cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor router and problems with media sharing across home network

bigbolam
Dabbler

Technicolor router and problems with media sharing across home network

Hi, could you tell me if there is a firmware update for your supplied router.
My problem is that your router will not handle media streaming from my Yamaha amp to any of the servers running on my network.  It is not just the Yamaha as I also have problems with my Panasonic Blu Ray player. 
After wasting hours with port forwarding, resetting and playing about with different settings I have reverted to my ancient cisco linksys wireless g router and hey presto I have a stable connection from dlna devices and servers.  No drop outs, no need to reset devices every few hours - it just works.  My conclusion is the technicolor router does not operate well with dlna devices.  I suspect a firmware upgrade could take care of the problem.  Is there one available and if so does it fix dlna compatibility issues?
Thanks
21 REPLIES 21
mattturner
Grafter

Re: Technicolor router and problems with media sharing across home network

Hi Chris,
Yes there is a firmware update available, I'll update your router for you now. Let me now how you get on.
Matt
bigbolam
Dabbler

Not so fast Matt.  As I stated, I've gone back to the cisco and my technicolor router is back in the box at the bottom of the cupboard.  I'll connect it all up later tonight.  Will it update automatically on connection or will I need to advise you when its connected?
cheers, Chris
mattturner
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Yes, when you plug it in it will upgrade itself automatically.
Matt
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Any luck?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
chuckster
Grafter

Apologies for butting in, but just curious, are the firmware updates pushed out when available or only upon request?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

We don't do this in bulk at all. Only when we feel we can help a situation.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
bigbolam
Dabbler

Hi
Connected the technicolor back up last night and left on all day.  Info now showing is as below.  Is this the latest version?
I have carried out a basic test and it's no better at connecting dlna devices.  If you can confirm this is the latest version firmware I'll carry out a complete test involving a full power off and restart of every network device, just to be sure.  This will take 24 to 72 hours to ensure Ip leasing, sleep, shut down etc all works as it should.  I will let you know when this is complete.
Thanks, Chris
System Information
This page summarizes important information on your Technicolor Gateway. You may need this information when you contact your helpdesk.

Product Name: TG582n
Serial Number: <snip>
Software Release: 10.2.2.9
Software Variant: --
Boot Loader Version: 1.0.5
Product Code: 3701603B
Board Name: DANT-T
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Serial number (password) removed from a public forum to a hidden board.
mattturner
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Yes, you're on the latest version now. Please try restarting all of the devices but I'd be surprised if this resolved the issues.
We'll have a chat here and work out the next steps and get back to you.
Matt
bigbolam
Dabbler

Hi Matt
Just to keep you up-to-date.  There have been a couple of noticeable changes resulting from the update.  The router no longer shows as a media server in its own right.  This is great because it was always something that had to be scrolled past as its listing was pointless.
I also note there are some additional management tools available as a result of the firmware update.  The MAC scheduler should come in handy after Santa delivers the children's Christmas presents.
The amp picked up the servers last night without any problem - no restarts were necessary, as had been the case previously.  I'll give it a more thorough testing over the weekend and report results back next week.
cheers, Chris
bigbolam
Dabbler

Matt
It transpires that the router will no longer give a working IP address to our Panasonic Blu Ray player (model BDT 210).  It keeps giving an unusable address of 169.254.209.4.  The player will no longer access the home network drive, DLNA clients or the internet.  I've tried resetting the blu ray player and resetting the wireless network it uses from scratch.  I did try using a static IP as a test and although I achieved a wireless connection to the wireless network the router prevented wider access.  ie the same useless result as auto IP stated above.
The update also seems to on occassion give devices an IP address of 0.0.0.0.  The only way to counter this is by deleting the wireless connection through the router's GUI and letting the router give a new address upon the next request.
The router appears to work with all other devices in the house, although I would not call this a full test as I've had to cut it short and switch back to the old Cisco router which works with everything, albeit on wireless g.
Any other ideas. cheers, Chris
bigbolam
Dabbler

Helloooo, is there anybody out there?  Any other ideas?
cheers, Chris
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Whilst I don't have any answers I thought it might be helpful to correct your interpretation of the symptoms...
Quote from: bigbolam
It keeps giving an unusable address of 169.254.209.4.

The router isn't giving this address out, but rather the bluray player is choosing it itself given an unsuccesfull DHCP attempt. As you have found out, an address of this type is useless.
I did try using a static IP as a test and although I achieved a wireless connection to the wireless network the router prevented wider access

Did you set a valid default gateway address on the bluray player?
The update also seems to on occassion give devices an IP address of 0.0.0.0.

Again this isn't the router handing out the address but rather is symptomatic of the device not having a static address set, or having gone through the DHCP process.
The router appears to work with all other devices in the house

I'd be suspecting the bluray player in that case.
Mathew
bigbolam
Dabbler

Quote from: MJN
Whilst I don't have any answers I thought it might be helpful to correct your interpretation of the symptoms...
Quote from: bigbolam
It keeps giving an unusable address of 169.254.209.4.

The router isn't giving this address out, but rather the bluray player is choosing it itself given an unsuccesfull DHCP attempt. As you have found out, an address of this type is useless.
Thanks for the clarification.
I did try using a static IP as a test and although I achieved a wireless connection to the wireless network the router prevented wider access

Did you set a valid default gateway address on the bluray player?
Yes and set the static within the router range, but at the upper end.
The update also seems to on occassion give devices an IP address of 0.0.0.0.

Again this isn't the router handing out the address but rather is symptomatic of the device not having a static address set, or having gone through the DHCP process.
Thanks
The router appears to work with all other devices in the house

I'd be suspecting the bluray player in that case.

I disagree.  Blu ray player was working fine when connected to the technicolor router prior to the firmware update.  It (blu ray player) also now works fine with the old Cisco router.

Mathew

Thanks, Chris
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Your OP suggested you were having problems with the bluray player right at the beginning i.e. before any firmwarer updates? Or is it that whilst you're still having problems the symptoms are different?
What static address and gateway did you assign?