now and try to be in contact later.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Standard is normally what you see when you check the router firewall not the Plusnet firewall which you can see here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

OK. I have 'rediscovered' the Firewall Configure menu and it is as it should be and set to 'Standard'. The previously referred to page is one I had not seen before.
I must say, I still find the Technicolor TG582n  router 'Task Oriented' web interface confusing...
SNTP still fails on boot up, router clock still stuck on 1 Jan 2000.

DSL Connection 
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:16:04

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,208 / 14,335

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 393.18 / 1.71

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.3 / 28.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.7 / 9.4

My normal download speed is 16 - 17Mbps and Noise Margin 6dB, so the current 9.4dB presumably accounts for the somewhat lower speed.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

have you checked the Plusnet firewall using the link I gave in my previous post
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Mystery solved!
I recently upped the PlusNet Firewall (Not Router) from 'Low' to 'High'. Everything seemed to work OK so I left it as it was and forgot about it. This failure of SNTP requests seems now to have been a consequence of that. I just reduced the PlusNet Firewall back to 'Low' and on rebooting my router is now updating the clock.
Does anyone know if there is a higher setting for this than 'Low' that will allow SNTP messages through?
TIA
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

To continue this....
As I reported previously, my broadband speed has dropped a bit both on upload and download. This seems to be caused by the noise margin going from the long term normal 6dB level to around +9dB. This happened between 23 December and 24 December:
Tue 23 Dec 2014  12:39:34,  Noise Margin (dB)= 5.9, Connection Speed (Kbps)= 17017, Upstream NM= 6.2, Upstream Sync= 1211
Wed 24 Dec 2014  14:41:01,  Noise Margin (dB)= 10.0, Connection Speed (Kbps)= 14702, Upstream NM= 11.8, Upstream Sync= 680

Noise margin and speeds have stayed at these levels ever since. I do sometimes have slight crackling noises on my phone line. Not on a BT Quiet Line test, but on incoming calls (don't usually use landline for outgoing calls) and also I sometimes get distorted, crackling speech on incoming calls. Most often from somebody who has a mobile that puts out a high level audio signal.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You need to get that line noise sorted first by your phone provider.  Line noise might not be consistent / there all of the time, so check periodically.  It can diminish or grow during a phone call.
Who do you pay your phone bill to?

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Plusnet.  Sad
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Do not be sad - that is good news.  I can think of nothing worse with an issue like this and YOU having two suppliers to talk with.
A marginal broadband issue with a possible copper problem with separate suppliers is a very bad place to be.
You need to have PlusNet conduct full copper tests - both voice and BB tests.  These can deliver different answers - it is not unknown for voice copper tests to report "OK" and ADSL copper tests to report "fail" - given that ANY copper issue ought to be addressed to the phone providers (CP) rather than the ISP, having a separate CP to the ISP can be very problematic.
Hope fully CRT will pick this up on Monday - they might require you to raise a fault report here - http://faults.plus.net - there is no harm in you just getting on and doing it now.