cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force9 relay is wrongly trapping sent email as spam

Marteknet
Grafter

I received a spoofed email pertaining to come from Paypal, this is not a issue in itself as I can easily spot fake emails.
I went on to forward the email to spoof@paypal.co.uk, the reporting address that Paypal ask customers to use to report fake emails.
The plusnet mail server then rejected this as being SPAM, I phoned customer support to point out this issue to them, adding that as Paypal request that customers use that email address to report fake emails it is clearly not Spam and therefore should be allowed to be sent. Plusnet customer support replied that they see it as Spam and will not let these emails be sent.
In my mind this is taking away a valuable tool that people could use to report fake emails.
I have supplied this info to Paypal to make them aware that Plusnet are blocking this valuable service they provide.
8 REPLIES 8
MrT
Grafter

Re: spoof email reporting is being blocked

Quote from: Marteknet
The plusnet mail server then rejected this as being SPAM

I sent an email to spoof@paypal.co.uk without problem a week or so ago. I know it got there because I've had 2 replies.
I sent mine from MS Outlook via Plusnet. Were you using webmail or something else?
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Were you forwarding the spoof email or sending it as an attachment?  I should think the latter would be a better option, if Paypal accept it.
Chris
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: ChrisL
Were you forwarding the spoof email or sending it as an attachment?

Mine was forwarded.
Marteknet
Grafter

I was forwarding it in HTML format direct from Outlook.
Here is the server responce:
Server Responce: '*** ********************** message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.'.(Acount '***********' SMTP Server: 'relay.force9.net', Error Number: 0x800ccc6d).
I have tried again and get the same responce every time.
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: Marteknet
Server Responce: '*** ********************** message rejected due to spam or virus.

Are you able to forward other emails from Outlook without them being blocked by Plusnet. If not then it's just possible you have a virus.  Undecided
Marteknet
Grafter

There is No Virus I have looked in the headers and body of the email there is no code as such and no attachments, I have scanned it for Virus's with Kaspersky using the most detailed scan and it is clean the only dodgy part is the link in the email that will open a browser window that is plainly not part of the Paypal portal, it just a plain old HTML email. The customer support person I talked to said it was blocked because the filtering system Force9 are using thinks it is SPAM.
The filter force9 are using may have picked up on a known spoof URL in code such as
< a href="http://www.spoofedaddress.com/ripoffscript.htm"> Accout Update </a>
I have changed the URL shown here. I think they are using Spamcop blacklists to filter emails.
dick:quote
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If MrT is sending via relay.plusnet and you via relay.force9 then the situation seems clear:
If the misleading title of your thread were changed to say this, I reckon it would more quickly attract the attention needed to do something about it....
Chris
Marteknet
Grafter

Re: Force9 relay is wrongly trapping sent email as spam

Thanks for the tip Chris