cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Withdrawl of IPv6 Technical Trial

prichardson
Grafter

Re: Withdrawl of IPv6 Technical Trial

I'd like to think we can do it before the UK reached 1% adoption. I can sit back and relax more this way, given it's currently 0.18%.
I'd love to say we are ready for this and it is something that is being moved on, but there are priorities, some of which are dependencies for us to do IPv6 (the reason the trial stopped was deployment of kit that was a dependency).
It's coming. A traditional Plusnet acronym for this is RSN - Real Soon Now.
garethwebber

Any news of when you are going to restart the trial?
I see you have started the CG-NAT trial to get around the lack of IPV4 addresses. I can't do that as I need incoming connections, so am keen to try IPV6.
Gareth
redleader
Dabbler

I'm in the same boat - need incoming connections and would be happy switching to IPV6.
mwerle
Grafter

I'm surprised at the mention of CG-NAT, considering customers can still get an IPv4 address on request (£5 activation fee) - thus I was under the impression that PlusNet still had quite a few IPv4 'spare' unlike most other ISPs.
In either case I'm pretty keen for native IPv6 as well.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Do bear in mind that the static IPv4 assignment is exactly that - a static assignment as opposed to a dynamic one. It is an configuration/administrative issue rather than a reflection of the fact that there are necessarilly loads of addresses left.
Given the prevalence of always-on connections these days the difference in loading on address pool availability between dynamic and static assignments is pretty much insignificant.
However, whilst PN might not currently be experiencing any issues with address exhaustion this will not be the case forever hence the trial.
mikehiow
Grafter

Any news on whether this will be started back up again?
Were there problems with the trial? If it was working for the trial, why not let customers choose to join/stay on the trial?
ascent
Dabbler

I was part of the IPV6 test with my Billion BiPAC 7800N & it worked fine for me.
I'd love to see it as an option for my standard login as an opt-in option.
Cheers  Smiley
hazzamon
Grafter

Quote from: mikehiow
Were there problems with the trial? If it was working for the trial, why not let customers choose to join/stay on the trial?

Plusnet had to cease the trial as they couldn't maintain it due to substantial network changes/upgrades.
Hopefully at some point those changes will be completed, and the trial can restart.
TimSmall
Grafter

BTW, I see that IPv6 adoption in France is now up to over 5%.
FWIW, the IPv6 trial was one of the things which made me switch to Plusnet, whereas it's continued unavailability certainly isn't encouraging me to stay...
Is there any sort of ETA?
Tim.
hazzamon
Grafter

Quote from: TimSmall
Is there any sort of ETA?

Indeed. Earlier posts by Plusnet staff implied a service trial date some time around Q4 2012. We're now in Q2 2013!
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I'll update here as soon as we have a rough/target date for restarting.  It does get talked about, and isn't forgotten.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
hazzamon
Grafter

If Plusnet were, hypothetically, to switch on IPv6 tomorrow, I wonder by how much that would increase the UK's IPv6 stats..
ethzero

A fine question and I'd be glad to help bump that stat for my home and business fibre lines!
dick:quote
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Will it ever take off?
The NAT problem was never solved by IPv6.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

On the contrary. With such a large availability of addresses there's no need for NAT. Any other benefit that NAT might've given is usually achievable by an alternative mechanism - and usually in a far more effective way and without so many drawbacks.
Or by 'NAT problem' were you referring to something caused by NAT?