Saturday 2nd August 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1]

DVSL: Anyone know about these?

• Mav
  • View Profile
« on 17/05/2013, 19:20 »
Got back home this evening to find a letter addressed to my brother's wife's son but at our address of whom I have never had any dealings.

The letter is from a company called DVSL (Data Verification Services Ltd) asking if I know the addressee if I am not him and to contact them if I have any knowledge of his whereabouts. I rang but only to find out how they obtained my address with his name. I was told that my wife's name came up in a search with Experian for an address we had never heard of but linked with the addressee. The lady I spoke to would only give the name of the road but not the house number, post code or even the area. Bear in mind that SWMBO has only lived with me since moving to UK almost 8 years ago this is quite concerning.

The lady at DVSL assured me that they are not a financial company or debt collector but alarm bells have been ringing for me since especially as she kept saying they work on behalf of other companies.

A Google search hasn't been very productive and they have no website. What I have found hasn't helped much. Quite a few forums seem to indicate that DVSL are, in fact, a debt collection agency others indicate that this is some form of phishing scam.

I quickly registered SWMBO's details (with her permission) at Experian to view her credit report and there is no reference to any address as detailed in the call to DVSL or any link at all to anyone except for me.

Now, my wife's forename is a very unusual spelling of a well-known English name (a direct translation from Russian). So, is/could she be a victim of fraud, coincidence or something even more sinister?

Anyone have anything they may enlighten us with concerning DVSL?
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
« Reply #1 on 17/05/2013, 19:27 »
HI Mav - I Googled DVSL and found enough information to convince me that I would not respond to any of their communications.

• Mav
  • View Profile
« Reply #2 on 17/05/2013, 19:32 »
Yes, that is fast becoming my conclusion.

The lady I spoke to me wanted to know more then I was prepare to give anyway.

[Moderator's note by Adie (dvorak):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]

« Last Edit: 17/05/2013, 20:51 by dvorak »

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
  • DomS
  • Bright Spark
  • View Profile
« Reply #3 on 17/05/2013, 20:49 »
I had a similar company trying to get hold of my ex wife - unfortunately her initals are the same as my current wifes.

It was quite amusing as they were posing as a financial institution. My wife is a risk manager for a rather large financial company and ripped seven shades of poop out of them.

They temptation was there to give them my ex-wifes details and let them chase her on behalf of whatever collection agency they were working for but I showed remarkable self restraint.

They got hold of me because at one point many many years ago we had a loan taken out in joint names so they obviously thought they would chance it even though I hadn't lived with her for over 10 years.
(Formerly known as Picbits)
  • DomS
  • Bright Spark
  • View Profile
« Reply #4 on 17/05/2013, 20:53 »
Checking out the details of one of the directors of the company (who are listed as non trading under DVSL)

http://companycheck.co.uk/director/912855880

It appears that she has plenty to do with debt management and asset recovery companies .......
« Reply #5 on 18/05/2013, 08:59 »
Sounds dodgy, as if  your brother's wife's son has used your address to run up debt.

I'd be tempted to register with http://www.cifas.org.uk/pr_for_individuals

It does cost 20, but I found it gives me peace of mind.
« Reply #6 on 18/05/2013, 12:10 »
It's certainly worth keeping an eye on your financial arrangements to ensure there is no unusual activities going on.
Wake Up and Smell the Coffee!
  • Mav
  • View Profile
« Reply #7 on 18/05/2013, 19:47 »
I spoke to someone at DVSL again to confirm the spelling of SWMBO's forename and it is the unusual direct translation from Russian. Not many people would know that.

DVSL still insists their information comes from an Experian search but now say it's from a search called AutoTrace. I have spoken to Experian about it but that particular department is closed till Monday so have requested a call-back.

Still nothing untoward showing with Experian, Equifax, CheckMyFile or Noddle on their respective credit reports.
« Reply #8 on 18/05/2013, 21:09 »
It seems very strange Mav.  It will be interesting to hear what the outcome is.
  • Mav
  • View Profile
« Reply #9 on 20/05/2013, 17:29 »
Having sent off a call-back request as mentioned above I received an email this afternoon with just the following:

Unfortunately, it needs to be the DVLA who you speak with directly.

In my request I mentioned DVSL several times! Don't these people actually read their emails Roll Eyes

So, still none-the-wiser Angry
  • DomS
  • Bright Spark
  • View Profile
« Reply #10 on 20/05/2013, 18:22 »
My money is on the following - they will be chasing him for an unpaid debt or similar and using scare tactics to try and make you reveal his contact details or whereabouts.

Have you actually spoken to your nephew to see if he can shed any light as to who might be after him ?
  • Mav
  • View Profile
« Reply #11 on 20/05/2013, 18:28 »
No, we don't have any contact with him. Have no idea where he is and have no wish to know either.

I had heard he moved to Spain last year then heard he moved to Ramsgate. Have since found out that the address at Riverdale Road is in London where he lived with his mother several years ago.
  • DomS
  • Bright Spark
  • View Profile
« Reply #12 on 20/05/2013, 18:46 »
Just tell the DVSL that the last you'd heard was that he'd moved to Spain and I'll bet you never hear from them again.
« Reply #13 on 20/05/2013, 18:48 »
I would tell them no more than he isn't at your address and let them sort it out for themselves.  If they persist in calling you tell them you will take legal action for harassment.
« Reply #14 on 20/05/2013, 21:06 »
Agree with Artmo's suggestion, don't give any information away. Don't think I'd even admit being related. Undecided
  • Mav
  • View Profile
« Reply #15 on 20/05/2013, 21:24 »
Absolutely. So far I haven't heard anything else so not much I can do.

I certainly won't give any information about any of us but will remain concerned and wary.
Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE