Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like an answer TODAY!

mattprince
Grafter

Re: I would like an answer TODAY!

Hi,
Just ran the test and the results are in the link below...
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24fzlp4&s=6
dick:quote
mattprince
Grafter

The thing is , I was told on here the first day I signed up that my line would support 32 and 5 but was getting 38 for the first 2 days and no isses at all. Why is bt wholesale test saying I can only get 32 when I know it can go to 38?
Bright
Grafter

OK so your downstream IP profile is 32.47Mbit/s, which means the line is synced at 33.55Mbit/s. Your sync rate has dropped a bit over the past day or two but not drastically. Could you check what your Plusnet profile speed is? I'm not sure if there's a good shortcut to find this, but I think if you log into the Members Centre then go to My Account -> Connection Settings -> High Speed Broadband it tells you there under "current line speed". This is the "speed limit" Plusnet applies to your data rate before passing the data to BTW for delivery to your FTTC link. This should be similar to the BT IP profile. Assuming it is, and you're regularly only getting around 22Mbit/s download, I'd log it as a fault on their web site. If the Plusnet profile is much lower than the BT IP profile then you could either wait a while for it to automatically adjust itself or contact support and ask them to reset it (but I doubt that's the problem).
Also, have you checked if there are any BTW congestion problems at your exchange?
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
englishrick
Grafter

I'm on the same exchange as Matt and my current line speed is 78MB but Im only getting only just over 40MB if you look at my post on here also......
adie:quote
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@mattprince
It would appear you have had no loss of sync since your last BTw Speedtest yesterday afternoon as your IP profile for the Line is exactly the same. This does suggest that there is no ongoing line problem - at least not at this time! Do you hear any audible noise on the line when using the phone, or have any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
Rather than trying to post a graphic (and it was no easier to read on tinypic),  just do a text copy and paste of the BT Diagnostic speed test. This is the one to keep an eye on (the BT IP profile) to ensure there isn't a problem with the connection. It should remain constant providing you don't switch off or reboot the modem.
I think a few explanatory notes may be useful in light of some of your comments,
The sync speed, is the connection speed that your modem connects to the exchange, or in this case the Cab as it's FTTC
The actual download speed can never be faster than the sync speed (physical impossibility) but can be considerably slower depending on several factors which I'll mention later on.
The sync speed is dependant on line quality and your line length from the Cab for FTTC (or the exchange for ADSL). Line quality can be affected by such things as interference and damage to the cable and connections as well as the type of cable.
Your sync speed should be constant if the line is very good (no drops). If your connection is constantly dropping and the sync speed is getting slower, this indicates a line problem, a modem problem or a fault on the DSLAM equipment in the Cab.
With the current BT modem & firmware, you can't check the sync speed and other stats directly (as you could with ADSL) but you can check your BT IP Profile for the line which is directly related to sync speed by running the BTw Diagnostic Speedtest. As already stated ideally this should remain constant, or only change by a small amount in a less than ideal situation and not change frequently.
The BT IP Profile for the Line is mirrored by Plusnet's Current Line speed (Login required) for good traffic management.Unfortunately if you have had a drop in Profile which then goes back up, the Current Line Speed can lag giving a slower download than might otherwise be achieved.
The download speed you actually achieve will be dependant on many factors, amongst which are your computer setup & whether wired or wireless, the router, modem faults, DSLAM congestion & faults, BT network congestion & faults, ISP Network congestion & faults. Some of these can be fairly easily checked by doing particular tests, others require investigation by the ISP or BTw or BTOR.
I hope that gives a clearer picture of how things work.
Now when you initially connected and had a speed of 38Mbps, you will probably have connected at a time when there was very low noise being picked up by your line. The noise picked up (not necessarily audible noise, but noise at the frequencies used by the Broadband) can and does vary through a period of time, and the DSLAM in the cabinet will adjust the noise margin if noise is encountered, this usually means that speed is less (that's how it works). I'm afraid Bright is wrong when he says there is no 10 day training period, because according to BT Wholesale's Broadband checker, there is for both Fibre and ADSL. The Dynamic Line Management at the DSLAM will try adjusting the Noise Margin during the 10 day training to achieve the most stable connection. Hopefully yours has stabilised. However Bright is right in the sense that it maybe unlikely to get better than it currently is unless there is a fault that can be found and fixed.
As far as the initial estimated speeds go, these are provided by BT Openreach / BT Wholesale and for Fibre especially these have been a bit of a joke lately, although it's not Plusnet's fault, it is up to them to deal with these problems as they are the providing ISP.
Now as far as the actual download speeds go, Plusnet have encountered some Network issues, mentioned elsewhere on these boards, which they have been putting a great deal of effort in trying to resolve. It is worth pointing out that BT Retail and other ISP customers are suffering the similar issues, just look round the BT Community Care boards.
So whether it is an equipment problem common to those providers using similar equipment or a problem on parts of the BT Network that all providers have to use, I don't know, but when I last checked it does look as though Plusnet are close to solving it as a number of customers have seen improvements.
HTH.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: lowlatency
Quote from: JamieDanjoux
guarantee you will have a good time at PN like I have. 
Jamie

