cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avast-iyogi. is this a scam

juliasdream
Grafter

Avast-iyogi. is this a scam

I just turned on my laptop to find my Avast program popping up on the screen and in big red letters it said "Unsecured" wit a "Fix now" button which I clicked but nothing happened
I was surprised to see on the same page a customer service freephone number.
I called the number to be greeted with a recording saying that it was iYogi providing free technical support for Avast users and I got through to someone who sounded very helpful
Being that I was calling to someone in Bangelore, India and that he wanted to remotely take over my computer alarm, bells started ringing and I hung up
Could it have been genuine?
Could a bogus company have infiltrated the Avast system and made changes to the way it looks making me think I was at risk just to get my info and take control of my computer?
Or am I just being over cautious?
A freephone help line from a free anti virus software program seems a little too good to be true
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Avast-iyogi. is this a scam

juliasdream
Grafter

Thanks OldJim
It looks like I'm not wrong to be suspicious. IYogi is clearly to be avoided
Just to play safe I'm going to uninstall Avast and re-install it and do a full scan
I run malwarebytes once a month as a precaution so I'll run that too
I'd rather pay a company like kaperski for a full program than to give iyogi anything. I don't trust them at all
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

on the strength of the OP, and the linky provided by Oldjim...... I have uninstalled AVAST,.... and replaced it with Avira.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Why don't you try http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Because in all the reputable independent tests I have seen Avira is much better than MSE
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Oldjim
.. Avira is much better than MSE

I think "much" may be overstating things.  You could refer to http://www.av-comparatives.org/ but the situation is complicated by the fact that the comparison there is between Microsoft Security Essentials and the "Premium" (i.e. not free) version of Avira.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Oldjim
Because in all the reputable independent tests I have seen Avira is much better than MSE

Ah yes but If you notice when Avira takes these tests that they request their heuristic's be set to high/advanced ( Avira users take note ) And thus giving out higher false positives, If anyone knows how to protect their own Operating system then surely Its Microsoft?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

There is a case to be made for running unpopular security software!  Avira isn't popular in these parts; I see about one computer per year running it.  But I have seen a number of computers where a virus has taken hold and managed to block Microsoft Security Essentials from starting.  I think MSE is suffering from its own popularity now, so virus writers are taking specific measures to attack it.  It's well-nigh impossible to run tests for this because it requires a virus that is sufficiently new that it isn't immediately recognised by the security software.