cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new Draytek router troubles

smokeyone
Grafter

new Draytek router troubles

I thought it was about time I replaced ye olde Dlink router with it's terrible wi fi with something more modern so I splashed out on a Draytek 2830n.
However the Draytek refuses to connect to the Draytek website and after inputting 192.168.1.1 the browser changes by itself to a BT maintence
site - 62.6.38.125 - if I try this maybe six or seven times then it might connect to the Draytek login page - try admin username & password and then
returns to the BT site.
Searching Google turned up similiare problems with BT customers and one solution was to enter a BT generic BT password & username but it has
too many letters to try on my Draytek - any ideas or is there a Plusnet password I could try - sorry to be longwinded.
Also do not think it's a Plusnet problem as plugging in my old router - and everything connects okay.
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: new Draytek router troubles

Have you double checked that you have correctly entered all the settings as described here - "Broadband connection settings" ?
and any additional settings information that can be found here - "Connection settings for manual connection" !
The password the router needs to connect to the internet, is the same as the password you need to access the Plusnet "Member Centre".
Huh
smokeyone
Grafter

Thank you for trying to help and perhaps I did not explain clearly but the router will only connect to a BT maintence site - it re-directs -
so I do not think I can access any settings - on the odd occassion it goes to the Draytek login - then after entering username password admin etc it re-directs again -
My old D link simply plugs in and works again after switching the cables around - other people have the same problem here -
https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/All-pages-redirecting-to-62-6-38-125-index-...
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK I understand now.
I have had odd issues with the initial setup on some DrayTek's but not come across that one before.

First print the connection details from the links I provided in "Reply #1".
Is this a brand new unit, bought in the UK, or something else ?
On the label under the unit, does it say that it is a "Vigor 2830n" or a "Vigor 2830n v2" ?
        See this guide for help with this - "Vigor 2830n V1 vs. V2"
        Also read this guide (as it might be relevant) - 2830n - Dual Band ?
Using your D-Link router, try and download the latest firmware (saved to your PC) for the 2830n, from here - DrayTek downloads.
You MUST ensure you download the correct firmware for the version of 2830n that you have, you might have to read the release notes on that webpage - as there are five different firmwares listed for the various 2830n revisions and you MUST get it right !.
Can you try -

• Switch your computer off

• Switch off your 2830n

• Disconnect the 2830n from the internet (i.e. pull out the phone cable)

• Connect a computer using an ethernet cable to a LAN port on the 2830n

• Switch on the 2830n, and wait for it to start up

• On the front of the 2830n, press and hold the "Factory Reset" button for 10 seconds.

• Release the reset button, and allow the 2830n to start, then wait perhaps two minutes

• Switch the computer on, and try and browse to the login screen at http://192.168.1.1

If you still can't browse to the 2830n login screen, then switch off the computer, and try again via WiFi from a laptop.
I recently had a DrayTek 2710n which I couldn't access via a LAN port, but could get in via WiFi.  After wirelessly doing a firmware upgrade the LAN ports then worked and it has worked perfectly ever since !
If you are now able to log in to the router's configuration page, then go and check which version of firmware is installed.
The firmware version and "Web Firmware Upgrade" can be found under "System Maintenance" -> "Firmware Upgrade".
If the firmware is NOT the version you downloaded earlier, then perform the update before doing anything else.
Once any new firmware is installed -

• Wait ten minutes - to allow the updater to fully complete the upgrade

• Reboot the unit

• Wait another five minutes

• Perform another "Factory Reset, holding the button for ten seconds, then release.
  • Let the unit reboot, and try to login again

With the latest firmware installed, try entering all the configuration details from my first "Reply #1"
Then switch everything off, connect the 2830n to the phone line, let the 2830n boot, then start a PC and see if it now works.
Wink
smokeyone
Grafter

Thank you again for the help. It's a brand new unit and I have not had a reply yet from the supplier but had a reply from Draytek who suggested upgrading the Firmware
but did not make suggestions on how to access the router.
Have already tried
    Switch your computer off
    Switch off your 2830n
    Disconnect the 2830n from the internet (i.e. pull out the phone cable)
    Connect a computer using an ethernet cable to a LAN port on the 2830n
    Switch on the 2830n, and wait for it to start up
    On the front of the 2830n, press and hold the "Factory Reset" button for 10 seconds.
    Release the reset button, and allow the 2830n to start, then wait perhaps two minutes
    Switch the computer on, and try and browse to the login screen at http://192.168.1.1
No luck - however still need to try out your suggested wi fi idea -
How do I tell whether the Draytek is a dual band/single band model - it's a Vigor 2830n v2
the Draytek site mentions various ways of finding out but none seem to co-incide with my model/firmware upgrade
Thanks again
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: smokeyone
however still need to try out your suggested wi fi idea

It is worth trying.  I couldn't believe it when I discovered that WiFi worked when LAN didn't !  Roll_eyes

Quote from: smokeyone
How do I tell whether the Draytek is a dual band/single band model - it's a Vigor 2830n v2
the Draytek site mentions various ways of finding out but none seem to co-incide with my model/firmware upgrade

If you can't work it out from http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-2830-dual-band, then I have no idea,  I think you need to contact DrayTek again.

