cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed Erratic

peterbarker
Grafter

Fibre Speed Erratic

I have FTTC just over a month.  Once the speed was adjusted by PlusNet all seemed well. Speeds were usually up to 35 MBps download. (my line should be OK for up to 37 MBps).  Recently speeds have seemed very erratic and sometimes it has been running very slow indeed.  For example, just before posting here I tested the speed via http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ which is recommended by PlusNet Fibre Instructions.  Speed was 2.274 MBps which is slower than before Fibre was installed.  Upload is usually stable at about 1.7 MBs
I wonder whether Fibre speed is demand related?  So the speed increases when it needs to and then slows down if you are not placing much demand on the system?  I ask that because I recently viewed an iplayer programme in HD and it ran without any significant buffering or other delay.
Or is there a possible fault?
12 REPLIES 12
houlton23
Grafter

Re: Fibre Speed Erratic

Mybroadbandspeed.co.uk and the BT Speedtester have been giving very erratic test results recently.
I would recommend you try speedtest.net which is usually much more consistent in results.
Alex Smiley
garybaldi
Grafter

I'm experiencing a similar issue which led me here.
I've not long upgraded to fibre (around 2 weeks ago) and the connection has been great!  I've done lots of speed tests since having fibre installed and
have been getting very good results (37 - 40Mb).
Over thelast couple of days however I've noticed a major drop in download speed.  The speedtest download results vary from around
0.6Mb to 6 or 7 Mb.  I've tried mybroadbandspeed.co.uk, speedtest.net and the BT speedtester.  All the same.  Upload speeds are fine (about the same as yours)
I've run through the troubleshooting steps have re-booted all equipment and tried another PC connected directed to the openreach modem and the master socket and the results are the same.
There is no noise on the line.  The upload speed seems to be fine.  My line speed is showing as 37Mb from the plusnet portal and the Bt speedtest results show similar, see below:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-38.72 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.72 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.81Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps
Since having fibre installed it's been perfect (as have my ADSL1 and ADSL2 connections previously).  It's just last couple of days I've noticed this issue.
I'm not posting to hi-jack your thread, just seems you are having a very similar issue to me (obviously could be a complete coincidence).
Gary.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Gary,
I'd certainly suggest getting a fault raised. However, could you try running a speed test connected directly to the modem? If you're not sure how to do that let me know what Operating System you're using and I'll show you how.
Jojo Smiley
garybaldi
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
I really don't want to hi-jack Grecian's thread so I'll keep this brief, but yes I raised a fault last night.  I've tried another PC connected directed to the Openreach modem and conencted to the master socket and same results.
Cheers,
Grecian, would be worth you trying the same thing perhaps?
Gary.
gree0115
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

We've also been experiencing the same issue. Username gree0115 on the Bicester exchange. We had fibre installed last Friday (2nd March). The speed was 32Mb/s when the engineer first switched on but it never seems to remain stable. A lot of the time when I try speedtest.net it's around the 2.5Mb's not much quicker than when we were on standard ADSL.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Guys, if you have run a BT Speed test directly connected to the modem and still get the same results then I would certainly raise a fault Smiley
BlastWave
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
HI Gary,
I'd certainly suggest getting a fault raised. However, could you try running a speed test connected directly to the modem? If you're not sure how to do that let me know what Operating System you're using and I'll show you how.
Jojo Smiley

Hi Jojo,
I'd like to try this - can you let me know how to do it with Vista please?
Thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi BlastWave,
Here's the one for Windows7 and Vista
And in case anyone is still on XP here's the one for that.
Jojo Smiley
peterbarker
Grafter

Thanks for the interesting comments and suggestions. 
I have tried http://speedtest.net but results are similarly eratic to www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk ;
Tonight while preparing this post, I ran a simultaneous test.  http://speednet.test gave 29.98 MBps and www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk gave 32.198 MBps, which is much closer to my estimated max of 37 MBps 
However, 5 minutes later http://speedtest.net was down to 21.75 and www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk was down to 10.861 
Tonight's results are better than the speeds I often see, which are frequently slower than my previous conventional broadband. 
I also use wifi.  I have a laptop and it is quite easy to run the test directly wired into the router, which I have done several times.  However, the difference between wifi and hard-wired test is never significant.
So I still wonder if these fluctuations depend on the amount of load you are placing on the system?  Of should I report a fault?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi grecian,
have you tried the tests directly from the modem using the guides I posted above?
Jojo Smiley
garybaldi
Grafter

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know the at this point in time my problem is resolved 🙂
Via Plusnet support I had an Openreach engineer visit.
- He confirmed he could get 40Mb when tested from the master socket and no faults found.
- He first replaced the down lead to the property and re-did the master socket.  The speedtest results were the same.
- http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ reported my IP profile was 38.7Mb (or around that, I forget the exact figure) but still only about 3.5Mb down.
- He could still get 40Mb when tested from the socket and still no faults found.
- He was on phone for ages to BT various BT support teams.
- He then did a 'lift and shift from cabinet/exchange' and enabled my connetion on a new port.  Again the speedtest results were the same and he could still get 40Mb when tested from the socket.
- He then replaced the BT Openreach 'modem' and this resolved the issue.  Might  have been easier to replace this first 🙂
I had done various tests from PC(s) directly connected to the Openreach box and that in turn to the master socket. So had ruled out everything excpet for the openreach box.  Odd that it was synching at 38.7Mb but the throughtput from the box was sporadic and ranging from 0.5Mb to 12Mb.
My speeds are now back up to 40Mb and I'll be closely monitoring this.  Just thought I'd let you know in case this helps anyone else.
Gary.
matt_2k34
Grafter

@Gary
Seen as your new the engineer attending probably assumed you had one of the new BT OR modems (which seem to not commit suicide) - the first few versions of the Huawuawai (proper name, i swear  ;)) were utter crap.
Just thought I'd let you know in case this helps anyone else.

Most of the time with FTTC faults - its normally advised to change this first (BT would know this Wink ) So if you *did* have a new modem, it either means that

• The new one isnt as stable as BT are saying it is

• (or more hopefully) You had one from old stock

• (or more hopefully) The unit was defective from the start which just got progressively worse

@Grecian
The "speed tests" are seemingly becoming a little unreliable (probably the amount of people with fibre constantly checking how fast they can go!) - My favourite server (London - Provided by Trance FM) has just disappeared off Speedtest.net Sad Most others are pretty erratic- even if you do test after test - i rarely  get the same result...
Best thing to do is download something from a source you know will have ample bandwidth, Perhaps Steam, or a Service pack from Microsoft's download centre would do it - Or perhaps download a Linux ISO (baring in mind using a P2P method of this may be subject to traffic shaping, and it may skew the result dependant on time of day!
While you've said the speed is fluctuating loads ... Does it "FEEL" slow - or is it likely its just dodgy readings? Speedtester.bt.com should be about the most accurate (read should ;))
However, the difference between wifi and hard-wired test is never significant.

Indeed, however the extra 'junk' thats put in to do with the wireless encryption etc, can cause false readings (particularly when mixed with an AntiVirus that 'buffers' that data as it downloads (i've seen people on "up to 8mbit" getting speedtests of over 100mbps...) wired just removes so many little bits which can cause problems - also wireless 'g' may not be able to keep up with the incoming broadband speed, dependant on what else is using the access point, connection quality and interference
If it doesnt "FEEL" slow - id ignore the most likely dodgy speedtest results and just be happy browsing Smiley - if it feels slow and speedtester.bt.com is showing waaaaaaay off the pace, raise a slow speed fault Smiley
Regards