cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed not Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit)

cwaite
Rising Star

Fibre Speed not Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit)

I had fibre installed exactly 24 hours ago and according the BTOR engineer and speedtester.bt.com my profile is currently set to 34.02 Mbps, however,  when I signed up plusnet said:
Estimated Broadband Speed:
Download Speed: 40 Mbps, Upload Speed: 6.1 Mbps.
(Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit)
I assume that the phrase (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) means that the estimate is accurate within 1Mbit, therefore, I should expect either 39, 40 or 41Mbps Download speed, I know that it has only been 24 hours since my install and that I should expect the speed to be all over the place until it settles down, but my question for now is How long after the install should it be before I can expect the speed to settle down to what was Estimated (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) ?
187 REPLIES 187
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Fibre Speed not Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit)

I wouldn't expect your sync speed to differ that much after install TBH. What estimate do you get from here?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

cwaite
Rising Star

Hi Bob
I have got the following from BT's website:
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 41.2Mbps and upstream line speed of 6.1Mbps.
Can you tell me what can be done to get the estimate speed of 40Mbps which as you say in the esitmate is (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit)
jim:quote
zubel
Community Veteran

They literally "ask BT" - I believe this information is provided by BT from their database of line lengths / previous records from that CP#
cwaite
Rising Star

How can plusnet claim that the Esitmate is Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit? When clearly as in my case its not Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit
Len
Grafter

The inaccuracy also works in the other direction. Wink
The estimate for my line was 66Mbit but on installation the engineers test equipment read 80Mbit  Grin
My profile is 78Mbit .
len
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Even on ADSL the estimates were rarely within the stated accuracy (the majority actually achieving more than the top of the estimated range).
I know lines can vary but BT should be able to provide better estimates by now (or be more sensible with the stated tolerance).
Will they still be stating +/- 1Mb/s when they're offering 300Mb FTTP?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
cwaite
Rising Star

Sureley by telling customers that the estimate is Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit is false advertising if they cannot deliver what they are saying their accuracy is, I am annoyed about this as working in the industry I see customers getting far less speed than they are promised from the likes of Talktalk etc, but then I expect that of a 2nd rate company not of Plusnet, the reason I joined Plusnet was because I thought they offered "Good HONEST Broadband" and when I saw the words (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) underneath my Estimated Download speed of 40mbps I stupidly thought I would get a download speed of between 39 & 41mbps.
I would be grateful if someone from the Plusnet team could perhaps investigate why I am not getting near the estimated speed.
Thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I realise it's not so likely for speeds to change much after install, I'm guessing you've seen no real change in the couple of days since it's been installed? Even after a reboot of the router?
cwaite
Rising Star

Since i am still in the first 10 days of having the Fibre Service, Should I be rebooting the router?, I would assume this would mess with the Dynamic Line Management, and possibly cause the profile to be dropped to a lower speed? Am I correct in thinking this?
jim:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Rebooting the router will have no effect on the sync with the exchange so won't affect the connection - as you are on fibre there is no 10 day training period
Going back to your original question the statement about estimated speed accuracy is a load of rubbish and needs fixing
shalom2010
Grafter

Oldjim - may I refer you to http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs/fibre-optic-broadband/ - Point 4 does not tie in at all with your commnet
dick:quote
cwaite
Rising Star

Yes point 4 states
Yes, fibre broadband uses the same technology (Dynamic Line Management) as standard broadband to give you the best possible service.
So I am confused should I be unplugging the Openreach modem from the mains to try and get a better speed or is this likely to confuse the Dynamic Line Management?
shalom2010
Grafter

If it was my decision I would not touch the router or modem for the 10 days. If your're still not happy raise a question with Plusnet and ask them if your profile is capped at all. These estimates have to taken with a pinch of salt as mentioned above. Are they legally binding, I doubt it very much!
dick:quote
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

In another thread a PN employee advised to "switch off both the modem & the router for an hour over lunch time, not in the morning or evening". Left hand, right hand?Huh
However, 5ghz either way won't make much difference. I improved my wireless speed by ditching the PN supplied router & replacing it with an Asus RT-N56U dual band router.