Saturday 2nd August 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1]

Blocking unwanted phone calls

« on 27/11/2011, 15:18 »
I have been looking at the following phone on the Amazon site,

Panasonic KX-TG8522EB DECT Twin Digital Cordless Phone Set with Answer Machine - Black
by Panasonic
4.5 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (164 customer reviews) Like (82)
RRP:    89.99
Price:    42.99 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
You Save:    47.00 (52%)

And one of the features of this phone is incoming call barring.
I am aware of the telephone preference service and blocking of silent calls but I have never seen this particular feature included with the actual telephone.
I Guess no one will know the answer to this question but I wondered if this feature could block calls that the other services were unable to do ?
The fleeting hour of life of those who love the hills is quickly spent, but the hills are eternal, always there will be the lonely ridge, the dancing beck, the silent forest, the exhilaration of the summits. These are for the seeking and those who seek and find while there is still time will be blessed both in mind & body.
  • Mav
  • View Profile
« Reply #1 on 27/11/2011, 15:40 »
Looking at this link under Call management it appears that you can bar upto 30 incomming numbers.

Not sure how useful that is. I assume it is numbers you already know about. Does the phone just not ring for those numbers?

Edited for wrong link.

« Last Edit: 27/11/2011, 15:44 by Mav »

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
  • Force 'E'
  • Not young enough to know everything
  • View Profile
« Reply #2 on 27/11/2011, 16:29 »
From the Instruction Manual

Incoming call barring (Caller ID subscribers only)
This feature allows the unit to reject calls from specified phone numbers that you do not want to answer such as junk calls.
When a call is received, the unit does not ring while the caller is being identified. If the phone number matches an entry in the call barred list, the unit sends out a busy tone to the caller, and then disconnects the call.
Computers are wonderful - if anything goes wrong then no one is to blame.

Plusnet Unlimited & Talk Anytime International 300
« Reply #3 on 27/11/2011, 17:13 »
This is the Panasonic phone I bought in September - http://www.amazon.co.uk/P...qid=1317408101&sr=1-1
The call blocking is very useful - I am registered with Telephone Preference Service but was stilll getting these recorded calls, also I got some constantly calling my number incorrectly so those numbers are now blocked - and I have had no further unwanted calls since doing so!  The caller has to ring first before you can block it and the instructions are very straightforward how to do this.
You need caller ID which I have because of being hard of hearing I find useful.
The phone itself is good as it has extra loud volume with or without the speaker.
Lots of different ring tones to choose from - all of which cause the dog to bark like mad and go to the phone which is very useful if you have put something over it and cannot find it!
  • 7up
  • The UK needs more science, engineering, tech & R&D
  • View Profile
« Reply #4 on 27/11/2011, 17:22 »
There is a free program called teleflow which allows you to create your own phone switchboards, queues etc. Only problem is the hardware support is limited (and still no clarity about whether it supports analogue lines). Easy enough to use though.

Now what I want to know is about smartphones:
Can they record inbound and outbound calls? - either natively or with an app?
Can they operate a white/blacklist for calls and texts? - again natively or with an app?
Those with the least are expected to contribute the most.
« Reply #5 on 27/11/2011, 17:35 »

Link doesn't work for me.
  • MrT
  • View Profile
« Reply #6 on 27/11/2011, 20:21 »
And one of the features of this phone is incoming call barring.

I have the Panasonic KX-TG6612 DECT Twin Digital Cordless Phone Set.

The call barring on this phone works for up to 30 numbers. It will only work if you have Caller ID enabled and the number must not be witheld or otherwise unavailable. Each incoming phone call is checked against the 'call barred list' and the phone only rings when the number is not in that list.

The downside is that it does not work for 'International Unavailable' or 'Witheld Number' so the phone still rings when the scam merchants ring from Barcelona or the Caribbean!  SadAngry

« Reply #7 on 27/11/2011, 20:47 »
Thanks for the feedback on this topic.
I have just ordered one of these phones.
As a side issue the price on Amazon is 42.99.  At John Lewis it's 69 and in the current Argos Catalogue 89.
I Assume Amazon are making a profit on the sale so it makes you think how much items are actually marked up in price.
The fleeting hour of life of those who love the hills is quickly spent, but the hills are eternal, always there will be the lonely ridge, the dancing beck, the silent forest, the exhilaration of the summits. These are for the seeking and those who seek and find while there is still time will be blessed both in mind & body.
« Reply #8 on 29/11/2011, 14:38 »
I guess they are just moving stock before Christmas and are not bothered about any direct sale profit. Reducing storage costs can increase profits!

As well as TPS, I have a telephone with assignable ring tones so I have some special tones for each member of my family and another tone for all the other numbers in my directory. Any unknown numbers get the default tone which I can choose to ignore.  Smiley

« Reply #9 on 01/12/2011, 07:51 »
I've got the similar phone but the quad version and it has a call barring function same as you describe. I dunno if it works as I haven't found a number/caller to bar. Yet!
The best thing about this phone set is the answer phone which has certainly been effective against the 'silent callers' and 'no number'
given callers. Its just keeping a guard on the answer machine and await the caller to announce who they are then answering if it is the person you want to speak with. The PPI calls appear to have dropped orf completely Cool
  • Petlew
  • Damp squib
  • View Profile
« Reply #10 on 01/12/2011, 09:54 »
I have the Panasonic KX-TG 6622 that lacks the call barring facility, but I don't miss it. As Filibuster says, the answering machine seems to put-off unwanted callers, who usually have "number withheld" as the Cli, so as others have said barring won't work anyway. More importantly for us, for complex reasons our GP rings here occasionally and always blocks his Cli, but I certainly don't want to miss his calls. So even if my phone had the facility I probably wouldn't switch it on.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most...
« Reply #11 on 01/12/2011, 13:20 »
On the same vein, I just had a call from my Mother-In-Law using Skype from Portugal. She's just 'discovered' the Internet. I wish Skype was a bit like MSN Messenger where you can appear off-line to chosen individuals without actually blocking them.
  • Petlew
  • Damp squib
  • View Profile
« Reply #12 on 01/12/2011, 13:47 »
One thing that "sort of bothers" me about the answering machines though; from time to time there are horror stories about scam calls that create much money charging simply by answering the call. I understand that there is supposed to be a "legal" limit to such calls but, the rumour machine suggests that scammers can get around this fairly easily.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most...
« Reply #13 on 01/12/2011, 13:52 »
Petlew - the call barring is only for individual numbers that you can set on phone - you canot set it to bar calls in general. 
Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE