cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing my Netgear DG834G v2 router

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Accessing my Netgear DG834G v2 router

A good while back I reloaded the firmware in my router to the latest (at that time) ADSL2 version. I was having network speed problems with it, and that seemed to solve the problem. I have my router set up so that I have specified just which MAC addresses it will allow access to the internet. Now I want to go into the setup to add another address, but I cannot log in. I use the 192.168.0.1 address, and get the Login window, but either I have forgotten that I changed the username and/or password, or I am using the wrong 192.168-address - I have this feeling that there was a change in the login 192.168- address as a result of the firmware change, but cannot remember the details. Anyway, the end result is I don't seem to be able to access the router setup program.
Am I doing something wrong, or is there a way of getting round the username/password if I have forgotten them?
Thanks for your help
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Accessing my Netgear DG834G v2 router

the default is
admin
password
penneck
Aspiring Pro

the default doesn't seem to work. People make a lot of fuss about changing your password, particularly that on the router so I may have done so. I have a word file that suggests that my Netgear password has been changed. It is in a code that means something to me, but that doesn't work either, so as I have this feint recollection of some IP address change that affected my router when I uploaded the ADSL2 firmware,  I am asking the collective if I should no longer use 192.168.0.1 for this login, but some other 192.168 address
cheers
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If you can get to a login window asking for a username and password, then the 192.168.0.1 IP address must be correct, unless you have more than one router.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

To be absolutely sure, open up a CMD (DOS) window and enter ipconfig.  The gateway IP address is the address of your router.
If you cannot remember the password, you can make your router forget everything by resetting it to its factory state, in which case the password will revert to its default value (given by Oldjim).  Poke the unwound end of a paper-clip down the hole at the back to press the small recessed button.  You'll need tor re-enter your Plusnet credentials to connect to the Internet afterwards. 
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Back just before I upgraded the Netgear firmware to ADSL2, I did use a PlusNet supplied router temporarily to see if that improved the appalling speed I was getting at the time. Whether that is what is lurking at the back of my mind about the different 192.169- address, I don't know. but yes I am getting the login window from 192.168.0.1. Howevewr, all I get when I use it is the tab on the IE window just states 'Waiting for Netgear' (or something along those lines). Once I have posted this, I will log off the forum, then try accessing the router again, make a note of the message, then come back here to let you know what happened
Have just spotted ReedRichards post as I went to send this. I'm a bit concerned about resetting to factory settings in case it stops all the equipment I have allowed to use this router, but if I get really desperate, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet.
See you in a while
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Would you believe, this time it let me in. I've added the address to the list of acceptable pcs, and now I guess the problem is solved. I've absolutely no idea what I did differently this time.
Thanks to all for your help