cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another customer with ridiculously low speeds..

Edzashed
Grafter

Re: Another customer with ridiculously low speeds..

this is now my speed for today it's really moving quickly now, i am a little  Embarrassed when asked to say who is your service provider.... Should i do this  Lips_are_sealed

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'm not sure why should be embarrassed. Anyway I would guess you are not on a Fixed IP address which is why your TBB monitor started showing Red. Your IP address will change every time you have a Gateway change (loss of PPP or sync) so you will need to go to TBB and delete the old monitor and create another, this will need doing every time your IP address changes.
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
FYI the connection is looking a little more stable than when I first looked at your issue but is still dropping fairly frequently.

You need to ask Plusnet to post your updated Connection Chart as I said earlier, so you can see how much the connection is dropping and whether there is any pattern to it.
Edzashed
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
I'm not sure why should be embarrassed. Anyway I would guess you are not on a Fixed IP address which is why your TBB monitor started showing Red. Your IP address will change every time you have a Gateway change (loss of PPP or sync) so you will need to go to TBB and delete the old monitor and create another, this will need doing every time your IP address changes.

Thank you Anotherone have duly made another monitor.. Ok embarrassed  is the wrong choice of smiley or word, angry  Angry is more appropriate..
Edzashed
Grafter

Here is another update on my speed, which is now well and truly below the acceptable limit for FTTC this is getting boring now, nearly 4 weeks of dreadful service this has to stop, because why pay for something that's clearly broken... Slower than 53% of GB that do's not look good IMHO

Anotherone
Champion

I've just carefully read this through from the start. I have no doubt that BT OR probably know what is going on even if individual engineers may not have the full picture.
Just concentrating on the (BT) speedtest results, what struck me was that Upload speed has been stuck on 1.2Mbps for some time. Yet from the last BT Diagnostic speed test it showed your upstream profile as 20Mbps so that is the good news!
As I said earlier. although Aluminium doesn't perform as well as Copper the symptoms you have been seeing are not due to the fact the cable is aluminium per se. If that were simply the case, then it's highly unlikely that your Downstream sync speed (and hence profile) would be lower than your Upstream profile as it was on Jan.18th, nor would you still be having a dropping connection, never mind the Upstream throughput being a fraction of the profile, so there is clearly a fault somewhere. There could even be more than one fault. Whilst it's possible a cable fault could be limiting the downstream, that won't be the cause of the upstream problem.
Can you run the BT Diagnopstic speedtest again to check the current Profiles?
Two things I don't see mentioned, did any of the OR engineers change the modem to check that isn't faulty? Have Plusnet suggested any tests by connecting a computer directly to the modem to eliminate any possible router problems? To do the latter you need to do http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-setting-up-a-pppoe-dialler-for-windows-xp/ or http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows... depending on your OS.
Edzashed
Grafter

Here is the diagnostic check!

FAQ

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
8.35 Mbps

0 Mbps 8.52 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 8.35 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-8.52 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 8.52 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
1.17 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.17Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.

Just to add Anotherone here is a speedtest connected directly to the modem
Anotherone
Champion

Oh dear, your downstream profile has dropped considerably. No change on the Upstream. Especially in view of your other thread I would try the PPPoE connection tests to see if there is any change in the Upstream throughput.  When you've set up the PPPoE connection and run a BT Diagnostic check (post the results) you could try turning off the modem for an hour, switching back on and re-running the PPPoE tests and post the results.
Edzashed
Grafter

Well turning it off for an hour really is another option i will have to try, but it is getting absolutely ridiculous, I am powerless i have tried complied with everything tested re-tested posted and yet all is not well yes i do suspect BT know what is going on and engineers are being kept in the dark but this is poor i am @ exactly the same speed i was on ADSL2+ just about given up any hope.. Cry
Anotherone
Champion

What were the results of the PPPoE tests (removing the router from the equation)?
Edzashed
Grafter

In reply 65 just below the BTW diagnostic check  Wink
Anotherone
Champion

So just try turning off the modem for an hour, switching back on and re-running the PPPoE tests and post the results. Can't think of any other practical suggestions (that you could sensibly do) at this time.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@edzased, I'm a bit concerned from your comments here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111861.msg959208.html#msg959208 that there may be an issue with your router, is it freezing up at all as you've mentioned in the title of that thread?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

I think replies #68 & #69 show that his connection speed problem is not related to the router.
Anotherone
Champion

@Edzashed
It seems I have been misled into thinking that the BTw Speedtester correctly reports the Upstream Profile on FTTC, which I've discovered it doesn't. On 80/20 it will always report 20. So your upstream sync speed is probably not an awful lot higher than the upload speed you've been seeing.
That however, does not change either my view or the fact that it is not the Aluminium cable per se causing this. There is either a fault on the cable, or Interference (REIN) or faulty equipment -  modem or DSLAM.
Speedtest results immediately after you've had the modem off for an hour may be interesting.
Edzashed
Grafter

@ Anotherone well sorry but there is nothing of interest to see here, kept it off for an hour and i got 8150Kbps down Yawn but i did ring customer support and within 15 minutes of ringing them (irate customer) not the poor guys fault bless him, lo and behold i get another message on my Mobile Phone now saying they are going to survey it on Wednesday, hopefully this will be the hurrrahh that i have been waiting for just starting to get me down a little now.. But all you guys without all your help support and ideas i would be a just a little more stressed than i am now.. THANK YOU  Smiley
Let's hope this may be the last you hear from me pouring problem's out.... Hopefully be posting good news in the future