Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First thoughts on the "new" Technicolor TG589vn v3

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: First thoughts on the "new" Technicolor TG589vn v3

Wifi:
There seems to be NO way of setting N only in the wifi the only options (GUI & cli) are b/g/n or g/n
Not really tested the wifi fully, my tablet is being temperamental and will not power up. The NowTV box seems to have connected ok, but @ 65Mb. Will test tomorrow on streaming movies etc to it.
Fibre:
Speed wise well my Download seems lower today but not by a large amount, the upload is higher so probably just the normal variations.  Undecided

Been to busy brewing today to test anything else.   Grin Cheesy (All Grain brewing takes a while then there is the tiding up to do  :'()
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Hairy
Yes the f/w is based on a version of Linux, but they provide NO source code. But so does almost every CH based firm out there.

Technicolor isn't CH based, it's France. TP-Link and most others manage to release source code, some even advertise that you can install OpenWRT or DD-WRT or something like that. Technicolor can't even be bothered to tell you it uses Linux and print out a copy of the GPL.
connorrickk
Dabbler

Okay, I was also lucky enough to get this router!
PRO'S
- I have noticed a small increase in upload speed
-Looks fantastic!
-More options in the GUI
-More information on the config pages
-Much better WiFi!!
-No need for an openreach modem!
-Can now utilise the full 4 ethernet ports
CON'S
- I had a small issue with actually getting it to set up and connect to the internet; Didn't realise there was no need for an openreach modem and a manual login input doesn't actually work as per Hairy Biker mentioned. (Thanks for informing me!)
-Wall mounting the router is quite difficult, looks more awkward than anything!
Overall!
I am very impressed with this router so far! huge improvement from the TG 582n! Cheesy
The Wi-Fi range and quality is also much, much better!
I will post back soon with more updates on the router
Tabbycat
Dabbler

Wifi:
There seems to be NO way of setting N only in the wifi the only options (GUI & cli) are b/g/n or g/n

Now you mention it, I thought the same. Worse still, no "Guest" Wifi although perhaps that can be done via CLI.
Fibre:
Speed wise well my Download seems lower today but not by a large amount, the upload is higher so probably just the normal variations.  Undecided

Yes, the act of swapping fibre modems seems to have reset my profile; perhaps there's scope for having my download IP profile raised.
One useful new feature is access control, enabling specific devices to be restircted to access the WAN (Internet) during specific hours. Separate profiles for Weekdays and Weekends. I know this can be done via CLI, but from the UI is far more convenient.
Blim
Grafter

It does look nice and unlike my new router RT-N56U the ports are in the correct place XD
Not having a gigabyte interface would suggest we wont see speeds above current FTTC speeds any time soon?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Future posts asking to get one will be moved to http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108698.0.html
One post already has been
ejs
Aspiring Hero

How to have N only wifi: only give N devices the wifi key.
(The 582n has options of b/g or b/g/n, and it looks like it's possible via telnet to disable the protection mechanism if you really hate those g devices nearby.)
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: Oldjim
Have you seen the manual http://www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php?id=7600%E2%80%8E

That's a manual for the 587 v3 (not that the manuals differ that much or contain much of interest)
There's a manual for the 589vn v2 (but not v3) here: http://help.telecom.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/32667
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Just my two pennies worth.
But if PN are trialing this new TG589vn router, does this perhaps mean there are no immediate plans to offer a simultaneous dual band wifi model to compete with BT HH4/5, EE's planned new 802.11ac model, Virgin Superhub2 (cable), and Sky's next model ?
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: ejs
Technicolor isn't CH based

Did I say they were Chinese? I just said
But so does almost every CH based firm out there.

Making a general statement about the LACK of GPL enforcement.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: Oldjim
Future posts asking to get one will be moved to http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108698.0.html
One post already has been
and another one - please note
Graham21
Grafter

Hi all. Thanks for the feedback so far, very useful / helpful.
If anyone else is interested in getting a 589v3, please message me directly. I've not got any more at the moment but I'll start a wating list.
Graham
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'll assume you have put me on  Wink
dick:quote
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
HairyMcbiker
All Star

More f/b on it.
Had to power it down this afternoon to move it to its permanent hole home, when I powered it backup it wouldn't connect to PN, the fibre connected but no pppoe.
Even using the Connect button did nowt. Had to re-run the setup - at least it kept the settings - to get it to connect.
Someone mentioned a new f.w coming soon hopefully they will have ironed out some of these bugs.
Wifi,
still not fully tested, but my NowTV box said Excellent signal in the bedroom (had to reboot it to recognise the new router), and my Nook said "fair" about 8' closer  Undecided
Not tested the video streaming yet.
See what was meant about the wall mounting, it needs to be on extended "legs" to wall fix it, the holes are for "L" shaped brackets, so need to be about 1" out from the wall to allow the cables to exit the router easily.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Another bugbear (for me anyway)
The devices listed in the "local network" if they are set to static then they are NOT added to the local dns server.
E.g. my pi, I setup yesterday always to get the same address, yesterday I could "ping pi" happily. Today after the power cycle no pi is no longer pingable.
The ones I setup manually in dhcp/dns are still there fine, and pingable as device or device.lan.
This is been an issue over the 582 and now this one.
I tend to ssh to my local equipment by name rather than ip, and since it forgot the dns today I had to set it manually in the cli.