cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with plusnet broadband ?

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: What is going on with plusnet broadband ?

Yes my line lots better now getting this great speed

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Kelly
better? Smiley
OK  Tongue
& BTW my pings on ptw-ag02 aren't improving. May try a hop when I've finished a few other things!
houlton23
Grafter

Kelly,
Can I just ask: is most/all iTunes traffic still in Gold Plated from when you changed it for the iOS 6 release? The speeds I was seeing just browsing (never mind downloading) the iTunes store last night were horrific. Gold traffic (ie: YouTube) was fine, which leads me to think iTunes is Gold Plated?
Alex Smiley
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

iTunes is back in Gold as of about an hour ago Smiley

Anotherone: You are 20CN yeah?  IPSC looks ok atm, so I'm not sure why you are seeing lower pings 😕
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
James
Grafter

Or higher ones even Wink
James
Grafter

Chris - Just ran a test on your line to rule out anything DSL'y and there's nothing obvious, other than a single errored second (which is probably nothing to worry about).
Kelly
Hero

Duh.  Embarrassed
Kelly Dorset
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Kelly, yeah 20CN, better now I've hopped Gateway. I do see (sometimes significant) differences between some of the Gateways. I'll raise a new post sometime when I've gathered a bit of data.
James, thanks, yeah I knew that all was OK there, we've had some power dips today which my UPS hasn't been catching ... grrrr, they were dirty or double dips within ms. Already been onto the Network, they had a high voltage fault somewhere and the dips occurred as that area tripped out.
So all is well, apart from a rather stupidly high sync speed at the moment - neighbours must have their sky boxes and modem/routers turned off!
Anotherone
Champion

However, nobody has explained what is going on with Network Latency. I refer to my reply #10.
Edit: Added a snapshot of tonight's
James
Grafter

We had a couple of pipe drops last night Chris.
Not sure if that will have directly impacted you or not but may be a reason.
Anotherone
Champion

No James that isn't directly related TTBOMK. There is another thread about last nights issues, this thread is more about Latency issues that have been cropping up on 21CN lately.
Kelly
Hero

Quote from: Anotherone
However, nobody has explained what is going on with Network Latency. I refer to my reply #10.
Edit: Added a snapshot of tonight's

That latency was because of the drops.  Out of balance, so far too much gold traffic on those end points, meaning some latency and a teeny amount of gold drops.  This meant there were buffering problems, and some issues with BF3 which isn't being identified properly (so is being caught in Silver)
Kelly Dorset
Anotherone
Champion

Ok, thanks for the explanation Kelly, I take that applied to last weeks snapshot as well? I did have a thought at the back of my mind this may have something to do with traffic management, especially since last night I spotted some of my traffic is being incorrectly identified as Usenet, which I don't use!! and non-PN FTP not used either last night.
Any thoughts on what traffic that might be that's getting wrongly classified? Is there a specific "Differentiated Services Field" value for Usenet traffic or some other means of identifying it from a Wireshark?
Kelly
Hero

Yeah, the past two weeks we've had some problems with balance which as caused this.  Each "end point" has a limit to the amount of traffic that is allowed to go through it.   The traffic management rules determine what gets through if you are hitting these limits.  Therefore, even if these end points are maxed to death, titanium traffic always gets through.   We had a couple of end points really over subscribed which meant they were filled with titanium and gold, meaning we were starting to see some latency on gold.
Re: the unidentified traffic; look at what queue usenet goes into on your product using the usergroup tool, and do a wireshark and see if any traffic has that qos field for that queue.  That may help identify it.
I'd be interested in seeing the result actually.  We had a misbehaving e100 the other day which needed a reboot as it was marking a lot of stuff as unidentified when it shouldn't do.
Kelly Dorset
Anotherone
Champion

OK.will try and do that tonight or over the w/e if not, cheers.