Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT ordered to repair most faults 'within two days'

mgillespie
Grafter

BT ordered to repair most faults 'within two days'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27484554

OK then.  My line problems have been ongoing for over 4 months, and it's been 3 days since my BT Openreach "no show".  How they think they can achieve that target when after 3 days I don't even have a new appointment for a new "no show"...
Ticket: 86895764
32 REPLIES 32
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: BT ordered to repair most faults 'within two days'

Morning Mordac_The_Preventer,
Sorry to hear you've had a missed appointment, I've just taken a look into the raised fault and we seem to show 2 attempted visits on both the 8th and the 9th of July and the engineer has recorded that access to the property was refused. I've returned this back to them to further continue with the fault fix so we should see something back from them soon on how we need to progress the matter.
Please accept our apologies for the this delay, we'll attempt to get you another engineer booked for the dates you outlined on the support ticket and will update it once we have this confirmed.
mgillespie
Grafter

Hmm, as per the ticket history, they were supposed to call me beforehand to gain access.  There were no cards in the door, or any indication they tried to visit...
AndyH
Grafter

If the engineer cannot get access, he is supposed leave a card and also take a picture of your front door as evidence that he attempted to get access.
Obviously, Plusnet will be asking for this evidence from their suppliers.
TORPC
Grafter

@AndyH
Out of curiosity & I have never heard of before
Since when does BTOpenreach have to take a pic of your front door ?Huh
Also does this also apply to the Kelly's boys / girls
mgillespie
Grafter

And do they need to hold up a copy of today's newspaper like in the hollywood kidnap movies?
AndyH
Grafter

If there is no access when you arrive, try to contact the end user on  the contact numbers you’ve been given. The only exception to this is when the end user has confirmed during ring ahead that access won’t be provided within the appointment slot. Try all the contact numbers provided if the end user hasn’t answered. This is especially important if you are visiting business premises, where a number of people, including the CP service contact, might have been added to the contact list to make sure that somebody is available. If you don’t make contact, make sure you update your notes, adding the numbers you called and mentioning if you left a message or not – giving the house door colour as the key identifier for premises. If the end user has declined access or there is another reason why you can’t gain access, please make this clear as well. Having this information in our systems helps us when we’re explaining the situation back to the CPs.

Also remember to take a photo of the premises (the front of the house, including the door) If you have a smartphone with a camera, and send the picture via the ‘User no access’ app on your phone. Also leave an A108 card through the post-box. Again, this helps us when we’re explaining what’s happened to CPs. If you can’t leave an A108 make sure you explain why on the notes so we can let the CP know.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Whilst your expectations are more than reasonable, they have at least two years before they have to meet this target and only if the EU approve them being required to do so.
Edit: predictive text typos corrected!  Cheesy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AndyH
Grafter

There will also be times that the '2 day fault' fix cannot be achieved, for example during the recent floods.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again Mordac_The_Preventer,
I've managed to book and escalate an appointment for you and have updated your support ticket to reflect the full details.

mgillespie
Grafter

Many thanks. Smiley

And yes, I appreciate it's 80% within 2 days for OpenReach, but when the ISP ticket turnaround is 3 days, then 2 days to fix a fault seems a rather unrealistic target...
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Openreach may try to fix most faults within a few days and they probably succeed.  But last time I looked they offer no time commitment whatsoever in those cases where they cannot fix a fault quickly.  Based on my experience last year (not with Plusnet), if BT Openreach miss their initial fast response target then you drop to the bottom of the queue as all their engineers are busy trying to fix other people's faults within a few days. 
TORPC
Grafter

Personally I would prefer them to take a video with sound, of them actually knocking on your door
As a pic of your front door is not evidence that they, knocked on the door or rang the bell / buzzer etc
mgillespie
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
Openreach may try to fix most faults within a few days and they probably succeed.  But last time I looked they offer no time commitment whatsoever in those cases where they cannot fix a fault quickly.  Based on my experience last year (not with Plusnet), if BT Openreach miss their initial fast response target then you drop to the bottom of the queue as all their engineers are busy trying to fix other people's faults within a few days. 

This is exactly why targets are sometimes bad.  If you fault it a tricky one, the easy way to hit the 80% target is to concentrate on the 80% that are easy fixes....
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I don't see targets as intrinsically bad but they should be obliged to cover every eventuality and should include disincentives for failing to meet the targets e.g.
80% of faults within 2 working days
100% of faults within 10 working days
£10 per day compensation for any days after 10 working days where a fault remains unfixed.