cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

Are you on ADSL?
I'm just thinking with the Hub 5 being purely designed for infinity connection it uses VDSL modem and not ADSL modem.
I'm wondering if this would have any effect  Huh
I'd try one more reset (via hub's config pages)
NE  Smiley
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The homehub 5 does ADSL and VDSL!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Soolong
Dabbler

home hub does both NE, it has a broadband WAN (RED) and a broadband ADSL (GREY) sockets on the back ,if you try to connect it via the broadband WAN socket  then nothing happens. Updated my PC's network card driver as i read windows 10 and home hubs were causing problems for people over on the BT forums but that did not work. Also, the problem is also there for wireless.
Soolong
Dabbler

Decided to just buy a new router and sell the hub5. Does not seem to be a problem i can fix and selling it on ebay would mean i could pick up a TD-W8980 for about £20. Thanks for the help everyone.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Those "resets" of the HH5 - the CWMP entries, are the HH phoning home to look for firmware updates. The sync speeds in the logs there are excellent (except your Upstream is capped), so your poor throughputs speeds may be due to congestion issues, or things like your Current Line speed (Login required) not updated to match the current BT IP Profile if you've had a low sync event.
What exactly was the issue with the 582n, it's normally quite a stable device, but that might depend on your line and what version firmware it has, and yes it can be reconfigured for Fibre, if that wasn't made clear previously.
Edit: to be clear the HH5 is vDSL compatible, ie you plug it straight into the line. You only use the WAN socket if using an Openreach modem on Fibre.
Soolong
Dabbler

The 582n was booting us from the internet about 1-2 a day but since the move it seems to have stopped doing that (may have been the other white box that caused - only use the 582n now) . Have noticed some lag when a device joins the network but it seems to be working much better. After speaking to the other half we may just keep on using it. checked current line speed status and it seems everything is wrong (all old details from old address ) excepted the current line speed. the 582n is the newest available firmware. does the upstream being capped matter? would it affect gaming?

Telephone number:
    02083*******  wrong
Phone exchange:
    THAMESMEAD    wrong 
Estimated line speed:
    6Mb (This may vary between 4Mb and 8Mb) - Checked on 2015-07-28 15:18:12 wrong should be 17-20
Current line speed:
    20.6 Mb correct
Anotherone
Champion

I suspect your previous issue might be more likely to have been something to do with the line or interference unless you'd looked at the event logs and had seen entries like Kernel Cold Restart or Kernel Warm Restart when these things happened, the former could have been power dips. If you've updated the firmware since then, or even just re-installed it, that may have helped. I have known instances where the firmware (not just the config file) has got corrupted - net result - you think it's a hardware issue.
The Upstream being capped could give a slightly sluggier response on gaming. Having it uncapped shouldn't be detrimental. If you use your line for gaming, then you should request one of the CRT on here to do an SNR Reset on the line with an uncapped Upstream and Interleaving OFF (not Auto).
I would log into your account at the portal/member centre and check your details here and if need be get them updated. You may need to phone in to get everything correct - check the Support Stats beforehand to see how many calls in the queue.
Soolong
Dabbler

According to the other half latency goes nuts between 4-6 and 10-12 ,being at work/sleep i would not know but i know i just got moaned at about it. so i checked and the download speed was at 16mb and the latency ,according to BTW test, was 2500  Roll_eyes so i will get onto a CRT and get that done (i assume i private message a mod on here for that). plus i am looking to get a better router as well which will hopefully fix the problem. All the details under account are correct just not under the current line speed stuff.
Anotherone
Champion

The BTw tester isn't well renowned for it's accuracy with latency, you should repeat the test to see if it was consistent, and also use another tester eg. pingtest.net.
The ping times will increase significantly if the connection is being heavily used (especially if it's maxed out) or if there is some congestion somewhere between you and the www.
If the router was to blame it would be like it all the time not just at certain times surely?
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: welshguy2010
Anyone use the BT BROADBAND HOME HUB 4R  with Plusnet ADSL? I dont have Fibre yet, so still on ADSL.
Some fantastic prices on EBAY for the Hub 4R, so tempted to replace my unreliable Technicolor TG582n.

When I looked at a couple of those 4R's on eBay, they didn't say whether they were Type A or Type B. The type B uses a bit more power than the type A. I don't know what the differences are between them, I've been playing with a type A and if you like to "control" your modem/router and look at detailed stats etc. this is not the device to do it with. You can't even see what the current SNRM is, only the syncs speed and SNRM at sync time from the log. I don't suppose the Type B will be much different. There is no control over firmware updates, it will do checks fairly frequently, and if there is an update it can get a reboot command in the middle of the night, which on a longish 20CN (especially rural) line could be a real pain. No control over MTU & things like PPPoA/PPPoE which one assumes are fully automatic depending on the connection. It seems quite "zippy" with page loading and pings are quite good.
If you just want to plug it in and maybe set up a DMZ, Port Forward, uPnP etc it seems relatively straight forward. It is Dual band wireless and both can be used at the same time. The 2.4GHz doesn't seem too much different from 2704N I've been playing with, but some users have been having issues with Port Forwards on the 2704N. I don't have any 5GHz devices to try on the HH4.
If you've now got the firmware update on your 582n, you should see an improvement. It is extremely configurable, the GUI isn't too bad for basics, but CLI commands allow a lot of customisation. It also has extremely good diagnostic capability, with full DSL stats available through the GUI.
HTH.
welshguy2010
Dabbler

Im now using a BT Homehub 4, works like a dream, easy to set up, and available cheap on Ebay,, WIN WIN!!! 
The Technicolour is only good for the bin, cheap, unreliable and nasty!!
Anotherone
Champion

Glad you are findind the HH4 OK. But see my previous post. Can't agree with your remarks about the 582n especially as no analysis has been done to discover what's been going on.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I have a very old laptop with dreadful WiFi on which it can't hold a connection for more than 5 minutes without re-authenticating even if a yard from the router. Except...
I took it with me on holiday where they had WiFi available and it was absolutely fine.
So could someone please explain why a laptop likes working in Cornwall and not in Wiltshire, or could it be something to do with the difference between a TG582 and a Homehub 3?
Anotherone
Champion

Are the laptop drivers up to date?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I believe so - but it is an XP laptop.