Grafter

Re: Peak time packet loss on ptw-bng01

My Neighbour - pcl-ag01

Me - ptw-ag03

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Got a username / ticket id or something for your neighbour so we can verify their gateway?  That demonstrates this was more than ptw-bng01 (which means we should change the thread name!)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
brueton
Grafter

Ticket #84199967 is for her latest invoice.
Kelly
Hero

Confirmed they were on PCL-AG01.
Kelly Dorset
AndyH
Grafter

I wonder if all the affected users were on the same BRAS/MSE?
AAISP picked up packet loss on 21CN-BRAS-RED1-L-WAT, 21CN-BRAS-RED11-L-WAT and 21CN-BRAS-RED13-L-WAT yesterday. Not sure where WAT is - Waterloo? Watford?
jimbof
Grafter

I can see the packet loss is back again this evening.
I've changed gateway and this has now cleared up for me, yet I can see other graphs are still affected.
So whether it is gateway or path related (kind of irrelevant to an end user) - swapping gateways will probably fix it....
Menruna
Dabbler

Likewise. Can't mind exactly what gateway I was on but now on AG08 and absolutely fine now.
dick:quote
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: jimbof
I can see the packet loss is back again this evening.

It sure is, starting to subside now and will be gone completely by about 23:30.
I will do a spot of gateway hopping tomorrow & see what happens
deathtrap
Grafter

Smacks of congestion somewhere
Kelly
Hero

Quote from: Kelly
I've raised problem:80657 for us to have a look at. First glance of our end point graphing doesn't show an issue, so digging deeper.

We've a second problem raised:80677 for this now.  The first problem is now tracking a peering issue which started this week, the second relating to some possible congestion issues which could be causing the 5% loss.
Kelly Dorset
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

on  ptw-ag04 tonight (after a short ill-fated stay on ptw-ag02). Slight increase in latency, to be expected I guess, but so far no packet loss
deathtrap
Grafter

Took me a while tonight to find an endpoint/gateway that was capable of providing full throughput in both up and down directions , and the latency was also showing a lot of jitter on some i hoped on to for a very brief period before going onto the next , BNG  01 the throughput was poor and jitter high , as was PTN 02  and i think PTN 04 wasn't too good either
jimbof
Grafter

Has anything happened with these issues of peak time packet loss?  Looks like the problem is still visible, and I'm sure if I gateway hop I'll find a route which doesn't have the issue...

This is on pcl-ag07, so it clearly isn't limited to the ptw-bng01 gateway... (apologies for the misleading thread title, feel free to change it Smiley )
AndyH
Grafter

There should be an update on this as it's been on-going for a while and the packet loss will be affecting end user performance.
Have BTw identified which MSIL Link/Extension Path is affected and an estimated fix?
petejackson
Grafter

Hi, we've been actively monitoring and investigating the packet loss since first brought to our attention via our and your graphing. Various actions have been taken to mitigate what we believed to be potential causes however we can see that the problem is ongoing. This is being dealt with as a priority issue and our engineers are working with BT Wholesale to try and identify the cause. It does appear to be restricted to our Colombo node and affecting endpoints connected to that host link.