cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone charges

robbo6457
Dabbler

phone charges

I ring my daughter's mobile number  each morning at 0900 hrs just to let her know that I am O.K. No conversation, just ring three times, then switch off..!    I note on my monthly phone bill for May 2014, these  'ring only' calls being charged for, at a total of £2.56 ! ?  Is this 'normal' or have I overlooked something ?
41 REPLIES 41
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: phone charges

Call setup charge is 13.87p so it looks as though for some of them the call went through even though you didn't talk and of course if it went through then you would be charged for the first minute as well
robbo6457
Dabbler

Thanks Oldjim, for your reply, Seems I am paying for just three 'rings' on the phone, which I must NOT do !! Gladly pay for any call, but 'ringing' ? that is ridiculous..
However, again, many thanks  for your info, and best wishes
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

You might find this thread of some interest: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122822.0.html
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
picbits
Rising Star

As above - worth reading through that thread. I've done some tests here and not been charged for unanswered calls.
Who is your daughter with for her mobile operator ?
robbo6457
Dabbler

Good evening W23, and thanks for your input..  The reference to  mizzletoff's thread and the same problem , I found quite interesting. Not being a mobile phone owner I am in unknown territory.  However, my daughter tells me she has a Nokia phone and a contract with Tesco !! so hopefully she in turn , with the added advice-; will get in touch, and point out the 'problem'..  Thanks go to you also DomS, for your contribution    In the meantime  may I again say a big thank you ,to you all
  Will inform you at a later date what the outcome is ?My Regards ..
robbo6457
Dabbler

Hello again W23,Oldjim,doms,     
                                                    as promised ,herewith final answer(eventually) from  Plusnet. 
  'The calls to your daughter's mobile are showing in your itemised invoice,  as the call from your landline has connected to the mobile network.  Even if the the call is not answered, as soon as the line starts to ring, you have called a mobile number and will be charged the connection cost and for the first minutes. As you on the Anytime call plan if you are able to call your daughter's land line number this would be included in your monthly package' [unquote]    So gents, as you see , at least from Plusnet's point of view, I have no case !!
                    What a wonderful world 1??            Again, many thanks for your time  .. regards
picbits
Rising Star

That doesn't seem right - if you are not connected then you shouldn't pay the connection fee. I certainly don't when nobody answers the mobile call (and it isn't connected to an answerphone or redirected).
I can only assume that some mobile carriers send a "connected" signal back to the BT exchange when the call is put through (but not answered) which then triggers the call charging.
It will be interesting to see Plusnets digital care team's response to this.
I can confirm that unanswered calls from my Plusnet landline to my Virgin mobile, Orange mobile and my stepsons Giff Gaff are not charged unless the call is answered or put through to voicemail.
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

That what I read year years ago in mag or other. You have used the network and therefore pay for the call whether or not you speak to anyone.
I suppose you can liken it to phoning an 0800 number you get charged by mobile networks.
peter10
Grafter

I occasionally misplace my mobile and have to ring it to find where it is using my PN landline phone . I've never been charged for the unanswered call. The only time I have been charged is when I misjudged the timing and it went to the answerphone. I'm with Orange (EE) on PAYG.
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

My house alarm is connected to our land line, when ever we set it off my mobile always rings - I never answer it but always get charged for the call.
On the other hand when ever we ring by mobile to find the other misplaced mobile we don't get charged perhaps it's only land line to mobile that incurs a charge not mobile to mobile. I'm ASDA on EE PAYG
Mav
Fixes: 514

I have a PN phone line and frequently ring my daughter (who's with EE) for two rings when she's not available on her landline then hang up. She then rings me back. I've never been charged.
As an aside around 20 years ago a friend, who used to work for BT, said that it was was actually against their terms to dial a number with no intention of allowing the call to connect. A lot of people used to do this just to let family/friends know that had arrived home safely. Apparently it was classed as theft of the electricity used to make the receiver's phone ring.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Looking around the Internet, this is known as False Answer Supervision (FSA) - see for example http://wiki.voip.ms/article/FAS_(False_Answer_Supervision).
It can be deliberate to generate revenues or down to incorrectly configured network interface gateways.  See http://www.humbuglabs.org/blog/2012/02/fraud-enabling-service-false-answer-supervision/ and http://i3forum.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/FAS_slick_1.5-x1a.pdf

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

robbo6457
Dabbler

Well,well; never thought my particular 'beef' would attract so many replies. Thanks to you all, anyway.. It appears that there are several ways, and comments re ' the rights and wrongs'  All your remarks , DomS,Mayfly,Mav, Townman, Salmo..  duly noted . Some conflicting views , FSA (False Answer Supervision is certainly a new one to me !  Theft of electricity?????  good heavens , whatever next?  Really gents, it appears that there is no way round this, surely it does'nt seem right as a few of you agree. So, what it really boils down to is , ' No more' ring only ' calls from my landline to my daughter's mobile!!
                                  Many thanks to all for your interest,  and best wishes
gromittz
Grafter

There's some interesting information on moneysaving.com on using the web to send free text messages to mobile phones.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/free-text-messages#web
You might find something suitable for your needs and your daughter can receive a nice personal 'Good Morning' rather than a cryptic, expensive, 3 rings  Smiley