cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct debit setup but told pay by cheque and fee for no dd

greenbrucelee
Grafter

Direct debit setup but told pay by cheque and fee for no dd

I had a mishap last month and cancelled my plusnet direct debit, I made the payment by card then re-setup the direct debit on Saturday 28th.
However I received an email today saying I need to pay this months invoice by cheque or card and pay a non direct debit fee.
When I log in to my account it goes to a page that says I am paying by direct debit and its awaiting confirmation from my bank. I was told that I must pay by card as the payment for 7th has not come out of my bank but my bank tell me that no one has tried to take the money from my bank.
I said the support team person that my invoice date goes from 7th - 7th each month however my direct debit has never gone out on this day it usually goes out on the 12th or 13th. I don't think this was getting through to the girl I spoke to though.
The girl said that a direct debit usually takes 2 weeks to setup so that is why I have to pay by card or cheque but a direct debit only takes 5 days to setup.
So my question is do I now over this payment with the fee on it or do I wait for the direct debit to go out?
9 REPLIES 9
greenbrucelee
Grafter

Re: Direct debit setup but told pay by cheque and fee for no dd

Anyone?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If direct debit set-up confirmation is still outstanding on billing date I think payment by card would be required - the system would not try to take it from your bank. Unfortunately this will attract a card payment charge.
I believe submitting and obtaining confirmation of direct debit set-up can take the time you were advised.
David
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It seems that the direct debit hadn't activated in tome prior to your bill being produced.
This payment will need to be made by a one-off payment, I'm happy to refund the £1.50 charge you'll incur as I know that you tried to avoid this.
You'd need to call our support team to arrange payment.
greenbrucelee
Grafter

Hi Chris,
I went into my bank today and my bank has said that the direct debit was setup and ready for plusnet to take payment on the 3rd of October and that plusnet have not tried to take any payment at all from the bank.
This seems to be that plusnet have been slow on updating the details.
My issue is that my account runs from the 7th - 7th but plusnet have never taken the payment on this day it has always been the 12th or 13th of each month so I am loathed to pay this incase plusnet try and take the direct debit as I cannot afford for two payments to go out.
What do you advise?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We're not applying for this via direct debit. it will need to be a one off payment.
Once the direct debit has been set up with your bank we then have to wait an instruction from them to confirm this, this is where the delay will have occurred leading to the payment not being requested via direct debit.
greenbrucelee
Grafter

ok but the direct debit setup and i can see in my members page it has been confirmed.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It may have been confirmed now but it hadn't on your billing date as Chris said. The system will not go back and retrospectively raise a direct debit charge.
You need to call CS and pay by card. This will attract a card payment charge but Chris said he will refund it.
David
greenbrucelee
Grafter

I have paid the payment by card this morning.
How do I go about getting the refund?
Thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi greenbrucelee,
That's now been arranged for you, should be back on your card within the next couple of days.