Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router placement

jrilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Router placement

Hello,
Sorry if this seems stupidly basic!  I've decided to try moving my ADSL router into another room. It is currently in the hallway at the front of the house. I get really poor reception in my top back room. However the other day I was moving stuff about and I happened to place my router in the kitchen. I then got fantastic speed throughout the house. I went from 2 - 3Mbps to the full 13 - 14 Mbps in my dead zone.
My plan is to place the router on top of my kitchen cupboards which are about in the middle of a open plan kitchen/living area. The only problem is the cable doesn't stretch to go up and through the wall. I when placed it originally in the kitchen the cable was long enough to reach round the corner to sit on the worktop. I have the opportunity to run the cable up behind the wall and through into the kitchen.
So I have two questions
1. anyone see any problems with my router being placed so high? It will sit approximately 25cm from the ceiling.
2. I thought any ADSL cable would do, but apparently not, I'm looking for a twisted pair? Can't seem to find one with that description. Also I've read inconsistent advice on if a 5m cable will slow my speeds down or not. Any advice?
I was just looking for something like this http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/accessories-and-bags/power-cables/pc-cables/adven...
Thanks  Smiley
19 REPLIES 19
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Router placement

I don't know about that one other than it is expensive
What you need is Cat5e
This is one link http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_8?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=rj11%20cat5... and it is free delivery for the ones at the top
jrilton
Rising Star

thank you!  Wink
shure
Grafter

I think CW1308 twisted pair cable might be what you are looking for. I got 10m for around a fiver a couple of years ago.  It's the same stuff a BT engineer would use.  It cleared up a lot of issues I had at the time.  Can't remember where I bought it but will dig if you like.
Edit: I bought at ADSL Nation and 10m cable, clips and connectors cost me five quid.  They trade as Tandyonline now:
http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=cw1308
you'll also need to buy the disposable IDC tool which costs a bank-breaking 99p
jrilton
Rising Star

Thanks for your help. I've heard of Tandy before so I'll use them. Smiley
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

How would you connect the RJ11 plug to the CW1308?
Would it be easy or difficult?
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
PNRichardC
Dabbler

You need a crimp tool and some plugs.  For small quantities there are simple tools you put between two blocks of wood and hit with a hammer.  The proper tools are like a giant pair of pliers.  It's much easier to buy ready made leads, and on Amazon they are hardly any dearer than the cable itself.  Search for RJ11 cable.
Added.  I should have said if you are going to make up your own cable you also need a tester to check the cable from end to end.  You need tio check each pin in the plug has pierced the insulation and is making a good connection.
shure
Grafter

I could be wrong here but I don't believe all RJ11 cable is CW1308.  If you get cheaper stuff you may end up with some line degradation, depending on how much cable you will be running..  This is one reason why I re-wired my internal cable in the first place, as I was getting noise and disconnects.  With CW1308 cable you could run 50m of cable without any degradation, so I've been told.
What I did was fix a new telephone socket to the wall of my study and connected that to the master socket in the hallway.  Didn't have to connect any RJ11 ends.  It gave me the flexibility of connecting a telephone to the same extension.  Have to say I was daunted at the thought of opening the Master Socket but after being given excellent advice by people on this forum found that it was one of the easiest things I've ever done.  There's nothing to it, really.
jrilton
Rising Star

Hello,
I was thinking of just getting this?
http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/high-speed-rj11-dsl-cable-5m.html
Any good?
Thanks
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

That seems fine!
Although Amazon/eBay might be cheaper.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
PNRichardC
Dabbler

Using additional sockets is another option.  If you are going to use one as a telephone extension you will need to think about where to place the microfilter, especially if the master  socket has a microfilter in its basfaceplate.
You are probably right that the ready-made RJ11 cables are not twisted pair.  Maplins' description of CW1308 does not say it is twisted pair.  If you want to make sure you are getting twisted pair you would be better following Oldjim's suggestion of Cat5e.  Does it matter for a 5m cable?
Mounting a wireless router high up is a good idea and will usually give better coverage.  Not so good is locating it in the kitchen, which may shorten its life.
shure
Grafter

Quote from: jrilton
Hello,
I was thinking of just getting this?
http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/high-speed-rj11-dsl-cable-5m.html

It's twisted pair and the write up on their explanation page says it's the highest standard they have.  At that price I'd say you have little to lose by going for it.  I would avoid cheaper cable on e.g. Amazon or eBay unless you are sure of the quality and the fact it's twisted pair as a minimum.  Whatever you do avoid the flat telephone cable many sites sell!
As I said, at that price give it a go.  This may sound obvious but make sure you have taken into account the route the cable will take when measuring the distance - around doors, following the wall etc, not the direct line of sight.  Looping over a door can easily add 5m on its own and you probably want a bit of play at the end. 
Good luck
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

CW1308 cable is twisted pair for hard-wired installation stuff - ie fitting extension sockets. It's not intended to be used as a "flexible cable".
The Curry's cable in the OP is one you definitely DO NOT WANT as it's not made of twisted pair cable. As a rule all flat cables are not twisted pair.
RJ11 cables using Cat5e will be twisted pair and you can also get screened ones such as the Tandy one linked above http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/electronics/telecoms-dsl.html and is perfect for the job. Many Plusnet users have used their cables of varying lengths.
The Amazon ones Jim linked in reply #1 are fine as well (but not screened).
My only concern about the modem/router placement  high up in a kitchen is it could get a bit to hot for it. You'll have to see how it goes. Make sure plenty of (ideally cool) air can flow through that area.
shure
Grafter

Take Anotherone's advice over mine, as I got my original advice from him in the first place!  Thankfully, we don't appear to be markedly different Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A further minor point - don't put it near the microwave or where fumes etc. from cooking may rise as you have no idea what that can do to electronic equipment