cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRT? How hard is it to turn OFF interleaving?

richij
Grafter

CRT? How hard is it to turn OFF interleaving?

GAH! Ticket open for three weeks on this, but interleaving still on.  Huh
The "switch it off" order with BTW was repeated several times, to no avail. But they did at least switch it to Auto once.  Undecided
Nice and stable 20CN, syncing at 832/8128. Atten 21.0/34.5 dB. Current margins 11/10 dB.  Cool
Ticket number is 90189518 if any gurus want to take a look. TIA, peace out.  Lips_are_sealed
(edited title to reduce snarkiness)
47 REPLIES 47
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Seriously, how hard is it to turn OFF interleaving?

As I understand it, there is an issue with changes made by BT to the interface used by Plusnet to make these changes on 20CN. They now have to use the 21CN ECOplus platform and changes like this aren't happening. It was rumoured that an SNR Reset followed by the Turn Interleaving Off order might work, other than that they have to raise what I understand is called a Bridge Case with BTw.
My suspicion is that the agent dealing with this does not appreciate that this continued fail needs to be escalated and should already have been so.
You aren't the only one affected by this unfortunately. Hopefully a relevant member of the CRT will pick this up and get it resolved for you.
I guess you are still seeing FEC errors in your stats?
richij
Grafter

Re: CRT? How hard is it to turn OFF interleaving?

Thanks, Anotherone. Yes, a few FEC blips, but nothing I'm worried about. On balance, I think I'd prefer the reduced latency and overhead.
richij
Grafter

BTW, this ticket has gone through three or four agents already, so if the problem is that the agent doesn't know about this issue, it's probably worth telling/reminding all the agents about it!
LukeS
Grafter

Hi, we seem to be having a problem with all 20CN orders when trying to turn interleaving off. Any orders we place now are being cancelled because the parameters for the line on one system are 'Interleaving' = Auto & 'Current Interleaving' = NO/OFF but on another system the one that actually affects your line are showing 'Interleaving' = ON.
I've reset the line with the hope that this will correct any records mis-matches and will remove interleaving or at least set it to AUTO for now.
richij
Grafter

D'oh! Thanks Luke.
I see the sync cycled about 5 mins ago. No FEC count yet; I'll continue to monitor...
richij
Grafter

Ah yes I see pinging hop has dropped from 30ms to 12ms. Still zero FEC count. Looks like it's worked this time. Thanks, Luke!  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Well done Luke, great stuff  Wink
LukeS
Grafter

Interesting...
I'm surprised this worked so quick. I can confirm that on our systems Interleaving status now shows as 'Fast'. It's probably best to monitor for a few days, it may still be on AUTO so I may place an order to remove completely.
richij
Grafter

Well, almost two hours in and idle ping has stayed consistently low. Still no FEC errors, but the occasional CRC and HEC error, which I guess are to be expected now that there's no FEC.
Thanks again.
richij
Grafter

Update: FEC error count still zero this morning, despite a power cut last evening risking BTW seeing the line as unstable.
Anotherone
Champion

You'll have to invest in a UPS if that's a regular type of event. Even if it's just a small one just for the modem/router, but as you live in the exchange (almost) maybe not worth it!
richij
Grafter

Nah, it doesn't happen often.
Would you believe I have about 2 km of wire between me and the exchange, with the last 500 m overhead? Clearly good quality copper. I'm connected to a FTTC-enabled cabinet, but it's too far away for BTO to allow me to go fibre 😞
Anotherone
Champion

How far from the Cab then? It sounds silly. If you can get 8128 from the exchange you should get at least 15M from the Cab surely Huh
Anotherone
Champion

I presume you've checked this? Don't post your phone number!