cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn a extension socket into a master socket.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Turn a extension socket into a master socket.

Hi everyone,
Can you turn an extension socket into a master socket? I am a very experienced installer but can't find anywhere on the net on how to do this? I can't use the extension socket due to being on fibre. I don't mind getting into trouble by BT or BTOPENREACH. My Master socket looks like this and my extension socket looks like this Is there anyway changing the ext (extension) socket into a master socket?
Any Help will be appreciated
J
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
43 REPLIES 43
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Turn a extension socket into a master socket.

The master socket is, by definition, the demarcation point between your wiring and BT's - so no you can't
You could have asked for it to have been moved when you had it installed but having failed to so that you are stuck with it unless you do something totally illegal
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I wasn't around when installation happened, it was my neighbour, I left instructions but obviously the engineer didn't see it and nor the neighbour. So what would the illegal solution be???
J
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: JamieDanjoux
I can't use the extension socket due to being on fibre.

What are you actually trying to achieve and why?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

My wifi keeps dropping in my bedroom, so it would be ideal to move modem and router upstairs. I am not bothered about my speeds.
J
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why can't you just connect a WAP (Wireless Access Point) in the bedroom, and leave the modem + router near to the Master socket ?
HPsauce
Pro

Anyway, aren't the modem and router separate in a fibre install, so it's just a longer LAN cable needed between them?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

No I'd rather turn my ext socket into a master socket.
HPsauce
Pro

As they say on Dragon's Den "I'm out".  Cool
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Makes you a coward if you were in the forces!! Is there any solution even illegally to convert the ext socket into a master?Huh
adie:quote
NedLudd
Grafter

I don't think you'll get the answer here.
PN are a wholey owned subsidary of BT and I'm sure they would be reluctant to see a post here apparently breaking the T&C that BT have set. BT are the sole installers of fibre and PN could not be seen to assisting someone to break those T&C's!
Geoff,
York.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

there are other options as already given here, just seems you want to be changing something that isn't wise for the sake of saying you did it.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: JamieDanjoux
Hi everyone,
Can you turn an extension socket into a master socket? I am a very experienced installer but can't find anywhere on the net on how to do this? I can't use the extension socket due to being on fibre. I don't mind getting into trouble by BT or BTOPENREACH. My Master socket looks like this and my extension socket looks like this Is there anyway changing the ext (extension) socket into a master socket?
Any Help will be appreciated
J

Really!!!  Shocked  Grin
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I thought that seemed a bit of a contradiction !  Crazy
I was also intrigued as to why the master socket in the photo looks like it is screwed to some sheet asbestos  Shocked
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

These are pics of the web. Not my actual socket, but they are the same.
*30FTTC06. I'm an electrician not some fancy telephone engineer, but I do have experience installing cables etc...