cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n FTTC edition - enable PPPoA? (re: high-pitched whine)

mefibre
Grafter

TG582n FTTC edition - enable PPPoA? (re: high-pitched whine)

Hi,
The TG582n that was supplied when I joined Plusnet is faulty. It makes a horrible high-pitched whining noise whilst turned on, which means I have to turn it off as often as possible (very irritating and probably not great for my speed profile).
I asked for a replacement on Monday 11 March and was told one would be sent. Today a new router turned up, and, hurrah, it does not have the high-pitched whine.
However, it turns out that new router is an FTTC router, which is for the FTTP trial I'm on that will hopefully be installed on 9 April. Although this new router has a DSL port, any configuration for it is disabled in the web interface.
It would seem that the router I ordered on Monday was never dispatched.
Rather than order yet another router, which will itself need to be returned in a few weeks, is it possible to enable PPPoA on this FTTC unit?
All advice gratefully recieved.
33 REPLIES 33
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: TG582n FTTC edition - enable PPPoA?

you would need to reflash the firmware http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
mefibre
Grafter

Thanks for the link.
A bit nervous about flashing it tbh - was hoping it could be achieved with a few Telnet commands (changes which would then be reversed by a quick factory reset when the fibre goes live).
Also, how come the firmware images aren't hosted on a Plusnet branded URL? And the flashing tool itself is hosted on yet another URL..?
Sorry to be curmudgeonly but running executable files and installing firmwware of unknown provenance could have all sorts of very unpleasant repercussions, even if it appears to work correctly at first.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: mefibre
The TG582n that was supplied when I joined Plusnet is faulty. It makes a horrible high-pitched whining noise whilst turned on, which means I have to turn it off as often as possible (very irritating and probably not great for my speed profile).

Just noticed your post. Yet another person who got a router that makes a high-pitched noise. Seeing as you could hear it and you got a replacement that doesn't make the noise I have to revise my conclusion that only certain people can hear it; that it is actually only certain routers that make the noise. I've had four routers and they all whistle.
mefibre
Grafter

Can confirm it's some routers and not some people (although of course some people may not be able to hear the noisy routers, and to them they'd all be identical...)
Previously on Be with a silent TG582n. Before returning that router I ran it side-by-side with the original Plusnet router and the difference was very clearly audible.
Likewise, the new FTTC-configured Plusnet router is silent.
I suspect a bad batch is around at the moment...
dick:quote
Nacho
Grafter

mefibre - what make/model is the new router you've received?
mefibre
Grafter

It's another Technicolor TG582n but provisioned with FTTC firmware (i.e. PPPoE) instead of the ADSL (PPPoA) firmware on the last one. Hardware is identical.
I suspect the difference is just that this one came from a different manufacturing batch.
dick:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Also, how come the firmware images aren't hosted on a Plusnet branded URL?

They are (kind of):
bpullen@pvs-csctools:~$ whois plus-payh.co.uk
[Querying whois.nic.uk]
[whois.nic.uk]
    Domain name:
        plus-payh.co.uk
    Registrant:
        Plusnet PLC
    Registrant type:
        Unknown
    Registrant's address:
        The Balance
        2 Pinfold Street
        Sheffield
        South Yorkshire
        S1 2GU
        United Kingdom
    Registrar:
        Plusnet Plc t/a Just-the-Name [Tag = GETSURFED]
        URL: http://www.just-the-name.co.uk
    Relevant dates:
        Registered on: 02-Jan-2008
        Expiry date:  02-Jan-2014
        Last updated:  01-May-2012
    Registration status:
        Registered until expiry date.
    Name servers:
        ns0.payh.co.uk            212.56.83.195
        ns1.payh.co.uk            212.56.83.227

GETSURFED is the IPSTag for Just-The-Name who are one of our sister companies offering domain registration. The name servers ns0.payh.co.uk and ns1.payh.co.uk belong to Pay As You Host, another sister company offering hosting services.
And the flashing tool itself is hosted on yet another URL..?

That's the Plusnet homepages servers. The binarybob account is actually one of mine.
Sorry to be curmudgeonly but running executable files and installing firmwware of unknown provenance could have all sorts of very unpleasant repercussions, even if it appears to work correctly at first.

You needn't doubt the authenticity of the files.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mefibre
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
You needn't doubt the authenticity of the files.

Thanks for all the background info. I had noticed that it was apparently a Plusnet registered domain and a Plusnet homepage, but I was still puzzled that it's not all just listed in the Support Library pages, as it was for the older routers (link). That would make it seem much more above board! However I'm happy to trust that it's kosher.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: TG582n FTTC edition - enable PPPoA? (re: high-pitched whine)

Once you've flashed the router back to the ADSL modem/router, you can convert to Fibre without reflashing following the instructions at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106578.msg914793.html#msg914793 ; BUT note http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106578.msg961176.html#msg961176
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Is it the router or the PSU that is whistling?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
mefibre
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Once you've flashed the router back to the ADSL modem/router, you can convert to Fibre without reflashing following the instructions at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106578.msg914793.html#msg914793 ; BUT note http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106578.msg961176.html#msg961176

That's very interesting. It suggests that with the FTTC firmware and the right config changes, the router could be modified to connect over ADSL.
The "USB caveat" on modifying the ADSL firmware config for use on FTTC is unfortunate - I will probably end up flashing back to the FTTC firmware 8.C.M.0 in order to retain the use of the USB port.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That might depend on which ADSL firmware version you use, but Matt Turner would be the guy to answer that.
mefibre
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
Is it the router or the PSU that is whistling?

The router is the culprit. The PSU does whistle but only if you put your ear next to it.
I have tried swapping PSUs (my old Be PSU and the new PSU from the FTTC-configured router do not whistle even when you put your ear to them) but the router still whistles, even when a quiet PSU is used...
mefibre
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
That might depend on which ADSL firmware version you use, but Matt Turner would be the guy to answer that.

Cheers for the tip - I'll send him a message.