cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just half a meg more

robert1935
Grafter

Just half a meg more

I have a smart TV which requires 3+ meg download speed to function, when I was with BT no problems my speed was a constant 3/3.5 speeds.
Plusnet promised me the same speeds if I changed to them, and for two weeks I was delighted withe the speeds, then they dropped to 2.5/2.79.
Everytime I complain the speeds increase to above 3meg, but only for two or three days then its back down again, all I want is 0.5 meg more and to be constant.
My friend is a BT engineer and he fit everything up for me and he has just tested the speed at the master socket and it registers a speed of  four+meg, so whats happening PN. Cry
252 REPLIES 252
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Just half a meg more

Could you post the information asked for in this post please: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
robert1935
Grafter

Is this what you require ?
robert1935
Grafter

What I cant understand is....every time I ring the call center and complain they say " yes can see the problem give us a minute and then check your speed" and every time its increased once to 3.78megs, but it only lasts for a couple of days, why, why, why??????????Huh
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

They are probably nudging your Plusnet profile up a little and then the next BT delta report is pushing it back down again.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
robert1935
Grafter

What is the " BT delta report " ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

With an IP profile of 2.85 you are only going to be syncing at a little over 3Mbps.
We need the router stats:
Router stats - noise margin, speed and attenuation (upstream and downstream).
If you have a Plusnet supplied Thomson router this  link will give them. Alternatively put your router in here for guidance
For the latest router - Technicolor 582n - this explains how to get them. You will need to click on View More against DSL Connection to get the information we need http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-faqs.shtml#lineStats
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

It's a report generated by BT showing your BT profile which you can see by doing a BT Speedtest, selecting Further Diagnostics and putting in your phone number.
Edit: Go with jelv's advice.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
picbits
Rising Star

Out of curiousity, do you leave your router on all the time or do you turn it off often ?
It might seem like a silly question but could be relevant.
robert1935
Grafter

My router is on 24/7
Stats are
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I'm glad it's just not me then.
I'm in exactly the same position. Phone PN and they do some tweak and it increases temporarily, then day on day it drops.
BT Delta report you say. Wonder what that takes into account ?
My theory is that it also analyses usage. During the week I don't use my PC and it goes down (Smartphone 'Speedtest' check each morning) then at weekends when I use the PC it starts to slowly climb again.
Prior to PN I was getting a very steady 5.5Mbps day in day out (Speedtest.net) but no more.
I sympathise Sad
Let's be careful out there !
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an idea - is it worth trying to use the gateway (modem+router) you had when on BT (but changed to Plusnet settings) to see whether that gives a higher consistent sync than the Plusnet supplied one ?
What gateway make/models do you have available to play with ?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The IP Profile of 2.85 implies you are on 21CN with ADSL2+ available, but the router stats indicate it's currently running on ADSL1. I don't suppose you can remember if you were on ADSL2+ with BT? Maybe Plusnet put you on ADSL1 due to your line length and estimated speed being less than 4Mbps. Maybe ADSL2 would be slightly faster?
Quote from: robert1935
My friend is a BT engineer and he fit everything up for me and he has just tested the speed at the master socket and it registers a speed of  four+meg, so whats happening PN. Cry

Does that imply your router is plugged into some socket other than the master socket?
robert1935
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
Just an idea - is it worth trying to use the gateway (modem+router) you had when on BT (but changed to Plusnet settings) to see whether that gives a higher consistent sync than the Plusnet supplied one ?
What gateway make/models do you have available to play with ?

None BT sent for them back.
dick:green Quote fixed.
robert1935
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
The IP Profile of 2.85 implies you are on 21CN with ADSL2+ available, but the router stats indicate it's currently running on ADSL1. I don't suppose you can remember if you were on ADSL2+ with BT? Maybe Plusnet put you on ADSL1 due to your line length and estimated speed being less than 4Mbps. Maybe ADSL2 would be slightly faster?
Quote from: robert1935

Does that imply your router is plugged into some socket other than the master socket?

My router is plugged into the master socket which is approx 24inches from my PC
I was on ADSL2+ with BT    before they changed me over to ADSL2+ I was only getting the same same speeds as I am now getting with PN ie 2.5+ does that make sense?
So do I have to ask PN to put me on ADSL2+