cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac OS Mavercks and VPN (PPTP) Issues with Plusnet

ollybw

Mac OS Mavercks and VPN (PPTP) Issues with Plusnet

My Mac (already on 10.9.2) is having issues connecting to a VPN.  It works fine from my office but not at home with plusnet.  The symptoms are - it makes a connection, everything is fine for about 10 seconds (it pings successfully to machines on the vpn), then then pings timeout. A minute or two later mac os drops the vpn connection completely. 
Any help anyone?Huh
6 REPLIES 6
PLan
Grafter

Re: Mac OS Mavercks and VPN (PPTP) Issues with Plusnet

For what it's worth, I use 10.9.2 with PPTP to connect to a Linux box with no problems.  Huh
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

What router are you using. If you've a 585v7 running 8.2.23.0 firmware then that might explain your problem?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ollybw

My router is a TG585 v8  - rev 8.2.7.8.
Also seeing errors (on the router itself in log file) like this when it drops out:
"UPnP action 'AddPortMapping' from ip=192.168.1.93 (Undocumented UPNP error)"
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Does disabling UPnP completely break VPN connectivity? Should be an option in the router interface somewhere that'll allow you to do that.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DennyMadfish
Hooked

Hi, 2 options from personal experience:
1) The mac's sleep options in mavericks don't quite match up to the slider on the screen, it can be that the mac has a sleep setting which closes network connections even before the screen should go to sleep (especially on the battery only profile). My real setting in the system was 2 mins when the power screens said I had an hour before it would sleep and close the network, meaning i had to re-sign in to VPN everytime i made a cuppa.
The only way to see the true picture is in the terminal command line.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----this is something i wrote up for people at our work, but without the pretty pictures. sorry-----
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Terminal and run :
pmset -g custom
This will show you all the energy settings for battery power and via AC power. The "Sleep" settings are the important one.
To change these settings you have the following options
You change the setting using the command "sudo pmset" with the following switches :
Battery Profile -b
AC power profile -c
(not used) UPS power profile -u
All profiles -a
Then you can select the number of minutes before the system sleeps or 0 to turn the sleep function off.
For example to change all power profiles to make the system sleep after 1 hour. You would use the following command:
sudo pmset -a sleep 60
Then you need to enter the login password to confirm.
I went with this setup
sudo pmset -c sleep 0
and
sudo pmset -b sleep 90
This set up will allow us to stay connected indefinitely when power is connected to the laptops, meaning we can run large overnight tasks. While connecting when running battery power will turn the screen off after 2 minutes anyway to save power, but stay connected for 90 minutes, which should be enough time to find a power supply.
Finally, when you make the first change you may get this warning:
Warning: Idle sleep timings for "Battery Power" may not behave as expected.
- Display sleep should have a lower timeout than system sleep.
This can be ignored as it is a warning that the default time on the battery profile has the system sleeping before it turns the screen off. The second pmset command will correct this.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) This is something that started today for me and could be related:
When logging in to cisco VPN all other devices wireless or wired can no longer see the internet.
When logging into the VPN you get in the event log:
"UPnP action 'AddPortMapping' from ip=192.168.1.90 (Undocumented UPNP error)"
"UPnP action 'AddPortMapping' from ip=192.168.1.90 (Success )"
where the IP is the address of the machine starting VPN
At this point no other machines can see the internet.
If you reboot the router you get access for all again until you log in to VPN again.
However, Switching off UPnP Allows access to the other devices.
Hope something here helps
Denny
ollybw

Thanks everyone.  Bob - your suggestion of disabling uPnP on the router is working.