Did you mean: 

Scheduled WiFi Access Parental control easily bypassed

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Scheduled WiFi Access Parental control easily bypassed

Quote from: oobiedoobie
Why are the admin controls on the Plusnet technicolor router so easily bypassed and can anyone enlighten me on how to keep the settings that I seem to be resetting on a daily basis?
I turn the router off for 20 hours in 24 daily - it's not left on but when it is, I want to restrict my son's access to 1 hour and no more. As I stated at the start - he simply turned the router on and off and the wifi was back on. It happened twice and I would like this not to happen again when I am away and the wifi is off.

I have asked (a couple of days ago) some questions in the back ground with PlusNet contacts if they had any knowledge on this, but have not heard anything, so the technical need has not been ignored.
Having thought some more about this, it occurs to me that there are a number of reasons why this might not be working, ranging from it will not do what you want, through it is not configured to do what you want, before we arrive at the conclusion that it is actually failing to do what it is supposed to do.
First can I confirm that we are all on the same page... as it is possible that your router does not have the facilities you seek, does not do it the way you want or has simply not been configured correctly... or after all of that does not function quite as expected when rebooted.
Are you talking about the TG582n router as supplied by PlusNet?
Is it on firmware version 10.2.2.B? See the router summary scree after logging in here - http://192.168.1.254
Are you looking at restricting the access to certain time slots or just one hour when you decide?  That is (say) 19:00-20:00 every weekday or different hours on weekends?
Have you set hour by hour access restrictions for each device you want to control on WiFi as per here - http://192.168.1.254/device_tod.lp?be=0&l0=4&l1=1
What hours have you allowed?
(Having though about it some more, I think the next bit might be the issue...) For the devices you want to restrict, have you configured them to have the same (static) IP address here - http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/devs/ov/?be=0&l0=4&l1=0 - click on each device in turn and click 'configure' (top right), tick "Always use the same IP address:" and then apply.
What time servers are configured here - http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/cfg/cfg/?be=0&l0=1&l1=1
Is the date time shown in the logs here - http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/events/?be=0&l0=1&l1=2 - current?
If not, what is the PlusNet firewall settings here - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall

Forgive the detailed questions, but one is guilty of assuming that you know all of this and have met all of the requirements to achieve your aims.
Time access controls facilitated by the TG582n router (running firmware 10.2.2.B) enable a device having a FIXED IP ADDRESS to have inhibited or enabled access to the internet during a whole hour slot or multiples thereof.  That is 09:00-10:00 or 13:00-16:00.
To support these controls, the router needs to be aware of the current time, which is enabled by the SNTP configuration, which in turn needs the right configuration on the PlusNet firewall.

If any of the above are not correctly configured, then the controls you have configured might fail.
- If the device is not set to always have the same IP address, a reboot of the router is likely to assign a new IP address to the device for which there are no defined controls
- If time management is not correctly enabled, when the router reloads, its internal date / time is set to 1st Jan 00:00 thus the day and hour restrictions will not be correctly applied
- If your expectation is that at anytime your child is permitted access for an hour from "now" then (unless you dynamically change the settings) this router will not do that
- If all of the above is correctly configured, then we need to take a closer look at what is happening during the start-up process

I know that the application of changes to the restrictions is done in real time.  When I want the internet to myself (say for watching iPlayer) I apply time restrictions to my step-son's devices... soon thereafter he complains he has no internet access.  Grin
HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

oobiedoobie
Dabbler

Quote from: purleigh

Can you expand on what that phrase means ?
I know my question seems pedantic, but it has been pointed out to me that the Technicolor router has a further problem, which might invalidate my suggestion in "Reply #2", but is dependent on precisely what settings you are "resetting on a daily basis".

OK, the first thing I did with the router was change the password (which the admin controls are supposed to allow me to do) - a day later my new password failed so I tried the password supplied on the router itself again and that worked.
Two days running and I realised the password couldn't be changed.
Next, I set the time slots using the two programmable slots on the first "access" screen and these are seemingly reset on a daily basis by the router itself.
Finally, I found a page that allowed me to give hour by hour access during the week and different for weekends and this works for a day and then needs to be reset again on a daily basis.
So - are these instructions hard-wired into the router and I'm just wasting my time or is there a software problem?
My suspicion based on the failure of my password and the routers reversion back to the default password is that the router has certain instructions or settings hard wired and I'm wasting my time trying to alter or personalise them.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shocked
From that description it sounds like your son doesn't  
get around this by simply turning the router off and then on again and pressing the wifi button.

it appears that he is also pressing the 'factory reset' button, which clears the router's configuration memory back to default.
On most routers this would leave you with an unconfigured device, but the Plusnet router will auto-configure via the internet (using something called TR-069).  In the Plusnet case, it means that the router will regain it's internet connection and reset the WiFi password to it's default.
If your son is pressing the 'factory reset' button,  then no networking device will survive that - because it is intended as the last resort method of regaining control of a misconfigured device.  The difference is that 99% of networking kit would remain unconfigured, whereas the Technicolor router is returning to a minimal working state - but enough to allow your son online.

