cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capable of higher speed but not sustained.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Capable of higher speed but not sustained.

As long as the drum of cable is on the Phone side of the filter, it shouldn't be a problem, unless the filter is faulty (or cr*p  Shocked )
PS. Bullet, you can always edit your post for errors or additions by clicking on the 'modify' button  Wink
Xenon
Grafter

Okay guys I tried my speed this morning still around 2.6 - 2.7 one thing I forgot to mention was that I moved the modem around a foot a day or two ago  to get the power cable away from some curtain.... put it back where it was no change.This morning I also reverted to my smaller cable which I purchased myself ( having been told you need as short a cable as possible between socket and router).I had been trying the longer cable provided with one of the routers but again no change still 2.6 ish. Ive disconnected the phone to my room so now there is just one one and the router connected to the socket ( its the one on the right of those three and doesnt need a micro filter) . No change. I've tried my third older router ( still a thomson gateway v7) no change.
Okay guys heres something really odd and perhaps you can advise... Ive always used
http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
to test my speed but today something about the way the needle of the 'speedometer' moved made me try a few others and they all gave me a speed of 3.69 Sad which is my usual speed  Embarrassed
The saga gets more complex cos Ive just tried BT's download speed tester too.....its seems theyve changed it cos last time I tried it wouldnt work  and they gave me a download speed of 2.16... so at this moment Ive got one site telling me my speed is 2.7, another 2 telling me my speed is 3.69 and bt telling me my speed is 2.14 .... Undecided
This one - http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ - mentioned on plus's site also gave a reading of 3.69 Sad so two speed checkers recommended by plus are giving totally different speeds too.
Heres my info taken at 12.05 today
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:38:56
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 6,091
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 2.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 38.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.5 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5,114
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 18
HEC Errors (Up/Down):
Xenon
Grafter

I think I made a mistake trusting my speed checker...... I thought that was something basic that couldnt go wrong and Im wondering if I ever got speeds of 5 at all because I never tested them with another speed checker... Angry
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Xenon,
I was hoping first to see the stats from the same modem/router as yesterday evenings stats without it being turned off, ie without a resync taking place so that I could make a direct comparison of noise levels and error rates. Never mind, too late to do that. Which one is it now (a v7 or the v8) and where is it plugged in? (via your short lead?)
Let me clarify one thing, when you swap modem/routers, filters or cables etc.,  you will not see any immediate change in your throughput (download) speed as per speedtesters, because it will take a while for your profile to change as a result of any sync speed  (Bandwidth Down) change and also the Plusnet Current line speed has to catch up - usually not very quick. Can you goto https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (login required) and post back what the Current Line speed says?
When swapping things about, what we do need to see is the ADSL line stats, that's where the immediate effects occur and how we can judge whether a change is better or not, and/or come to other conclusions about performance.
So for the time being, forget these speedtesters, you will get variabilty between them, you will also get variability sometimes by the second depending on how much traffic is going through your linecard at the exchange, the exchange and various gateways and etc on route. The BT speedtester is the only one we will want to look at in the short term, mainly to see what it says the Profile for your line is.
Xenon
Grafter

Hi Another
apologies I misunderstood what you wanted me to do.... Im trying a third thompson router its my original V7 and its connected via a shorter lead to the socket..(is it usual for these things to get so hot I noticed they all seem to get hotter than Id like)
Current line speed:
    3.9 Mb
That's the info I got via the link you gave.
just tried bt again its giving 3.24 now.....
Xenon
Grafter

One of plus's plans for sorting my speed was to try throwing a new router at it... I never asked they just sent them. What Im wondering is why they never tried a different model  Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion

Yes they can run rather hot, some are worse than others, hotter is not a good idea from a reliability point of view.
When you say "just tried bt again its giving 3.24 now..... " was that throughput speed or the IP profile for your line?
Can you also post the ADSL stats again as they are now?
Xenon
Grafter

Have to excuse me Another that was the download speed... not being a tech as far as I know there's an upload speed and a download speed and thats it  and as far as I was aware for the stuff I look at on the internet it was the download one that was important....
To me as far as speed was concerned the higher that needle on the broadband speed checker speedo went the better and that was it....  Cheesy
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 2:32:02
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 8.00
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 6.0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 30,228
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 211
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 170
Taken at 13.58

Anotherone
Champion

Don't worry about not being a tech, you're learning a bit as you go along. At the end of the day, how far the needle goes up will become relevant, and yes the download one is the more important unless you do lots of uploading of course.
Once the downstream sync speed (Bandwidth Down, Data Rate, Connection Rate to quote some of the other names used by different modem/router manufacturers et al) is sorted and stable, then the Profile/Current Line speed will improve and then the Throughput/Download speed improvement will generally follow.
If you can leave the modem/router on 24/7 if needed that will help for stats comparison.
For the short term, when using the BT speedtester, always want to know what it says "The IP profile for your line is" (down).
It looks as though the Current Line speed being 3.9Mb is what is currently limiting your download speed. This figure will be because you've had a low sync event at some point and your BT Profile has gone down, but should now have gone up and the Plusnet figure should follow in due course (This depends on what is called a Delta report from BT, how quickly it is sent, and how quickly Plusnet update).
You can do a simple copy of the BT speedtester results box by highlighting with your mouse, then right click Copy, then Paste in here.
Next time you can run the BT speedtester, please post the results, along with the current ADSL stats.
So if I've understood correctly, you've currently got your original v7 with a short cable plugged into the ADSL plate and just the one phone plugged into the other socket on the plate.
When Plusnet sent you the v8 did it come with a microfilter?
Xenon
Grafter

The router is either the first or second plus provided me with but its definately the v7,I assumed the v8 should be more up to date...but it didnt seem to give significantly improved performance so Ive been swapping these around to seeing which worked best.... At the moment both phones are connected back to the socket using a two way adaptor...The modem is connected by a cable approximately 18 inches long.. I actually thought Id got a shorter one that that. Its not the original router cable though those are much long and seem poorer quality. I'm sure I looked for a shorter cable on ebay..... But at the moment its definately the 18 incher that's in use. Perhaps its time to look for an even shorter one ?Huh
Anotherone
Champion

No point in a shorter cable, won't be any benefit. Did you have a microfilter with the v8 ?
Can you post the BT current speedtester data and the current stats?
Xenon
Grafter

There probably was a microfilter with the v8 but one microfilter played up and I replaced it, however the new socket doesn't need a microfilter .
BT gives a download speed 3.14
Uptime: 0 days, 6:10:16
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 19.00
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.0 / 6.5
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 6 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 136,812
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,510
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,342
Taken at 17.36
Xenon
Grafter

Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
    3.9 Mb
Anotherone
Champion

You didn't mention what the BT Tester said the "IP Profile for your line is ..."
OK, the CRC errors have gone up significantly since the previous stats, in fact the average per hour has gone up 3½ times compared to the first 2 sets. Now I don't know whether this may be just because you've plugged the 2nd phone back in or perhaps been using any electrical equipment in the last 2-3 hours or so, or some other cause.
What I think we need to try, I know it's a new faceplate but, they can go faulty, is get a good filter, remove the ADSL plate and plug the filter into the test socket behind and plug the v8 into the filter, no phone for a moment, and immediately post a set of ADSL line stats. Then plug only the nearby phone (not the extension one) in and take and post another set of stats.
Xenon
Grafter

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.01 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 5.37 Mbps
Just done that this minute
will do the face plate thing a bit later.