I wouldn't call your recent time at plusnet  good Huh
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,112279.0.html

That was a temporarily error. It is now gone. I just didn't know thats all.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Bright
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
I'm afraid Bright is wrong when he says there is no 10 day training period, because according to BT Wholesale's Broadband checker, there is for both Fibre and ADSL. The Dynamic Line Management at the DSLAM will try adjusting the Noise Margin during the 10 day training to achieve the most stable connection.

I agree with Anotherone's helpful explanation apart from this point, I'm afraid! There are a lot of myths around DLM and even BTW speed checker seems to perpetuate them. There is NO 10 day training period on FTTC. For the definitive reference on the subject BT SIN 498 section 2.2.1 states:
On the first day of operation, DLM will intervene if severe instability is detected. Otherwise, DLM will wait until the day after provision before deciding if it must intervene, provided that the line has been trained up for at least 15 minutes during the preceding day.
If DLM intervenes it will set a profile with a maximum rate and a minimum rate, where the minimum rate is set at approximately half of the maximum rate. The purpose of the minimum rate is to ensure that the line does not train at a rate which is significantly below the level the line should be able to achieve. If this happened, then the line is likely to remain at a very low rate until a re-train is forced by the user by powering off the modem.

But either way, your DSL line seems stable and isn't the cause of the drop in throughput, as Anotherone says. It looks like the problem lies either in Plusnet's network or BTW's backhaul from the exchange.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Bright, well I'm not going to say whether you are right or wrong as I don't know for certain. If you do, perhaps you can educate us all, just because SIN498 doesn't mention it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist! You better also tell BT Wholesale the statement on their Broadband Checker page is wrong!
However, it's possible the extract you quoted can be misinterpreted based on the following and I quote
Quote from: BT
On the first day of operation, DLM will intervene if severe instability is detected.

BT's underlining of "if", my bold of "severe instability"
But more significantly, preceding that
Quote from: BT
Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is employed  in GEA-FTTC.  DLM constantly manages lines to maintain a target link quality (speed and stability).  It does this for as long as the product exists.

From the extract you quoted I suppose you might even interpret SIN498 as implying that there's a 2 day training period for FTTC  Shocked
So whether a 10 day training period actually exists or not isn't perhaps relevant as DLM will continue to adjust things up or down according to the line conditions as it does with ADSL.
In any event Plusnet can advise what the actual profile that DLM has currently set is, which would be helpful in trying to understand exactly what is going on.
mattprince
Grafter

Noticed something weird today. if I do a speedtest on wifi I get 21mb down and 4 up , if I do it Ethernet its 31mb down and 4.5 up. It never did that before as I alternated between Ethernet and wifi to see if it was my wifi card in the pc. Also , how do I get the line manually put back to 38mb, which it did perfectly fine when it was first installed?Huh
Matt
Anotherone
Champion

The slower WiFi speed is because you either hadn't got a strong enough signal at the time or there was interference from another local network on the same channel. You could try changing channel. But as far as assessing your line's performance you should always use Ethernet and the BTw Diagnostic Speedtest. Also check your Current Line speed
Other than that -
.......Now when you initially connected and had a speed of 38Mbps, you will probably have connected at a time when there was very low noise being picked up by your line. The noise picked up (not necessarily audible noise, but noise at the frequencies used by the Broadband) can and does vary through a period of time, and the DSLAM in the cabinet will adjust the noise margin if noise is encountered, this usually means that speed is less (that's how it works)......... The Dynamic Line Management at the DSLAM will try adjusting the Noise Margin .......to achieve the most stable connection. Hopefully yours has stabilised........
As far as the initial estimated speeds go, these are provided by BT Openreach / BT Wholesale and for Fibre especially, these have been a bit of a joke lately, although it's not Plusnet's fault, it is up to them to deal with these problems as they are the providing ISP.
Now as far as the actual download speeds go, Plusnet have encountered some Network issues, mentioned elsewhere on these boards, which they have been putting a great deal of effort in trying to resolve. It is worth pointing out that BT Retail and other ISP customers are suffering the similar issues, just look round the BT Community Care boards.
So whether it is an equipment problem common to those providers using similar equipment or a problem on parts of the BT Network that all providers have to use, I don't know, but when I last checked it does look as though Plusnet are close to solving it as a number of customers have seen improvements.
Bright
Grafter

