cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone managed to get Sky TV On Demand service working with Plusnet FTTP ?

andymk
Dabbler

Anyone managed to get Sky TV On Demand service working with Plusnet FTTP ?

Hi All,
I have had a Plusnet FTTP connection since April 2012 and have been very pleased with it as I get 36.4 Mpbs down and 2Mbps up..
I am on the Bradwell Abbey exchange in Milton Keynes, and am using a ZyXel NGB 4604 router as supplied by Plusnet.
Just recently I noticed that Sky TV were offering a 'On demand' service to support iPlayer, ITVPlayer etc, so decided to purchase a Sky Box Wireless gizmo from sky.
When it arrived I simply plugged it in to power and the Ethernet into my Skybox and up it popped, asking me which was my Wi-Fi network.
After initially entering my Wi-Fi WPA2 password I was able to select iPlayer and download stuff to the HDD within my Sky box for viewing later. All was well!!!
After around 24 hours it all stopped working...
My network configuration within the menu's on my Sky box is saying that "Local Connection OK" and that "Service Connection Fail" along with valid IP address (from DHCP server within my router) and correct SSID etc..
I called Sky and they went through the usual box reset, clean viewing card contacts etc which of course didn't fix the WIFI and eventually sent me a new Wi-Fi Connector gizmo..
Same again, plugged in the replacement wireless connection gizmo, up it popped, selected correct SSID and entered password, but this time straight to "Local Connection OK" and "Service Connection Fail"..
Reading between the lines, it sounds to me that the local router connection is OK but it is unable to communicate with Sky's servers?Huh
So, as FTTP kit is upstairs and TV is downstairs and I don't have a 20m Ethernet cable to try, I tried using my Solwise Homeplugs which I know work within my network..
The Config screen within my Sky box now displays slightly different options (i.e. no Wireless stuff, SSID, Encryption details etc.) but it still says "Local Connection OK" and "Service Connection Fail"..
So I am starting to think the problem is with Plusnet?Huh
Sky customer support are useless, they just blame my ISP, but they did mention changing from VC to LLC based connection.
A quick call to Plusnet confirmed that this is not available on FTTP and suggested I post here.
Can anyone please help?
19 REPLIES 19
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Anyone managed to get Sky TV On Demand service working with Plusnet FTTP ?

Hi
Working ok for me here.
It sounds like a router issue.
Do you have the latest firmware? Can you assign a static IP to the Sky box?
Another problem could be this: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/4193817-plusnet-ip-problems-and-streaming.html
When you Sky box is not working for Anytime+, can you access any of the Sky Go services via the web?
andymk
Dabbler

Hi AndyH, many thanks for your reply...
So which router are you using, is it a plusnet supplied router for FTTP ?
Sounds like you are able to get the Sky TV On demand working, so I am wondering what the difference may be between your FTTP setup and mine ?
That link that talks about IP addresses being listed as outside the UK is interesting..
I can play iplayer etc on my desktops and laptops etc and I would of thought that would be the first thing to winge if it thought I was outside the UK.
I have a static IP address assigned by Plusnet, I have had it for years now (no one else will have used it if it is static to me), so that should be UK registered ?
Unfortunately the test that the link says to try won't work on my laptop. It says it needs to install MS Silverlight to enable me to watch Sky News live, but when I try to install it it says not available for 64 bit ?Huh
Would love to get the Sky On Demand to work, especially after investing in one of their "Wireless Connector" gizmos.
Thanks for your help, any other ideas's will be most welcome.
andymk
Dabbler

Quote from: AndyH

Another problem could be this: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/4193817-plusnet-ip-problems-and-streaming.html

Update: managed to view Sky news online using Chrome, as unlike IE it doesn't need Silverlight installed.
So I am guessing that my IP address is registered in UK and that is not my problem..
So, router or Plusnet ?Huh
Hopefully either is fixable !!!
AndyH
Grafter

What about this?

Press services on your Sky remote control.
Press select to highlight the Options tab.
Use the left/right arrows to highlight Customise and press select.
Use the down arrow to highlight Broadband Network Connection.
Use the left/right arrows to toggle the setting to ON.
Press the green button to save your settings.
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Not that this provides any help to sort out your issues but I am on FTTP and have no problems with Sky On Demand.
My Sky HD Box is connected by ethernet directly to my router which is behind the TV.
I am on the Bradwell Abbey exchange.
andymk
Dabbler

Quote from: AndyH
What about this?

Press services on your Sky remote control.
Press select to highlight the Options tab.
Use the left/right arrows to highlight Customise and press select.
Use the down arrow to highlight Broadband Network Connection.
Use the left/right arrows to toggle the setting to ON.
Press the green button to save your settings.

Thanks for your suggestion..
Sky already got me to check that and it was already 'On'..
Ta.
andymk
Dabbler

Quote from: Howard
Not that this provides any help to sort out your issues but I am on FTTP and have no problems with Sky On Demand.
My Sky HD Box is connected by ethernet directly to my router which is behind the TV.
I am on the Bradwell Abbey exchange.

Have you got a ZyXel router (as supplied by Plusnet) ?Huh
Thanks
AndyH
Grafter

I'm using my own Asus router.
It's definitely not a PN fault.
That leaves a possible fault with your Sky box or router. Do you know which Sky box you have? You could kick up and complain to Sky about the problem and they will probably replace your Sky box for free.
As for the router, I know some routers do seem to have issues with Anytime+. But I would have expected more people complaining about Zyxel and Anytime+. Have you tried the latest firmware and doing a reset to default settings?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I was wondering if this might be an MTU issue and to suggest experimenting with different settings, but from the Zyxel manual there appears to be no way to set the MTU value. The default for a PPPoE connection is 1492.
@AndyH, any idea what the MTU is set to on your Asus ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have the Netgear N300 router which was supplied by Plusnet in November 2010.
AndyH
Grafter

@MisterW Mine is set to the default 1492
@AndyMK Have you tried your PN adsl connection (if you still have the modem) for Anytime+? That might help narrow down the problem a bit.
andymk
Dabbler

Quote from: MisterW
I was wondering if this might be an MTU issue and to suggest experimenting with different settings, but from the Zyxel manual there appears to be no way to set the MTU value. The default for a PPPoE connection is 1492.
@AndyH, any idea what the MTU is set to on your Asus ?

I am able to set the MTU of my ZyXel router, I found the setting on the Internet Connection page..
It was originally set to 1454 so I modified it to be 1492 as you guy's suggested it should be..
Guess, what, still doesn't work, I still get Service Connection fail on my Sky Box..
I would love to get it to work, so thanks for all your help guy's.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Oh well, it was worth a try. I assume you reset the connection ( if it didn't automatically )
after changing the MTU ?
What setting do you have for the Plus net firewall ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

andymk
Dabbler

Postman bought me a 20m Ethernet cable this morning..
Ran it along the landing, down the stairs across the hall into the lounge (much to wifes discust as she doesn't do wires) and plugged the router directly into the Sky box..
Guess, what, it still didn't work, still get Local Connection OK and Service Connection Fail.
So, my problem is not due to the Sky Wireless gizmo that I bought, although I kind of knew that after trying it with Home plugs !!
So it has to be the router...  Never liked the ZyXel thing that Plusnet supplied for my trial anyway..
Going to borrow a router to try, so watch this space.