One thing I thought of which shouldn't make a difference, but just might. 
Could you go to the network settings of your computer, and first note down the TCP properties, and then change them as follows-
IP ADDRESS = 192.168.1.123
    NETMASK =  255.255.255.0
    GATEWAY = 192.168.1.1
              DNS = 192.168.1.1
Save those settings then reboot your computer,  and try accessing the 2830n again.
It is probably worth keeping those settings while you are trying to get the 2830n running, but remember to put them back once you are done.
smokeyone
Grafter

Thanks for the help again - might almost be there -
Laptop found the Draytek wi fi signal but although it said connected when you actually try to connect the connection timed out.
Tried changing the network settings on my PC and viola it worked - Draktek window Username Password admin admin -
Draytek page Quick start Wizzard etc and went through the set up - tried several times but each time login failed owing
to incorrect password - Plusnet password is correct but where it asks for old password new password confirm I put a
brand new password - should I have used something else -
Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at the online handbook, these are the steps I think you should follow -

Login to the 2830n web interface, and start the "Quick Start Wizard".
The first screen looks like this -

In the "Old Password" enter "admin" as that was the default password you used to login to the router web interface with.
In the "New Password" and "Confirm Password", choose a new password for login into the router web interface, in this example I chose "smokeyone".
Next time you login to the 2830n, the username will still be "admin", and the password will have become "smokeyone" - or whatever you chose.
Press the "[Next]" button to continue.

The next screen selects the internet connected interfaces that you will use.

For the "Display Name" just enter "Plusnet"

This screen configures the ADSL interface parameters for a BT line -

Set "VPI" to "0"
Set "VCI" to "38"
Set "Protocol / Encapsulation" to "PPPoA  VC  MUX"
"Fixed IP" should be left as "No (Dynamic IP)"
Set "Primary DNS" to "208.67.222.123"
Set "Second DNS" to "208.67.220.123"

This screen configures how the router logs in to the Plusnet system -

The "Service Name" should probably be left blank.
Set the "Username" to your Plusnet username, for example "username@plus.net"
The exact format of your username is shown on this webpage - Connection Settings against "Login name"
Set the "Password" and "Confirm Password" to the password you use to login to the Plusnet "Member Centre"

This should be the last page, which confirms the settings you just made -

Check all the values are as shown.
Once you are happy that it is all configured correctly, press the "Finish" button.

Hopefully that is all that you need to do !  -  other than return your PC's network setting back.
Good luck !
Wink
smokeyone
Grafter

Thank you for all the help - success with the Wizard after I entered your correct settings but still no internet connection.
Laptop is picking up the wi fi signal but when you double click the Draytek connection on the Laptop Wireless network page it times out
rather than going to a login page.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before going much further, I want to get your 2830n LAN network working the same as your previous network.
Back in "Reply #5", I asked you to make a note of your computer's TCP properties (so you could put them back later).  Can you tell me what those previous settings were.
Can you also tell me the same TCP properties on the laptop for the WiFi connection.
On your D-Link router,  can you find the "DHCP" settings in the "LAN" configuration section.
Can you post here a screen shot of the D-Link "DHCP" settings, or just type all the settings shown on that screen.
What is the model (including version number) of the D-Link router ?
smokeyone
Grafter

You have been really good about sorting out my woes -
attached image I think has the info
smokeyone
Grafter

Attached D link info

Laptop  Physical    00 21 6A 02 BA B2
            IP Add        102 168 1 2
            Sub            255 255 255 0
            Default        192 168 1 1
            DHCP          192 168 1 1
            Lease          22/12/14
            Lease          25/12/14
            DNS            192 168 1 1
            WINS Server left blank
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at those settings, and the 2830n defaults, I would have thought it should work.
However,  try setting the 2830n to the following -

If ANY settings on this page (other than the ones I've shown in red) are different from what I've shown, please let me know.
After applying these settings, switch everything off, start the router first, then after a few minutes start the PCs.

smokeyone
Grafter

Hello again and many thanks
Changed the settings you suggested but still no connection -
However a couple of things I noticed are if it assists at all -
the DNS Server IP address was blank until I completed your 208.67 etc etc
Changing from one Draktek set up page to another was taking maybe 60 - 90 seconds but now takes just a second or two - not sure if this means anything
Have attached a connection page for info
Also assume the login password for the laptop wi fi is the code underneath the router ...............
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your picture shows that the ADSL is correctly configured and has negotiated a valid connection with the telephone exchange.
However the PPP session with Plusnet has not been established.
Can you try pressing that "Renew" link (on the right hand side) and see if that makes it connect.

If it doesn't then I would suspect that either your PPPoA password is wrong, or the format of your username is wrong on this screen -

The ensure you are using the correct password,  can you login to the Plusnet "Member Centre".
Whatever you used as a password to login there, is the same as what needs to go in the screen below.
Now you are logged into the "Member Centre", the username that you should have entered on that screen is the same as is shown against "Login name" on this page - "Connection Settings".
You can also verify your PPPoA username, by looking at what is shown in the similar ADSL section on your D-Link router.
Can you double check your PPPoA username and password, and try re-entering them on this screen -

While you are there, carefully check these other settings, and make sure that "Enable" (top left) is selected.
If you change anything, click on "OK" when you are done, and then return to the "Physical Connection" status screen, and report back.