cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fault terms explanation

anytbut
Grafter

Fault terms explanation

Continuing from my ongoing fault (which has popped up with the router PN lent me now), faults team ran a few tests while i was on the phone the other evening and just wanted a explanation of the terms as my google-fu is lacking today. Smiley
DSL status check and KBD failed not recognising CBUK number (new one on me this)
Router is in sync but wholesale shows out of sync (one piece of equipment is telling porkies?)
wholesale check continued to show circuit out of sync *Wholesale checks made on CLI*
I know the bottom line is currently my BB is a bit borked,just wondered on the terms used.
18 REPLIES 18
whelpton
Grafter

Re: Fault terms explanation

@ Anything But:
Ill start with the acronyms first:
DSL status check: A tool we use to check the speed your routers connecting to us at, any errors that are occuring on the line and what the signal to noise ratio is. This is the tool that also informs us if you are in sync.
KBD: Knowledge based diagnostics, pretty much the god of all diagnostic tools, checks pretty much everything about your connection including if there is anything physically wrong with the line and if there are any network issues at the moment.
CBUK: A line identification number which we need to run either of the above two tests, we can usually get around it by using the phone number instead.
CLI: Caller Line Identification, just a fancy phrase for your phone number, which as mentioned above would have been used if our diagnostic tests wouldn't recognise the CBUK.
Sync: The connection between your router and the telephone exchange; I look on this as the physical connection. When your line is showing as out of sync, the router essentially can't hear the exchange.
As far as I can tell, your router believes it can communicate with the exchange, but the exchange isn't reporting a connection.
I hope this has cleared things up for you, I would comment further on the actual fault itself but I don't work in the faults team and wouldn't want to give you any misinformation about whats going on here.
anytbut
Grafter

Understand that Keith,just wanted a explanation of those terms.
Thanks. Smiley
anytbut
Grafter

Just had a update on my ticket and a new bunch of terms to be translated. Cheesy
Tags showing 20CN plusnet tag
e.Co showing asset ceased
No open orders in e.Co
Nothing in assets for e.Co Plus.
Google throws up nothing so over to you. Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Oh dear
Basically that means that the line is still tagged to Plusnet so nobody else can snitch it but it also means that the system thinks that somebody has ceased broadband on the line but the system doesn't show any instructions to do that and doesn't show an order from Plusnet to do anything or to provide broadband
anytbut
Grafter

Oh dear indeed!
How the hell am i still able to use the connection?
Did add it to the ticket and dont know if it`s relevant,but i know i run home - cab1 - cab2 - exchange instead of the usual home - cab - exchange.
Guess it shouldn`t do,just throwing what i know out there.
I take it this would also explain why i`m unable to use the BT speeterster,just comes up with "Authorisation failed Incorrect Telephone Number - Please try again" as it cant *see* my connection.
prichardson
Grafter

The situation with the CAB is not a concern from what is described here.
I can't see your account to check more, can you let us know the ticket ID please?
anytbut
Grafter

Ticket no: #49608961
Is it possible i could lose my current connection,seeing that everything is saying it shouldn`t be there,even though i`m still using it?
prichardson
Grafter

Based on my initial assessment of what had been posted, yes there is a risk. However, that depends on the cause of the ceased status of the asset. There are a number of harmless reasons for this, though some of these have already been covered. As a result I wanted to see it in more detail.
Now I have been able to, I have located one item as a possible source.
I have flagged it internally and sent the required details to our suppliers to investigate.
anytbut
Grafter

Many thinks for following it up,hopefully the connection will stay or i`ll get lynched by a irate teenager!
How serious is the item you found (tech wise).
prichardson
Grafter

I located an order that was to re-jumper your connection between points in the exchange. This is done as part of standard maintenance and also as they remove obsolete network equipment.
This order had been cancelled on the 19th, however not by our request (we cancel a number of these each week on business). These also do not show in eCo (the broadband order platform from our suppliers), but does show in BBCR (a read only reporting system that allows us to check order and fault status updates).
I have requested they send this issue to the ASG (Application Support Group) to raise a case to correct the status. In the time being, I have also asked the faults team to get a manual fault raised.
anytbut
Grafter

Thanks for the explanation. Smiley
anytbut
Grafter

Just another quickie,would this situation with the connection that shouldn`t,be the cause of my high fec/crc/hec errors.
Errors:
  FEC:  3007119
  CRC:  652
  HEC:  2515
anytbut
Grafter

I do know talktalk are putting equipment in my exchange(live date of 18/01/12). Someone moved something they shouldn't maybe?
prichardson
Grafter

TalkTalk thing is a Red Herring. The item I found has been bang on the money as to why the line is showing is a ceased status in one of our systems. We are awaiting the closure of an order at our suppliers side to allow us to raise a fault.
The physical work that took place to perform this order will likely be the cause of the problems we are seeing for on your line. Right now, our line tests show you have absolutely no service, which is know is not the case.
On this basis, it is likely that some records related to the cable pairs your line is meant to be attached to are incorrect, or has physically been attached to a different set. The moment we can raise a fault, we will arrange a "frames direct" task to get an exchange engineer to correct these.
All things being well, all faults will be resolved by that work. Failing that, we will at the very least be in a position that we can test the line properly again and diagnose the source of the problem.