cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up!

jsm51
Grafter

Re: Fed up!

No problem with the rant. We all get frustrated when things don't work as well as we expect them to. However, ignoring the issue of why the wifi does not work as well as it did, I have to say that, in my view, your expectations of the service through wifi are a little unrealistic. Plusnet have no knowledge or control over the physical environment (distance, materials used in the structure etc.) or em environment (essentially interference from many different internal and external sources) that the routers are used in. To expect a guaranteed performance standard under those circumstances does not seem reasonable.
Yes, the Technicolor box is basic, but it is adequate for many people and keeps the cost of the service down. If it does not meet your requirements then there are many things you can do to improve it to meet your own particular combination of circumstances. I use wireless connection a long way from the router and as the TG572n signal wasn't good enough, ran an ethernet cable to an old BT HH2 configured as a wireless access point and switch. I'm sure people on the forum will be able to advise on options.
My TG572n box went faulty and I replaced it with a BT HH5. As you say, it will replace the router and the OR modem. It works fine as a router, gives you access to some service stats and has a better wireless signal than the TG572n. However, for the reasons described above, I have no idea whether it will meet your expectations!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Ivesy,
Don't get me wrong - the statement was intended to inform the scope of the issue.  If you always get 72Mbps on a wired connection, then you can rule out those factors which PN can influence: PlusNet systems, BTOR network, fibre, cabinet, your local phone line, the new socket (which so concerns you) and the BTOR supplied modem.
All that is left then is the PN supplied router and its Wi-Fi performance, in your environment.
In some situations this Wi-Fi router is not the best, however that will largely depend upon the local environment, which is not within PN's control.  You are not paying for a the wireless service.  The Wi-Fi router is supplied free of charge - subscribers taking it or not taking it pay exactly the same for their broadband service.
For some people in their local environment the Wi-Fi signal offered by the TG582n appears not to be adequate.  If asked, PN might be willing to try a replacement given that the ADSL version (I assume of the same router?) worked well for you.  The fibre and ADSL versions of this router have different firmware, so this might not fix the issue for you.  Alternatively, you are free to acquire your own Wi-Fi device.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ivesy
Grafter

Thanks for the replies.  Ok I've settled down  Wink
I'm going to bite the bullet and get a new router, does anyone have any suggestions.  I've seen dual frequency ones but I'm assuming my 2-4 year old gadgets won't be compatible?
If I can get a Home Hub 4 maybe would that mean I'd just have one box and do away with the open reach one?
Thanks again for the replies
PS did another speed test and got d/l of 0.1 mb/s and u/load of 11mb/s???
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The HH4 does not have the built-in VDSL modem, so you would need to use it in conjunction with the OR modem.
The HH5 does have a built-in VDSL modem, but can also be used with the OR modem if you want.
jsm51
Grafter

Hi Ivesy,
You need to check the spec of your other devices to see what wireless capabilities they have.
As I mentioned, there are alternatives to getting a new router with (hopefully) a better signal coverage. These include, wireless signal repeaters, wired access points and ethernet over mains. It may be worth doing a bit of research before making a final decision. Here are a couple of links. 
http://www.pcworld.com/article/261495/how_to_extend_your_wi_fi_network.html
http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/extend-wireless-wifi-network-for-large-homes
The best choice will depend on how much you want to spend, the environment and what throughput you need to meet your usage requirements.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: ivesy
Thanks for the replies.  Ok I've settled down  Wink
I've seen dual frequency ones but I'm assuming my 2-4 year old gadgets won't be compatible?

Hi Ivesy,
Yes sometimes this technology can be frustrating, especially when one is not so familiar as to how it all works.  Sometimes it is just down to physics!
As for dual band routers, if you are going to invest in a new router (as opposed to buying second hand) then I'd recommend "looking to the future" so that any new device you acquire is not hampered by buying old standards.
There is the new 'ac' wifi standard to consider.  iDevices use the 5GHz band.  If you do opt for dual band make sure that the router can do simultaneous dual band - many cannot.  Make sure the router is IP v6 capable.  Another thing to look out for in buying second hand is the availability of up to date firmware, especially in the context of the recent DNS hijack issues.  Some older routers (notably Netgear) do not have firmware updates to combat this issue.
My reservation about you getting a new wifi router is that we do not know for sure what the issue is in your environment. Do you have a friend you could borrow a router from?  Are you in the northwest?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ivesy
Grafter

