Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Infinity - VDSL

Docrob
Grafter

BT Infinity - VDSL

Hiya,
Our area now has VDSL available,  BT is quoting 34M for my line. My worry is that I have a number of Static IP addresses and the modern supplied by Plus net has fixed NAT and it cannot be turned off. What Modern/ bridge do I need for my setup? Ideally, what I would like is something that replaces my existing modern and does not require changes to my network.
Rob
14 REPLIES 14
itsme
Grafter

Re: BT Infinity - VDSL

The static IP addresses are they WAN or LAN. If they are WAN I'm surprise that you are asking the question.
Docrob
Grafter

They are Wan.
I have a number of Servers with static IP addresses one of these is my gateway to my LAN which does the NAT. I am asking how do I interface these with the VDSL line if I cannot turn off the NAT of the plus net supplied modem? As far as I can see this will stop the servers including my gateway, connecting to the outside world

itsme
Grafter

Which adsl router are you using at the moment? PN does not supply a modem BT does this.  PN supply a router so if this does not do the job I would suggest looking at an ethernet router from the same manufacturer as your current adsl router.
Docrob
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. I am rather confused  Lips_are_sealed
I think I am beginning to understand things. I hope I have got things right now. As I understand it:
a. BT supply a modem which is just that.
b. plus net supply a router which connects to the modem and does NAT etc and connects through the BT modem to plus net via PPPoE ?
If the above is correct then I need to replace the plus net router with something that I can set to no NAT etc. My current ADSL modem is a Linksys WAG320N, can this be used to connect to the BT modem ?
Thanks
itsme
Grafter

I'm surprised that someone using multiple public IP addresses does not understand this. Are you sure that you have been issued with a block of IP addresses by PN?
Docrob
Grafter

Yes they were and I understand how to route multiple addresses. However, my question was not about the ip addresses but about how to connect to VDSL, I was not aware that the modem and router would be separate.
When I asked Plus net about VDSL they said:
"As it stands, our fibre packages come with a Netgear WNR1000 router, which we offer full support for. This, unfortunately, does not have the option to switch off NAT although there is a facility to use 'port forwarding'. We are happy for you to use any compatible router with our fibre service, however, we are regrettably unable to support this"
There was no information about a BT modem and port forwarding is not applicable in this case.
As I am business user, I have to make sure that  I do not loose my connection for any length of time. Is my assumption that I can connect my WAG320N to the BT supplied modem in lieu of what plus net supply connect ?
itsme
Grafter

No you can't use the WAG320N you need to get a router only. How are you using the WiFi on the WAG320N if you have switched off the NAT? Will the Linksys WRT120N do what you want?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Now I was going to say that itsme, since its a combined modem/router, BUT I googled it and this review says
Unusually for an ADSL router, the WAG320N has Gigabit Ethernet, which is great if you need a fast connection to move large files across your local network. The first Ethernet port can be reconfigured as a WAN port, making this router suitable for use with a cable modem.

So it looks like you could use it... you just need to configure the port as a WAN port and set it for pppoe.
Can't seem to find a manual online so its over to you docrob, I presume you've got one...
Managed to find a manual on the US Cisco site, page 5 says
Setup Tab
The Setup tab provides the device’s basic setup functions.
For detailed information on the Setup tab, refer to the
Utility’s online help pages.
Setup > Basic Setup
The Basic Setup screen allows you to change the device’s
general settings. The following connection types
(encapsulations) are available:
•• RFC 2364 PPPoA
•• RFC 2516 PPPoE
•• RFC 2684 Routed
•• IPoA
•• RFC 2684 Bridged - Dynamic IP Address
•• RFC 2684 Bridged - Static IP Address
•• Bridge Mode Only
NOTE FOR USERS IN NEW ZEALAND: To set up
the device, follow these instructions:
1. Access the Setup > Basic Setup screen.
2. Select RFC 2364 PPPoA from the
Encapsulation drop-down menu.
3. For the Virtual Circuit ID, enter 0 for the VPI
and 100 for the VCI.
4. Select VC for Multiplexing.
5. Select Multimode from the DSL Modulation
drop-down menu.
6. Enter your User Name and Password details
from your ISP.
7. Click Save Settings.
Setup > Ethernet
The Ethernet screen allows you to configure the device’s
Ethernet settings. It also allows you to set up the first
Ethernet port as a WAN port.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

itsme
Grafter

Yes you right it seem to have the facility to do that. Under the Ethernet tab in the setup option
I don't normally go any further then the description, which is ADSL2+ Modem Router  Embarrassed
So @Docrob you need to setup port 1 to WAN and then the BT modem will plug into this port. The downside is that you lose one of your LAN ports so if this is an issue you need to buy a switch hub.
Docrob
Grafter

Thanks guys,
I have been looking for a manual, the UK end doesn't provide one as such. I tried the US site but it sends me back to EU.
@itsme. I have the wifi off, just using it as a straight ADSL modem. I already have a hub on the lag posts to feed my servers so loosing a port won't be an issue.
Thanks again
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I got my manual ( user guide ) from here http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-eu/support/gateways/WAG320N

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

knowdice
Rising Star

I use a Draytek 2130n to do this, what's really good is it handles (bridges) the public IPs and also does NAT at the same time to a private LAN range.
Another choice is the Draytek 2750 which also replaces the VDSL modem at the same time, but be aware that this is not really approved of as the service supplied by BT includes the modem.
phil4
Grafter

I'm a bit puzzled as to why yout want, or even need to turn NAT off?
In both a private and professional capacity I've run servers using NAT off, transparent NAT, and NAT on.  All easily possible.
In short, even with a Router that forces NAT, you shouldn't have any problems with running any number of servers
I would suggest instead your bigger problem may be finding a router that a) Support multiple WAN IP address an IP Address block and b) Allow rule mappings from/to those multiple IPs.
I use a sonicwall TZ210 at home, which can do the above, but most home routers I've seen wouldn't stand a chance.  Not because of NAT, just that they don't understand multiple WAN IPs.
knowdice
Rising Star

Quote from: phil4
most home routers I've seen wouldn't stand a chance.  Not because of NAT, just that they don't understand multiple WAN IPs.

Surprisingly most of the Zyxel range support this, but not simultaneously with NAT - one or the other.