Surely there must be a better way to do this than simply taking the router to work with me?

It is looking like this might be the best solution - until we come up with some drastic alternatives !
Cry

The lesson here for everyone is NEVER use the default WiFi security settings on anything, ALWAYS change the SSID and password BEFORE anyone is allowed to make a wireless connection, and keep the password secret.
Again as a general observation, I would also argue that in a household with children or guests that use your WiFi, to add a second wireless network (independent from the wireless that the adults use),  so it can be switched off when things go wrong, so that time restrictions can be imposed, and filtering of which websites are allowed (using OpenDNS), applied just on their network.
Wink
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

It does sound to me as though the son is pressing the factory reset button. ie paper clip in the reset hole at the back.
If this is the case there's a few solutions:
1) disable the factory reset button, need to use telnet commands to do this. But be absolutely sure you can remember the password or you'll be permanently locked out.
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#button
2) disable CWMP. This will prevent the router automatically getting the plusnet username and password, ie after a factory reset you will need to manually enter these in to the router before it will connect.
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#cwmp
3) disable "automatic router setup" in your online plusnet account.
https://portal.plus.net/automatic_hardware_setup/index.php
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

there's always a 4th option, but i've said this already.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Geez!  A factory reset on an auto configuring router circumventing well intended security settings.  That is creative out of the box thinking!
If he is smart enough to do that, then even if you had a separate wifi SSID with its own security code I suspect he'd be smart enough to reconfigure his play station to use the default SSID after a reset - the key is on the bottom of the router.
The answer here is to ensure you are confident of how to configure the PlusNET user details in the router and then disable the auto config options.  A factory reset will then not automatically reconfigure and reconnect, you will have the pain of reconfiguring, but not be exposed to the risk of forgetting your changed password and ending up with a brick if you disable the factory reset function.

Can the router be located in a secure or locked location?
How about putting the play station controllers (or PSU) in a locked box?  Cheesy
Does the playstation's parental control functions offer any help here?  See http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/basicoperations/parentallock.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Mod Note Duplicate post removed.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

My concern is if he is smart enough to do that,  is he using the connection to download illegal music and videos, or worse ?

I'm also wondering if it is worth 'oobiedoobie' setting up a ThinkBroadband "Quality Monitor" on the connection, so that a graph is produced of when the connection is active, and give an idea of usage.  To do this, you would need a Plusnet static IP address (which is a one time payment of £5), and would need to enable WAN PINGs in the router.
If you are unfamiliar with the "PING graphs", examples of other Plusnet customer's live connection status can be viewed here - http://community.plus.net/ping-graphs/
The red sections show when the connection is off (or faulty), and the green, yellow, and blue shows network delay times when the connection is active.
An additional advantage of the TBB monitor, is that you can view it from anywhere - including when you are at work !.
oobiedoobie
Dabbler

Quote from: chenks76
there's always a 4th option, but i've said this already.

Already responded to this. Please go away and be helpful somewhere else.
Quote from: chenks76
can't you use your parenting skills to tell your son to simply not do it?
do you have not authority over your son?

OK, just to clarify the whole "parenting ability thing.."
My son has lived with his mother 13 years since he was 2 and recently came to me after she threw him out. While there, he was given anything he asked for - courtesy my CSA payments while I struggled on - and was allowed internet and playstation time up to 6 hours a day.
I restrict him to 1 hour per day and I have cut this down as he is preparing for his GCSE's. He's a good kid but finding my rules hard - he can't however return home to his mum as she was beating him as well as treating him to whatever goodies he wanted. It's like having a foster kid as we hardly know each other after she broke contact between us 4 years ago for him to suddenly be asked to leave his home and come to me.
So - having established that in the 3 months he's lived with me, his wifi time is reduced to a max 1 hour a day and he has zero playstation / xbox time anymore: can I ask again - why are the admin controls on the Plusnet technicolor router so easily bypassed and can anyone enlighten me on how to keep the settings that I seem to be resetting on a daily basis?
I turn the router off for 20 hours in 24 daily - it's not left on but when it is, I want to restrict my son's access to 1 hour and no more. As I stated at the start - he simply turned the router on and off and the wifi was back on. It happened twice and I would like this not to happen again when I am away and the wifi is off.
oobiedoobie
Dabbler

Quote from: purleigh
-- it appears that he is also pressing the 'factory reset' button, which clears the router's configuration memory back to default.