Hi and thanks again for the replies.
Ok, i live in the north east.
I am hesitant in getting another router because as has been said if this enviromental then i guess any new router will have a problem.
Things are fine today but if the connection goes again i will try switching the dect phone off and see if it's that. I had ruled it out as it nevere affected the previous routers signal when i had adsl.
Thanks again
ivesy
Grafter

Just checked and my phone panasonic kx-tg5521e operates on 1.88 tp 1.9 mhz frequency.
Been looking on google for other possible reasons but it's difficult finding a possible 'culprit'.
we don't live in a high density population, wifi app shows about 6 other networks that are not even close to the channel i'm using.
I still don't understand how all my wireless devices say the signal strength is very good to excellent during the timesthey are unable to even display a web page.
If it is enviromental why is it when it works fine before i go to bed it isn't first thing the next morning when everthing has been switched off? Including i've noticed most of my neighbours routers though mine has been on.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Have you tried using the same channel as the other networks? Being on the same channel as another network isn't necessarily a problem.
See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,109766.msg1119799.html#msg1119799
I would be surprised if most of your neighbours switch off their routers overnight, I think the majority of people leave them on all the time. Assuming many remain switched on, your inability to detect them is just another symptom of the same problem. Perhaps try switching to the channel of a network that you can still see first thing in the morning.
ivesy
Grafter

I think I may have discovered the problem!
Friday was just another typical day after a day or two with wirless it just suddenly stopped.  I turned the TV and corldless phone off (which runs on 1.8mhz according to the manual). Anyway no joy nothing on the speedtest but on wifi finder still a strong signal.  I switched the TV and phone back on ad suddenly I was getting about 20mb/s on my phone!
10 minutes later and no speed registering on my mobile phone.  As I was about to throw the router out the window (not really but it crossed my mind) I thought why not unplug the the three ethernet cables from the router that go into my Samsung SMT7800 Freesat box, Roku 2XS and the LG Blu ray player.  Within in seconds the speed had returned to my phone and I was getting speeds of about 20-25mb/s.  This was friday and as I type this on Sunday evening it's STILL working.  I can use 2 of these devices through wifi and the Freesat box was only for BBC Iplayer so no great loss.
So fingers crossed this could be problem solved........
I just want to thank everyone who has replied to my post it is very much appreciated to have people take the time to reply when you feel like you aren't getting anywhere and get frustrated!
Cheers!  Wink
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Ivesy,
It is really good to hear that you have found a solution, or rather the culprit!  It would be good to more clearly understand exactly what you've discovered so that the information might be of benefit to others in the future.  So if you would not mind I'd just like to recap the problem with you confirming / filling in the gaps of the detail...
You were getting 72Mbps on BT speed tests when the PC was connected by wire to the router?
At that time was the "culprit" also connected to the router?
When you ran the speed test from a WiFi device you saw very poor performance - was that on the same PC?
Exactly what is the "culprit" - make & model - firmware version?
Have you looked to see if there is a later version?
Have you been able to identify any reports of this issue from other users?
Did you switch it off or just unplug the Ethernet cable?  Switching it off could imply a different issue.
Do you have any idea what the device was doing to cause the issue?  If it was busy DOWNLOADING then you would expect that activity to impact the wired speed test.  One is left with the conclusion that the physical connection of the device to the router directly interfered with the wifi operation / signal, which is quite bizar!
In terms of keeping all of the kit connected (there's little point having an unconnected iPlayer), you might give consideration to connecting the device to the internet via Ethernet over Power (dLAN) devices.  These would avoid the direct physical connection between the device and the router.  You can pick these up for around £25.
Cheers,
Kevin

picbits
Rising Star

It sounds a bit like one of the wired devices was generating some EMI which was messing up the WiFi signal - maybe external or internal to the router.
Fingers crossed you've at least identified the issue though Smiley
ivesy
Grafter

Hi i'm still connected.
Yes i agree with Doms it's something to do with one of the devices connected by ethernet.
For the record i was finding quite randomly i was unable to even display a web page wireless on any of my devices though i could wired. Speed tests varied from virtually nothing to 20mb/s. It didn't seem to make any difference what time of day it was and what other possible causes of the interference were, ie tv or home phone.
I had three devices connected to the router, freesat box, roku 2xs and LG blu ray. Through sheer desperation i unplugged all three from the router and since then have had no problems!
When i'm feeling brave enough i might try connecting one or more to work out which one of the devices is causing the interference. But as i say 2 if them can be wireless and the other i never use so i may just leave things as they are!