Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speedtester Changes

x47c
Grafter

Re: BT Speedtester Changes

Quote from: Router
One thing I have noticed is that the IP profiles are updating more quickly on 20CN. Before, sometimes the profile would update in 12 hours and sometimes the profile would update in three days. It has been 12 hours twice now ( large increase in sync speed).

on 20CN
Below is the time for the BT side of IP profile to be updated.
The % numbers listed are the percentage changes in line sync' speed.
For an example, if your inital sync speed was 3000 and you new sync speed is 6000, your percentage increase is 100% and it will take 12 hours to change the BT IP setting.
Larger increases mean that you will wait a shorter time for the change to be made.
Smaller increases require a much longer time connected at the new sync before the system will change the IP setting.  This is logical as a line may get marginally better due to reduced 'noise' for a short period of a day or so and then return to its previous setting.  In such circumstances a change to the IP setting is not warranted or desired.  You can get into a chasing your own tail scenario with the IP setting chasing the sync setting back and fro if a time delay is not built in.  Those with control systems theory background will recognise this as instability caused by increasing the gain too high.

Increase in sync                Time before the BT IP profile is changed
Between 0% and 8%    120 hours
Between 8% and 10%    96 hours
Between 10% and 15%      72 hours
Between 15% and 20%      48 hours
Between 20% and 40%      24 hours
Between 40% and 250%      12 hours
Between 250% and over        4 hours
Cathotel
Grafter

Hi JoJo,
Apologies from me if I was a bit you know what on Friday  Embarrassed
Everytime for me irrespective of browser or pc/laptop.  Hardware/software eliminated by taking a laptop and desktop to a BT Infinity friend on a different exchange and the BT Tester worked using IE9, FF10, Chrome latest and all with latest Java v31
It's simply as if BT records can't tie in our telephone number to our service.
Also tried my Service Id and same error.
BT Forums still have some 'failures' as well.
I would be happy to be guinea pig in any test that BT want to do if it gets that far Smiley as I can be at home 24/7.
Cheers,
Pete
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Cathotel
I would be happy to be guinea pig in any test that BT want to do if it gets that far Smiley as I can be at home 24/7.

I can be at home most times as well if you want me to do any testing.
niko
Grafter

not sure if this is related to the bt speed tester or my line problems
but i was downloading faster than the plusnet profile was set at
pl profile@ 1750 i was getting 1950 on 3 differant testers includeing bt;s
this was with my bt profile@2000  ,this shouldnt really be possible should it
was downloading at 1650 untill i rebooted ,then got the 2000 profile speeds (i checked with plusnet and it was still set at 1750 at there end )
very odd
mikeyriot
Grafter

was everyone else having this issue on the trial too by any chance?!

I never really saw any problems during the trial, the occasional too busy, but never for this long. To be fair though I only joined the trial in february '11 so missed the majority of it.
mxs
Grafter

Quote from: mikeyriot
I never really saw any problems during the trial, the occasional too busy, but never for this long. To be fair though I only joined the trial in february '11 so missed the majority of it.

Yup - I have only had issues since the speedtester was updated, but I wondered if the customer records of those on the trial could be causing the problem (since it seems to fail when 'checking user details') - since others seem to be hitting the problem it is prolly something else though. Wink
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: mxs
since others seem to be hitting the problem it is prolly something else though. Wink

Indeed, I am one of those "others"
Cathotel
Grafter

As of 11:45 BT Speedtester still results in Test Error after 10 days. Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI guys,
Just to let you know that I've now emailed our suppliers with your examples and other information I have. I'll report back once I get a reply.
Jojo Smiley
Cathotel
Grafter

Hi JoJo,
Many many thanks and I hope you saw the below from me on page 6 reply 91.  Frustration got the better of me  Embarrassed
Look forward to their reply..
Regards,
Pete
Quote from: Cathotel
Hi JoJo,
Apologies from me if I was a bit you know what on Friday  Embarrassed
Cheers,
Pete
niko
Grafter

just to add another odd thing that's happened
the test got to the stage of sending results to server the the page refreshed back to the bit where you tick box and choose which product your on
but it still had sending results to server at the top of the page
WWWombat
Grafter

Finally, I'm in the right place & right time to try this out...
FTTC connection, at 40/10.
Laptop, running Windows Vista, connected with wired 100Mbps
Firefox 9.01
Java v6 update 30.
Speedtester worked OK; authenticated quickly, and ran the tests a bit faster than before. It gave the fastest results I've seen on that tester: 38/9.78
The IP Profile is not available when the tests are running
The IP Profile shows in the result page as 38.72/10
I have no missing Mbps at the moment: Speedtest.net gives 37.5Mbps, with a PN profile of 20Mb.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
KevinG
Rising Star

Having been put on the 80/20 trial today, the BT speed tester now works! I don't know whether this is because of the change to my service or a fix to the speed tester. It shows my profile as 72.89 down and 20 up, unfortunately the download test only registered 28Mbps compared with the 67Mbps I am getting with other testers, but that's probably a glitch. Upload test showed 16.16
Cathotel
Grafter

@JoJo
Hi,
From KevinG's comment it would appear I can get this fixed too by going onto the 80/20 trial? Smiley
I don't want to compromise anything you've asked BT to look at though ref their tester, so please advise whether I could apply for the trial but in the questions section of the application state "Please don't configure until BT get back to JoJo" or something like that?
Pete
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Pete,
I would either wait for the reply or just apply for it now. I received a reply from BT saying they'd not heard of any similar reports but would look into the examples I'd supplied. So, I would recommend you just go for the trial.
Jojo Smiley