Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call charges to 118118

James
Grafter

Re: Call charges to 118118

We don't.
There is a setup fee but that is the fee for the first minute of the call after which the minutely rate is applied.
Edit: Removed incorrect statement
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The setup fee as specified by BTw is not what you are charging.
You are charging the setup fee plus a minutes call charge
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

It would certainly appear that way.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
w23
Pro

'Interesting find' on Sky Talk Tariff guide:
Effective from 1 February:
Calls made to 118 118 and 118 551 will be charged at 306 pence for the first minute and 196 pence per minute thereafter, and NOT at 479 pence for the first minute as previously advertised.

It's that very same figure again (but this time in a rather different light).  One has to wonder why Sky found it necessary to revise correct this particular figure.
Source: http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/talk/code-of-practice/tariff-guide/call-charges/
I have now also checked mobile networks, O2 charge £3 per minute (minimum one minute then charged per second at £3 per minute), Giff-Gaff charges £2 per minute, Vodaphone £3 per minute, Orange £1.49 + £1.49 per minute.
Everyone else* publishes their charges (and pretty much everyone else is significantly less expensive for calls of less than two minutes as all of mine have been).
*All the Main telephone providers I have checked so far publish their prices for 118118 (or at least for the dq143 call charge band).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We've looked at the pricing of this and we're not making much of a profit off these calls, the wholesale cost is very high (most of the other providers aren't actually making anything at all assuming their wholesale cost is the same as ours).
Has anyone tried using 118500 or a different but equivalent service?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
zxlife

Hello,
I've just been stung by a £6.75 charge for a 2 minute call to 118 118.
I foolishly thought it cost around £1.00 - £1.50 per use.
Even then the quoted rate on 118 118's website footer "Most landlines 79p per call plus £1.79 per minute (minimum 60 second charge). Other networks may vary."  would only equate to £2.58.
I find it astonishing that:

• 118 118's website say 79p + £1.79/min is LESS than the BTw price (if I understand what I've read on this thread)

• 118 118's quote is misleading.  I read this to be 79p for 1st minute then £1.79min thereafter but really it should read £2.58 for the first minute and £1.79 per minute thereafter - clearly a misdirecting marketing device

• plusnet homephone charge differently to the quoted price on the website, or even the price BTw charge (what exactly is that margin of profit anyway?  is it just 3% or more like 30%?)

• the price isn't listed in plusnet homephone's tarrifs

All in all, there was no way in advance that myself as an EU was able to know that I was going to be charged £6.75 and not £2.58.  What if the charge had been £67.50?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Complain to the ASA about 118118's misleading website, it gives a false impression and don't forget they get most of the cost of the call.
As for Plusnet, there is no excuse for it not being on the Tariff page.
zxlife

Thanks for the idea.  I have raised a complaint about 118118's notice.  This is my complaint description that I submitted (also included a screenshot of their website footer text):
Regarding 118118's quote: Most landlines 79p per call plus £1.79 per minute (minimum 60 second charge). Other networks may vary.
I was charged £6.75 per use (2 minutes) instead of what I expected to be £2.58.  Over £4 difference.
1) The price is misleading - it should read what the price for the 1st minute inclusive of both setup cost and 1st minute.  The minimum price you can possibly be charged is £2.58 yet both the figures lists "suggest" it might be 79p or worst case £1.79.
2) "Most landlines" I believe is incorrect.  We use plusnet homephone (landline) which I would categorise as a typical Communications Provider, yet 118118 charged MORE than this via BT wholesale (after enquiring with plusnet).  
3) The comment "other networks may vary" doesn't point out that they may be "significantly more" than the price listed.
4) I believe plusnet add their own small margin to the BT wholesale price.  It should also be stated that your Communcations Provider may also add a margin to the price.

dick:quote
w23
Pro

My main issue here is that Plusnet do not publish the charge for this number when according to 118.com "118 118 is contacted by more people that any other number in Britain." (source: http://118.com/about118).
They make excuses about the impracticality of keeping up with changes in tarrifs from BT wholesale and publishing these to their website but the changes must surely be notified in advance and they publish the charges to many other similar numbers so the excuse strikes me as a bit lame to be honest.
Quote from: zxlife
All in all, there was no way in advance that myself as an EU was able to know that I was going to be charged £6.75 and not £2.58.  What if the charge had been £67.50?

Exactly  Angry

Add Tesco Home Phone to the list of competitive prices confirmed as 79p + 179p per minute (minimum £2.58 for up to one minute or £3.37 £4.37 for over 1 minute and up to 2 minutes).
Call me 'w23'
kmilburn
Grafter

I think you've (and others) got a wrong numbers there...
79p setup fee,  plus 179p per minute is £2.58 for the first minute,  £4.37 for 2 minutes, etc. etc.
w23
Pro

Yes, you're correct, thanks, it is £4.37 and not £3.37 (my error - now corrected).
Still well short of £6.75 by anyone's standards though.  Lips_are_sealed
Call me 'w23'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I fail to see the relevance of comparing Plusnet's charge with the charge made by other operators. The only relevant comparison is with the charge levied by BT Wholesale and the profit Plusnet make over and above that. I'm not sure I've seen a resolution to the query over whether Plusnet are charging the set-up AND the per minute for the first minute - that is relevant.
Plusnet are a business and people here are suggesting that Plusnet should subsidise another business (don't forget most of the charge goes to 118118). I for one as a non home phone user object to the idea that a small part of my subscription would be gifted to something as awful as 118118.
I can see that keeping a website up to date isn't straight forward. However Plusnet must have a system that calculates the billing for the details of the calls it receives from BTw. Couldn't a facility be put on the portal where you can enter a number and it will tell you how much it is going to cost?
I use the broadband phone - that has an option "Announce pence-per-minute cost before chargeable calls"; that announces that 118118 will cost .42 pence per minute - is that correct?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro

The price that Plusnet pays to BT Wholesale is unknown to me, they claim that they make 'tiny' profit margins on these calls when their first minute charge is significantly greater than other CPs who also presumably use BT wholesale and who are unlikely to be making a loss on these calls.
One thing I don't understand is that BT Retail prices are below the BT Wholesale prices that have been quoted, how can this be so if BT Retail don't get preferential prices?
Call me 'w23'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CEUQFjAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fww... (DQ sheet) is what you need.
Fixed fee 227.5
Pence per minute 150.167
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro

Thanks for that (unfortunately I get errors while trying to open it, will try later on a different PC).
Call me 'w23'