cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why two Fibre Broadband speeds?

daro2096
Grafter

Why two Fibre Broadband speeds?

Just wondering why there is two speed options for Fibre and why is 78Mb so expensive? What difference is there in setup costs between 40 and 80Mb?
3 REPLIES 3
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Why two Fibre Broadband speeds?

It's an interim state for hysterical reasons  Roll_eyes  The previous packages were two ADSL and two FTTC with data limits on the lower cost option for each type. With the latest change, the package I am on was removed as an option and only unlimited ADSL remains (66% extra cost) - presumably, I am in a small minority who don't think I need unlimited data Shocked I suspect the retention of a slower FTTC package upgraded to unlimited may be to both encourage people to switch from ADSL and to silence those who would be vociferous should they pay for (up to) 80Mb/s and only get 30Mb/s, as well as pass on the underlying cost differences Cry

Perhaps I should complain that I pay for (up to) 16Mb/s and get 3Mb/s (though that's better than others are getting and good enough for most of my needs).
It is claimed I could get maximum 80/20 speeds with FTTC, being <130m from the cabinet ( at a 233% increase in cost) Cheesy
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi,
There should be no setup costs at all if you have home phone with us. I have just activated the phone component on your account so the prices may show slightly differently now.
As highlighted by PeeGee; we made all the packages unlimited recently so I suppose that speed limitations were the only other variable that could have been used to dictate a difference in price.
As you have just gone through the process of a house move, I'd imagine you may have been offered slightly different prices over the phone in comparison to what you can see on the website or the account change tool.
@PeeGee - Whilst it is more expensive, it may be worth checking what our Customer Options team can offer if you ever feel like you need to be on unlimited at any point. It's not unheard of for them to match the prices of the older package.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Matty,
I have been thinking about a change for a while and have started a thread here
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.