Quote from: npr
It does sound to me as though the son is pressing the factory reset button. ie paper clip in the reset hole at the back.
If this is the case there's a few solutions:
1) disable the factory reset button, need to use telnet commands to do this. But be absolutely sure you can remember the password or you'll be permanently locked out.
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#button
2) disable CWMP. This will prevent the router automatically getting the plusnet username and password, ie after a factory reset you will need to manually enter these in to the router before it will connect.
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#cwmp
3) disable "automatic router setup" in your online plusnet account.
https://portal.plus.net/automatic_hardware_setup/index.php

Hi, I can assure you he didn't do this. He's only tried it once and it was as I described - he simply unplugged the router cable, plugged it back in and wifi was back on. I watched him and told him not to do that again and he hasn't.
Maybe however, I do need to reset the machine myself as it may have a fault.
He's not the kind of kid to download what he shouldn't - we agreed ground rules when he first came to live with me and he's pretty honest but he is missing his "technology live gaming hit."
If the reset does nothing - as I have explained before, I had to redo my password on a daily basis even before he tried his little trick then I will try the other options listed above in NPR's post.
Thanks to everyone for the technical help.
oobiedoobie
Dabbler

Upon further investigation, it appears the router has no internal RAM type memory or internal power source to store any settings - that or if there was one, the battery was flat when it arrived.
My suspicion is that the router settings are simply stored on Plusnet servers or my browser window only as long as my computer or router is connected to the electricity supply and turning the router off at the wall restores the thing to factory clean state each time.
The solution to making any kind of permanent changes is to keep the router on 24hrs a day however, my son hasn't tried resetting the router since my chat to him about wifi access.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

there certainly is internal storage and the ability to save settings whilst the router is powered off.
whenever i've powered mine off all the settings have remained - if yours doesn't then you have a faulty router.
your suspicions regarding settings storage is 100% wrong i'm afraid.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi again oobiedoobie,
I sorry I couldn't post back again a bit sooner due to some urgent family commitments. Thanks for taking the trouble to post your personal circumstances, that does help put it into context. Your son sounds like a bright lad who will do well in his GCSE's once he has learnt to apply himself and learnt how important discipline is in life, something in my life experience that a number of bright energetic boys lack when there has been no male parent to act as a role model and guide them through such things - something which it sounds like you have already embarked on.
As you've obviously noticed there has been a lot of technical information posted, and it can be all rather overwhelming all in one go. However don't worry, there is a fairly simple solution at the outset based on a couple of bits of info from npr, purleigh and Townman - not everything needs to be implemented immediately, if at all - whilst Townman's thoughts and heart is in the right place, he's made it sound rather complicated.
You commented about having to reset a number of things, this can also be easily overcome. Some settings need to be saved to to survive a power off (there is internal RAM), but no settings will survive a factory reset on any router or modem/router. Also just to get the context correct, a number of ISPs use the TR-069 setup process. This actually is at the crux of the simplest (part) solution to your problem.
Once the relevant solutions are in place and the modem/router has all the required settings, then it's configuration can be saved and easily reloaded after a factory reset (or indeed at any time). BUT note, I don't recommend rushing to save one right now, as you have remarked something may be faulty - but it's more likely that something isn't set correctly. We can work and guide you through each of the settings needed one at a time so that this doesn't become an overwhelming task.
Shortly after my initial post, I requested some input from Plusnet Products Group - I wasn't expecting a complete solution, just some ideas on areas to address, in case there could be things we were likely to miss. To say I'm disappointed that there has been no input from them would be a gross understatement. However, I'm pretty sure we have everything needed, having thought through the principles through since I last posted, based on suggestions and comments from npr, purleigh and Townman, so IF there is any input from Products after this point, we'll pick out any relevant salient points and incorporate it into the guidance.
Edit: One thing I forgot to mention again, in reply #9 I mentioned about the potential consequences of switching off/on or resetting (whilst the modem/router is on-line). I suggested you post the TG582n Full DSL stats (you'll get prompted to login) and we can assess what sort of impact there might be.
I'll just post this for you to read and then post back with some of the immediate steps to take. One thing however I very strongly do NOT recommend and this is, DO NOT disable the Factory Reset Button.
PS. Just in case you aren't aware, the red underlined bits are links you can click on Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just for clarification and to quickly mention whilst purleigh's suggestion about the TBB monitor is a neat idea, the modem/router ping setting doesn't survive a factory reset but at least you would know that it had happened or the modem/router was off-line or the connection was down for some other reason. Also where Townman mentioned a Fixed IP address, in that context there he was talking about Internal IP addresses to you local network.
OK, this first thing to do is Disable the TR-069 automated process and automatic connection. This will mean that if the TG582n is powered off or reset you will have to manually enter your Broadband Username and Password each time (it also means you don't have to wait upto 15 minutes for the system to configure it for you). If your son were to try switching off or resetting in the future, he'll soon learn that it will be rather pointless doing it as there will be no Internet connection as a consequence.
I'll post the steps for doing that in another post, as for a secure solution it involves doing a couple of changes at the Member Centre (Portal) as well as some on the modem/router.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

If recovering from a factory reset only requires the input of login credentials, then that's relatively simple. Here, however, there looks like a need to set static addresses and access control timings. The simplest way to re-instate these is probably to save the configuration as soon as all settings are as required and a simple reload will put everything back as previously set - including the login credentials (remembering that a change of subnet may require re-acquiring an IP address immediately after the reload).
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.