Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speedtester Changes

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BT Speedtester Changes

Which is more than you can say when uploading pictures to this forum - it stalled twice  Sad Sad on the previous post and even managed to post twice  Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my one used to be a very incorrect download speed, the new one is more like my SamKnows monitor performance and close to the Mybroadband results
Download speedachieved during the test was - 10.56 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 11.74 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
864 Kbps

0 Kbps 832 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 864Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 832 Kbps
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Glad someone else started this, saved me some typing!
Only had to accept the Java Applet thingie once earlier this evening when I first ran this new test, it didn't prompt me again just now.
It certainly runs faster, particularly the "checking user details" which used to take for ever.
The speed results "seem" a bit more realistic/accurate and compared with their Beta tester well, in fact on the last test I got 6.26M on both (fix??) the standard test and the beta, which for my 6.5M profile I considered to be quite good. The last test on My Broadband Speed just now gave me 6201kbps. Earlier this evening I got 6.19 & 6.14 from the standard test and 6.24 from the Beta.
I was also a bit miffed that the results (speed test & sync speed) were only to 3 figures, what's up with 4 figures then?
Also miffed that the profile was not displayed prior to the actual speed test. Although my line is normally stable, I do border the 6.5/6M profile and if I'm anticipating a profile change back up, I used to cancel the test once the profile was displayed before the speed test so that if I really wanted I could check again in less than an hour. But as the test can now be run every 10 minutes if one really wanted, can't have everything I supposed  Wink
You've got to laugh a bit when speed testers (all of them) give you faster speeds than your profile (or sync speed), up & down. The BT Beta gave me 6.55 the other day.
PS. Jim, how come you got an upload speed test? I've never seen that. I've only rarely seen an assured rate test with an ages ago tester and I think that's when it's connected to the wrong tester for some reason (I don't have an assured rate session).
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried this new BT speedtester and found that it crashed Firefox 10.0 on Ubuntu 10.10 EVERY time !
On browsing to http://speedtester.bt.com/, I got a pop-up asking to accept the verified digitally signed applet, on clicking [Run] Firefox would crash and close down to the crash reporting dialogue.
I then browsed to http://java.com/en/ and ran the "Do I have Java?" tool - to verify that my Firefox Java plugin was still working (as it has always worked on this PC for the last year or so without any problems !).  The tool said "Your Java version: Version 6 Update 20"
I then looked in the Firefox plug-ins to see which Java plugin was currently installed, and discovered "icedtea6-plugin" and "openjdk-6-jre".
I uninstalled those open-source Java plug-ins, then reconfigured Firefox to pickup the proprietary "sun-java6-plugin" which was already installed on the system.
Went back to http://java.com/en/, which now reports that I have "Your Java version: Version 6 Update 26"
Ran the BT speedtester again and now it works - phew !

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

purleigh, I'd check to see if you can upgrade your Java to Update 30. HTH.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was about to reply with "I will wait until the official Ubuntu repository gets updated"
BUT then I discovered this ! -
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-sun-java-6-in-ubuntu-11-10-using-ppa.html
Sun Java 6 packages are being removed from Ubuntu in the near future for the following reasons:
- As of August 24th 2011, Canonical no longer have permission to redistribute new Java packages as Oracle has retired the “Operating System Distributor License for Java”.
- Oracle has published an advisory about security issues in the version of Java currently in the partner archive. Some of these issues are currently being exploited in the wild.
- Due to the severity of the security risk, Canonical released a security update for the Sun JDK browser plugin which disables the plugin on all machines.
- In the near future, Canonical will remove all Sun JDK packages from the Partner archive. This will be accomplished by pushing empty packages to the archive, so that the Sun JDK will be removed from all users machines when they do a software update. Users of these packages who have not migrated to an alternative solution will experience failures after the package updates have removed Oracle Java from the system.

Looks like I need to find an alternative trusted PPA to pickup the "sun-java6" components from !

EDIT: I have started a new thread regarding the Linux Java issue - to avoid this "BT Speedtester Changes" thread getting sidetracked !
Canonical is removing Sun Java from Ubuntu on 16th February 2012 !
paulpicks21
Grafter

It certainly is miles faster and appears to be pretty much in line with the results I get from speedtest.net now whereas previously it was reading around 2-3meg slower.

Paul.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Anyone else noticed that the "DSL connection rate" (sync speed) has disappeared from the new version?
Speedtest.net and MybroadbandSpeed always used to report higher throughput speeds both up and down, but I've just done back-to-back tests and the BT tester now reports slightly higher speeds than the other two.  Roll_eyes
Given that there was a "suspicion" that the other testers add the overheads back into the result and were therefore not a true reflection of actual throughput I'm wondering if BT now does the same (or in fact was previously under-reporting for some reason.)  Undecided
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=JayG]Anyone else noticed that the "DSL connection rate" (sync speed) has disappeared from the new version?
No -
delem
Grafter

Just an observation in case it helps anyone else.
I was finding that the new version of the BT speedtester errored every time using Firefox 10.0.1 and Java 7. I changed back to Java 6 update 30 and it started working fine. It was working with the previous set up on Saturday morning but not since Sunday.
JayG
Pro

Quote from: purleigh
[quote=JayG]Anyone else noticed that the "DSL connection rate" (sync speed) has disappeared from the new version?

No -

Could be a 20CN/21CN thing?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Could be as I get the DSL Connection Rate but don't get an upstream test 2.
I'm on 20CN.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
JayG
Pro

So, one step forward, half a step back for some of us, and an additional element of doubt for everyone (not like BT at all!!)   Roll_eyes
hadden
Grafter

I think the missing Connection Rate is a ADSL1/ADSL2 thing rather than 20CN/21CN
I'm on 21CN and ADSL1.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: KevinG
"The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."
(Firefox 10.0.1 or IE9, Java 6 u30)

No joy for me, I still get this error, even on a different computer. The old version was working fine.