Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Unable to send emails

Hope so - I hardly dare try!    Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

So what was the outcome? I've logged in using the betawebmail url, it seems to go to Roundcube just as the normal url. I also sent a message without a problem to a Yahoo account!
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Well if the IPs are anything to go by betawebmail is different to just plain webmail.
That's RPM to you!!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hmm, well spotted RPM, changed my IP tool so didn't notice that - 212.159.8.168 for betawebmail & 212.159.8.164 for plain webmail.
So now we need Bob to try and explain why some can send and some can't  Wink
Edit: I wonder if this has any bearing on some of then other problems drj was seeing periodically.
drj
Aspiring Pro

The problem hasn't yet manifested it since I changed on 2 Jan - but then it wasn't happening all the time, only somewhat occasionally and it only happened once over the festive period on the "beta" connection.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Just got the "-1" message again - but have realised I'm on my laptop and that's not had the URL corrected away from beta so I'll hope a save works then log in on the "correct" site and try again EDIT - yes - gone now via the "proper" site
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Presumably it hadn't happened since you changed your PC to the normal webmail URL? (Previously confirmed it hadn't happened up to 6th Jan.)
David
drj
Aspiring Pro

Correct
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd suggest https://betawebmail.plus.net/ should be replaced by a page which links to the proper place and the instruction that users should update their bookmark!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: Oldjim
but they didn't do anything

To be fair Jim, you posted that on New Years Day! I'm not surprised we missed it with the bank holidays. Saying we didn't do anything it technically correct, but that's only because we didn't see the thread!
I'll get someone to take a look on Monday.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Thank you
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: RPMozley
Well if the IPs are anything to go by betawebmail is different to just plain webmail.

Two virtual IPs pointing to the same load balancers/servers.
webmail.plus.net points to the Webmail servers on port 44300.
betawebmail.plus.net points to the self-same servers on port 44304.
I'm struggling to see how redirecting the URL is going to help TBH. Knowing how the service is configured the URL shouldn't make a jot of difference.
Quote from: Bob
The error message suggests that a Webmail server is having difficulty talking to one of the outbound anti-virus appliances.

I've raised an internal problem to have this looked into but it's not high priority (ref: 74132). It's a tricky one though because nobody else is reporting the error. At the least we'll sanity check the connectivity between all of the Webmail servers and the outbound antispam appliances.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Nobody should be using betawebmail.plus.net but those who are doing so are seeing occasional errors that are not being seen by those using the correct URL. You could spend time investigating why that is or simply just stop people using betawebmail.plus.net.
Making betawebmail.plus.net give a static page that says it's fully released and having a link to the correct URL (with the suggestion to update bookmarks) is surely simple.
If you fanny about with redirects it doesn't stop people using the wrong URL. If you put up the static page as suggested,  in three months time you could delete the DNS entries for betawebmail.plus.net.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: jelv
Nobody should be using betawebmail.plus.net but those who are doing so are seeing occasional errors that are not being seen by those using the correct URL. You could spend time investigating why that is or simply just stop people using betawebmail.plus.net.

It's only @drj who's been reporting the problems. There was recently an ~8 day period during which they weren't having problems with the betawebmail URL too:
Quote from: drj
It's been absolutely fine all over Xmas since my last report - and I've just sent two emails this evening at 18.05 and 18.08 without a problem when, all of a sudden, the third one fails to go and I get the usual "-1" error message at 18.13

So it wasn't really conclusive that switching to the non-beta URL had definitely fixed it ...
Quote from: Bob
I've raised an internal problem to have this looked into but it's not high priority (ref: 74132). It's a tricky one though because nobody else is reporting the error. At the least we'll sanity check the connectivity between all of the Webmail servers and the outbound antispam appliances.

... I shall eat humble pie though, because it will have Wink
There was an error in the config for betawebmail on one of the webmail servers (webmail02):
$rcmail_config['smtp_server'] = 'relay.plus.net:2500';

The fact that the port was specified meant that the traffic from webmail02 wasn't getting to the load balancers. This would have caused issues when using the betawebmail URL and connecting to a specific webmail server. The config's been tidied up now so regardless of the URL you're using the problem should no longer be evident (let me know if that's not the case).
Quote from: jelv
If you fanny about with redirects it doesn't stop people using the wrong URL. If you put up the static page as suggested,  in three months time you could delete the DNS entries for betawebmail.plus.net.

We're happy to leave the DNS entry as is for the time being.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