cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you replaced your 582n modem / router?

ArthurDent
Grafter

Re: Have you replaced your 582n modem / router?

Graham-
1)  ADSL,
2)  Yes,
3)  Same reason, frequent dropouts (despite various fix suggestions),
4)  TP-Link TD W-8968  - currently on order,
5)  Yes,
6)  Certainly, if a replacement 582 can be supplied for use as a spare. Having been told by your sales dept that HH3 wasn't compatible I made the stupid mistake of getting rid of it!
Bright
Grafter

1) Fibre or ADSL 20CN or 21CN?
Fibre 80/20
2) Had you already had a replacement 582n from us
No.
3) Why you replaced it
Poor wireless coverage (no reception at all in parts of the house), only 2.4GHz supported, dire web UI (impossible to do anything other than very basic configuration without resorting to telnet), no Gigabit ethernet, require additional functionality (VPN server, Wake on LAN, etc).
4) What you replaced it with
Asus RT-N66U.
5) Do you still have the 582n
Yes.
6) Would you be willing to send it back to us (we would supply the bag and pay the postage)
Yes, as long as I get a replacement (as a spare, in case of problems with the Asus).
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@AuthurDent
It has been by no means proven that your wireless drops are due to the modem/router, you may be using a channel that is already in use by someone nearby. See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113543.msg979099.html#msg979099 to which you haven't responded.
sarginson

1) ADLS 20CN I presume though have no idea (Matlock exchange if that helps)
2) No
3) Bad wifi signal over distance, tried all sorts of channels etc, no gig ports, web interface hit and miss sometimes, generally seemed sluggish
4) BT Home Hub 3 (free off freegle)
5) Yes
6) Yes
Anotherone
Champion

Hi sarginson,
Welcome to the forums. Matlock is 21CN enabled. I see from your other post that you upgraded the firmware, I presume to 10.2.2.B. Before you upgraded, what issues were you seeing other than poor wifi, and were things any different after the upgrade?
sarginson

Poor wifi was the main one, though to be fair even with my previous router (which was a Belkin) the signal at the other end of the house wasn't great.
Upgrading the firmware didn't seem to make any real difference to anything really, the web interface was a still a bit picky, had to reset a couple of times when setting port forwarding etc up as it wouldn't let me fix mistakes.
The HH3 has been fine so far and wifi signal seems better at the far end of the house, no stutter or pausing on netflix which would have happened before.
tstaddon
Rising Star

PN,
You might be interested to know, my in-laws have CAT-5'd the upstairs of their 3 bedroom semi because... their FTTC Technicolor router wireless signal drops below 50% as soon as you get to the top of the stairs and turn right. Even if you stay on the landing and can still see the router below you, through the wooden banisters.
Their router is mounted on the wall about 3 feet away from the bottom of the (straight) flight of stairs so the way I work it out, you get 75% signal with clear line-of-sight over a 16 foot distance, this drops to <30% as soon as it's partially occluded, and all you have to do to lose the signal completely is go through a doorway at the top of the stairs. The doors are plywood.
SoFarSoGood
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi Graham21
1)  ADSL 21CN (I believe)
2)  No
3)  In the process see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114470.0.html
4)  See 3)
5)  Yes
6)  Yes. I was about to ask for a replacement anyway as it 'whistles/buzzes' and once you notice this, it can be very enjoying and probably indicates it is likely to fail soon, so best to replace now.
Can you arrange a replacement for me please?
One with a USB port would be good. I believe this version is for FTTC connections but I can 'upgrade' it to the ADSL firmware and please let me know the extra cost.
Thanks for your help.

SoFarSoGood
Aspiring Pro

Hi Graham21
Can you please confirm you are still monitoring this thread (or do I need to request a replacement modem/router via a ticket)
Thanks for your help.
Anotherone
Champion

I expect he'll respond shortly if he's in today.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: TerFar
I'm disappointed with the 582n solely because it only has a 100 Base-T switch

Do you do huge transfers between devices on your LAN?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Graham21
Grafter

Quote from: SoFarSoGood

6)  Yes. I was about to ask for a replacement anyway as it 'whistles/buzzes' and once you notice this, it can be very enjoying and probably indicates it is likely to fail soon, so best to replace now.
One with a USB port would be good. I believe this version is for FTTC connections but I can 'upgrade' it to the ADSL firmware and please let me know the extra cost.

Hello SoFarSoGood - I am interested in getting whistling routers back. We were in the process of setting up a return label which comes straight to me rather than going to the warehouse but this has taken longer than expected. Would it be possible to collect via courier from your home or place of work? We would know the day but not the time of the pick up.
I believe that if you 'upgrade' the fibre router to ADSL you would lose the USB support but I will check...
Graham
SoFarSoGood
Aspiring Pro

Hi Graham
Would the courier be able to provide a replacement (as I'm not able to use another modem/router atm)?
If so, fine as long as I have a choice of days(s) so I can be in.
Please let me know regarding ADSL USB support.
I can download and install the ADSL 'with USB' 'upgrade' myself.
Thank you for your help.
apjashley1
Grafter

Quote from: SoFarSoGood
Please let me know regarding ADSL USB support.

My whistling router got replaced by a fibre one, with a USB port.
The firmware on it was 8.4.4.I which works *both* on fibre and ADSL without any firmware changes.
SoFarSoGood
Aspiring Pro

Hi Graham
We now have confirmation it works with ADSL.
Thanks for that apjashley1.