Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing phpMyAdmin on the new cgi platform

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Installing phpMyAdmin on the new cgi platform

This guidance was originally posted as reply #119 on page 8 of the CGI Space changes topic. However since it isn't easy to find that I've copied it into its own topic (with minor changes).
The invitation to "Install phpMyAdmin " is a confusing term. It doesn't install anything, the process initialises phpMyAdmin - configuration files are written into /private. A link to the system phpMyAdmin folder replaces the "Installation directory". Because it's a link File Manager will not display this (though FTP programs probably will).
Assuming you already have a database setup (as part of the migration) to initialise phpMyAdmin to work with it I suggest doing the following:
Click install then working through the dialogue steps
1) Installation directory - this probably starts with /public selected. Leave at that: click the "Or create a new directory" textbox, type phpmyadmin and click the create button*. That adds /public/phpmyadmin to the top frame and selects it. Click Next.
2) Database Information - this should find your database user (10 characters plus a random number) and password (not displayed). If you've only one database that should also be selected by default. Click Next.
3) Administration Interface - here you choose a username and password which you will use to login to phpMyAdmin. This username (and password) is your choice, it has no connection with any username used elsewhere. Click Next.
4) It should now say it's installed and list details. Click Next and it should say Wizard Completed and ask what you want to do next.
Go to phpMyAdmin displays its login screen. Enter the admin user and password you set up at 3) and hopefully you get logged in to more familiar territory. Note there is no logout option, just close the window.
* If this doesn't work for you, try creating a /public/phpmyadmin folder using File Manager and rerun phpMyAdmin installation selecting /public/phpmyadmin in the top frame.
David
David
2 REPLIES 2
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Installing phpMyAdmin on the new cgi platform

Thanks for the guidance David. It's not the most intuitive of processes, I'll admit.
As you'll already be aware, some people may find something like Adminer more friendly to use.
Acknowledgement: suggestion to use Adminer courtesy of Gabe (thanks).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

wisewood
Grafter

Re: Installing phpMyAdmin on the new cgi platform

Thanks for this guide. Just thought that I would note that I had a problem when choosing the password at step 3. I use Lastpass to generate and store secure passwords so did the same here, generating a 20 character password. Nothing complained, but whatever I did I was not able to then login to phpmyadmin, getting an error that the login or password were wrong. In the end I manually created a shorter password, once I'd worked out the rules for what was allowed and what wasn't. This then let me login. I therefore assume that either the initial password was too long or there was something else about it that wasn't accepted. It wasn't very clear though.
Oh and then phpmyadmin took several minutes to load - very slow indeed, but that's another matter altogether I think!