cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is not a very good start.

crabstix
Dabbler

This is not a very good start.

I agree that I've only been with Plusnet for a few hours, but I'm already very disappointed in the speed I'm getting.
When I signed up I was told that I could get 11Mb download speed, but certainly between 6.5MB and 16MB.
I've just tested my speeds on 4 different speed testers, which all show download around 2.20MB and upload around 0.32MB.
If this is going to be the norm, then I shan't be with you for very long.
58 REPLIES 58
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: This is not a very good start.

For information - duplicate post removed
Can you post the stats from your router - attenuation, noise margin and speeds
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Your line is in the "training period" where the IP Profile is determined. It takes up to 10 days, starting from a 2Mb profile and adjusting either upwards or downwards depending on the line's performance.
Stats from your router and a BT Speedtest would help confirm the likely direction.
crabstix
Dabbler

Thanks guys for your advice, but as someone getting on a bit and not used to Plusnet yet, I need help in obtaining the stats from my router.
Thanks in anticipation of your further help.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Which router do you have
If it is the TG582n then try here and click on View more once you have got to the required page on the router interface
crabstix
Dabbler

Oldjim, these are the only stats I can see by following your instructions. Is this what you mean?
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 1 day, 5:55:06
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 2.535
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 32,09 / 302,70
jim:green formatting sorted mod:end
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You missed the bit where you should have clicked on View More - see this picture
crabstix
Dabbler

Oldjim, those are the statistics after you click on "View More". In fact, you then need to click on "Details" next to "Overview" in RH corner.
I assume you mean the stats shown below.
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 1 day, 18:49:39
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 2.535
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 36,00 / 325,37
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:  12,9 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18,8 / 35,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 26,6 / 30,4
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):  -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 339 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 9 / 3
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3
jim:green formatting fixed mod:end
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi,
sorry to be a pain, could you edit your post to take out the blank lines, it's often a problem with these stats when doing a copy and paste. In the meantime I'll look at the figures.
kdoug007
Grafter

hiya  just  wanted  to say something plzzzz.
  3  weeks  back i was with BT  and  my  speed was  about  5...  its now  6....
  i would  have  thought  if  who  ever  you were  with before,, it  shoukd  be  similar..
Anotherone
Champion

@kdoug007
I'm sorry to have to say that your post is not at all helpful. Everybody's line is different and behaves differently. People can have problems with their line, their accounts, well in fact anything. I'm very glad that everything is working well for you. But your continued posts in the middle of other peoples problems is more likely to upset the person with the problem and makes it more difficult for others to help. If you just want to chat, please go to the Chit-chat board. Thanks.
@crabstix
You've had some sort of problem that's caused a low sync event, if this persists the Exchange DLM may start to limit your speed to try and fix things. Right now you need to resync BUT use the following method from now on, whenever you need to reboot/resync or swap anything -
Use this Disconnect method -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on. On the Thomson modem/routers you will typically find it in the box marked Internet as shown here.
Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router,
connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  
Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection (or a worse one than you may have).
Is everything that's plugged in to the line connected via filters, eg. Sky boxes , phones, fax machines etc.?
Also note, you can user the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
Edit: typo and fix broken link.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: crabstix
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:
26,6 / 30,4

Ouch, the downstream SNR should normally be around 6.  If this is actually reading 30 then you either have a serious problem, your line has been banded, or your router is misreporting.
Have you tried plugging the router into the BT Test socket (found here) and re-reporting the stats from the router?
Cheers
B.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: Anotherone
Right now you need to resync BUT use the following method from now on, whenever you need to reboot/resync or swap anything -

He's not been banded yet, just a low sync event for some reason compared to previous stats.
crabstix
Dabbler

I thank you all for your sound advice. Unfortuneately, I'm not fully aufait with your instructions.
What I have done is disconnect from the internet, plugged the router into the test socket, and I've just checked my speed at just under 7MB.
Here are the stats, immediately taken after I reconnected, but I do not know how to take out the blank lines.
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:03:07
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 12.495
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 42,33 / 380,20
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,5 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18,7 / 35,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29,3 / 6,1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 353 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3
HEC Errors (Up/Down) 0 / 4
jim:green blank spaces removed mod:end
Anotherone
Champion

The stats look fine now, apart from all the blank lines in the post - you can edit you own post by clicking on the Modify button just above the post, and delete the blank lines. This will save a Mod having to do it. As far as disconnecting goes, there is a link in the middle of the guideline showing you where to locate your Disconnect/Connect button, so this is the best thing to do -
Whenever you need to reboot/resync or swap anything -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on. On the Thomson modem/routers you will typically find it in the box marked Internet as shown here.
Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router,
connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  
Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection (or a worse one than you may have).
Also note, you can user the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
This is where you can effectively change the "channel" that you are connected to a the Plusnet end and doesn't cause a resync with the exchange. There maybe all sorts of reasons you may wnat to do this from speed issues to pages not loading, lots of lag, etc.
Now in relation to the fact that you sync speed was low (your Bandwith Down) it's called by your modem/router -
Is everything that's plugged in to the line connected via filters, eg. Sky boxes , phones, fax machines etc.?
Now you are plugged into the test socket any fixed extension wiring and sockets should be disconnected, if you have any. The front plate you've removed to get to the test socket will have wires attached to it if you have fixed extension wiring. If there is any, tell us the colour of the wires and what terminal numbers they are connected to.  Also don't use any plug-in extension leads to connect your router to a filter or the filter to the socket.