From the extract you quoted I suppose you might even interpret SIN498 as implying that there's a 2 day training period for FTTC  Shocked
So whether a 10 day training period actually exists or not isn't perhaps relevant as DLM will continue to adjust things up or down according to the line conditions as it does with ADSL.

Yes exactly. Unless there are severe problems DLM doesn't intervene on the first day. From the second day onward it adjusts the sync speed in order to stabilise the line. It works exactly the same way on the 2nd day, the 10th day, the 110th day and the 1010th day. There is no 10 day training period, just constant monitoring and adjustment from the 2nd day onwards.
In practice what this means is that if the line is stable, the BT IP profile stays (pretty much) fixed from Day 2 onwards. If the line suffers from fluctuating noise/interference/other adverse conditions, the DLM effectively reduces the sync rate in order to try and achieve a stable throughput rate, which generally manifests itself as a reducing IP profile. It seems the profile only goes up again if the line re-syncs.
But this is NOT the problem that Matt (and Englishrick) are suffering. Matt has a data throughput rate much lower than his sync rate. Englishrick is apparently on the same exchange and has the same issue. My guess is that the problem is insufficient capacity in the BTW backhaul from that exchange.  My advice would be to raise this as a fault with Plusnet, since I personally don't think this is acceptable.
Anotherone
Champion

I think that most of us are aware of the continuous activity of DLM thanks  ::). The point of debate you raised was related to the fact that the BT Wholesale Broadband checker page claims there's a 10 day Training period for FTTC, anyway it's irrelevant.
Whist you have several times mentioned exchange congestion, and possible BTW backhaul problems, are you aware of the wider problem that is affecting many other users not only on this exchange http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111170.0.html and not only on Plusnet, just look at the BT Community Care forums as well for example.
braduk210

I suffer from this exact problem, i have a post on it http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,112409.0.html I have only been an activated customer 3 days. I have just seen the post by Anotherone, and viewed the linked post, as it was started over a month ago imo i would have expected it to be resolved by now. It certainly worries me if this is going to be the sort of service i am in for from this point forward.
At the end of the day we pay for a service. I expect that service to be provided, The service provider is responsible for ensuring they can provide the capacity for their customers or ultimately prevent users joining. I also care not about users of other providers regardless of if each provider is re-selling BT's network we are not paying BT. To start a thread and suggest that customers sit around disconnecting/reconnecting their sessions on their routers to get a better gateway is utter madness.
They need to deal with the problem or start refunding users for a service they cannot provide. Stop taking the sympathetic view. I am sure it would be different if your electricity supplier decided during peak times you could only have enough power to light one light bulb because they cannot generate enough for everyone to light all their lightbulbs but charge you for it anyway.
Anotherone
Champion

Don't disagree with what you say at all braduk210. It does sound like a complex network issue though, affecting a much wider End User base than just Plusnet. From recent posts by Plusnet staff, they look as though they could be close to a resolution, but we'll have to see  Huh
braduk210

I certainly hope they are close to sorting it. All in all even though i am basing this on three days use i am happy. I just think that if my line is provided up to 76Mbps and i am synced at 55Mbps then the capacity should be their to let me make use of all 55Mbps of it rather than only getting 6Mbps throughput during peak times.  As that is the whole point of fttc to give us more throughput.
If Plusnet could only guarantee everyone 6Mbps down during peak times (for whatever reason, be it their own gateways, BT network capacity) then i may as-well have stuck with ADSL2.
On the whole though for the short-term i myself don't have any issue with going into the router to disconnect/reconnect the session to get to a less congested gateway. I believe though for a large majority of customers that is an unrealistic situation.