Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Modem Change

andun84
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

FTTC Modem Change

I got my letter this morning advising that my modem needed to be changed so I've logged on a booked a visit for Tuesday morning. I wasn't aware of this issue however I have experienced unexplained dropouts in regular cycles from my broadband went in so perhaps I am being affected. In any case a quick google reveals that there is some debate over whether they should be replacing the PSU with the modem or not. Apparently the new psu is white and is rated higher. Has plusnet any position on whether we should be getting the psu changed along with modem or not before I start demanding things that I shouldn't be?  Grin
I'll ask politely anyway for it irrespective but I would a bit more demanding if policy was that it should be changed.
57 REPLIES 57
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTC Modem Change

This is actually the responsibility of Openreach as they supply and install the modem.  It seems reasonable that the replacement modem willl include a replacement power adaptor as that does seem to be part of the package of the later modem.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
andun84
Rising Star

Yeah but I can't contact open reach directly to confirm this can I as I'm not their customer - that's Plusnet.
One of the things I seen was that one guy from Kelly Communications claim that openreach were supplying some packages without the psu however I have no way of verifying if that is the case or if that is just the general tide of misinformation that tends to surround these things.
shadowff6
Grafter

I got the same letter today and I was rather surprised not to see anything official on the plus.net site about the issue (or perhaps I'm going blind!  Undecided ). Maybe I'm a little paranoid but it did cross my mind that it might be some sort of scam somehow, although I am relieved to see somebody else received the same letter.
andun84
Rising Star

I must admit my first reaction was that this was a scam also which is why I googled it. My brother phoned me to ask me the same question also. Odd given the amount of message I get them about almost everything else.
WWWombat
Grafter

I moved house recently, so got a new visit from an Openreach engineer - middle of January.
Compared to the first install, 8 months ago, he was considerably more insistent on mounting the modem, and doing so vertically. He also wanted to use the new modem, and specifically wanted to use the new PSU (which is white, rather than black).
I've seen it said (but can't check right now) that both modem & PSU are rated at a higher current.
If that's the way Openreach are acting at installation, I'd say you should treat the stuff delivered by Kelly in the same way.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
piattj
Dabbler

I received the Plusnet letter re fiber modem... I went to the kelly website & it shows "fully booked" every available day . It shows dates for the next few months with no available slots, so I guess one needs to wait for a call ...  Huh
Any experiences of this modem change out there?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: WWWombat
I've seen it said (but can't check right now) that both modem & PSU are rated at a higher current.

If it helps anyone, I have the '3B' (the latest, I think), Router is marked 12V 1A, White PSU is marked 'BT Switching Power Supply' Input 100-240V - 50/60Hz 500mA Output 12.0V [DC] 1.0A.
It could be that the PSU voltage output is better regulated at 12V as any over-voltage may well make the modem run hotter.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
phil4
Grafter

Letter received Saturday, booked for this morning straight away.
Modem has been replaced, but -not- the power supply.  That's still the old black one.
Apparently (I wasn't there) a new power supply wasn't included.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: shadowff6
I was rather surprised not to see anything official on the plus.net site about the issue (or perhaps I'm going blind!  Undecided ).

There should be a link on the letter directing you to an FAQ on this site, was that not there? (It was on the letter I received) http://community.plus.net/fibre-modem
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
andun84
Rising Star

Chris you are right there is a link. I think I gave up at the point on the letter immediately above the link to the FAQ where it was telling us to contact Kelly Communications. I must have presumed it was just more ways to contact Kelly Communications  Embarrassed
Modem changed. Had to ask for the white psu but was given without issue. Getting the router to reconnect to the internet took a lot longer than a normal reconnect. Guy from Kelly Comms said that another Plusnet customer had the same problem. He had to reboot everything. Modem, router & computer before he could get his up and running again.
JEB
Grafter

Did all the letters go out in one batch because I haven't received one?

James
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

No, going out in batches, also not all customers need them.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
JEB
Grafter

Thanks Kelly.  I've had FTTC since mid 2010 so should definitely be on the list.  I'll wait and see what appears over the next couple of weeks.

James
G3YBO
Grafter

Modem

New modem fitted to day, Kelly Comms, very quick service and a reboot on the Router and up and running again.........Roger